U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,532,217 times
Reputation: 1594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicago isn't exactly a hot topic once you leave this forum, and that's just the honest truth. You need to be trying to get up to LA's level before you try to prove your better than NYC.

Cities like ATL and MIA get more publicity than CHI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
thats because of all the celebrities.

I know ebony magazine, which is based out of chicago, talks about atl all the time since it's the black metropolis. To tell u the truth atl has more opportunities for blacks than chicago

but i digress.


That's actually fairly true. I mean when I think about Chicago, I think of Oprah and now Barack Obama; However, it seems these days, if your city doesn't have the most celebrities or flashiness (not that Chicago is ultimately lacking in any of these categories) you're kind of left out in the cold in the world of advertising. I would say NYC and LA in that respect though. If you're talking about image though, then I totally agree. I mean, I love Chicago as much as the next guy, but NYC, LA (perhaps Atlanta, Boston, Miami, etc.) put a bigger image in my head. That could possibly be because Chicago is very multifaceted though.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-12-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
You're right! Chicago hasn't cured cancer! But then, we aren't on here bragging about our medical district (though we could--it's just that there are so many other things worth bragging about).

Chicago succeeds at what it does best (architecture, service industry, and finance/trading). We might be curing cancer, but we're keeping the world's economy going.

Pick your battles, mate.

Anyway, it's great that Houston has such a wonderful medical center. You should be proud, and not hate.
I don't hate. I'm just giving Spire a taste of his own medicine. You're bragging about architecture, service industry, and finance/trading. So what's the difference? You don't hate either!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I know, what gives?
I like Chicago too. So I don't hate on it, but I will defend against stupid comments on Houston.
Yeah and Spire has made plenty of stupid comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
All of your comments are poorly thought out. Chicago is were EVERY SINGLE RAIL CROSSES! Unless you want to pay $6.00 for a single orange, you NEED Chicago.

You're the one that has a very high view of Houston which is great if you like it, I really don't care. Since you decided to forget that you starting bashing Chicago before anyone said anything about Houston, let me tell you this.

Chicago >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Houston

End.of.thread. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never bashed Chicago. You're full of crap period!!! You say you don't care but you do because you made a bunch of ridiculous comments about Houston. Houston is greater than Chicago!!! Period!!! You remind me of a two year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
That's only a personal opinion so I don't give it much weight.
That's Spire's personal opinion so I would say it's negative weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post




We did, but Chicago is overall more dense than London
You seem to think denser is better. So according to your logic all the cities in China are 10 times better than Chicago because they're 10 times denser than Chicago. Your arguments are as worthless as your arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
I love how I'm being accused of starting the bashing. I'm proving a point to Frodo that Chicago is just a better city to live in than Houston. So yes, you should bow down . Just Kidding
You proved your point like I proved the world is flat. You must have a real esoteric definition of proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
No kidding, but you know, is it really worth us fighting about? Chicago vs. NYC is worth a fight, because not as many people appreciate Chicago's superiority to the Big Apple.

Yet, when it comes to Houston, everybody pretty much already knows which one is top dog. Outside of this forum, nobody believes Houston is in any way superior to Chicago. Houston may be a great, wonderful city, but it isn't as currently or historically important as Chicago. I mean that's just a fact.

For you Houstonians, I apologize on behalf of my fellow Windy Citizens. We didn't get the nickname "Windy City" for nothing (and by the way, it wasn't for the actual wind). We will go back to ignoring Houston and focusing our attention on showing the world how much better we are than New York (and Chicago is infinitely better than New York).

Dementor, let me tell you in advance that you are on my ignore list. Anything you say will not be read by me, nor will I care about it.

Let that marinate for a while.
Yeah Chicago is called the windy city because of all the hot air the politicians there were blowing. This makes me think of Spire. There is a lot of hot air/BS coming out of Spire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicago isn't exactly a hot topic once you leave this forum, and that's just the honest truth. You need to be trying to get up to LA's level before you try to prove your better than NYC.

Cities like ATL and MIA get more publicity than CHI.
You're exactly right. Most people don't care about Chicago. LA and NYC get all the air time. chitown2pa and Spire fail to realize this. Ignorance is bliss!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,800,369 times
Reputation: 4125
Wow this thread is epic. I won't even bother reading all the pages, and focus son the original post.

Going by the numbers, I think it will by 2020. Texas is more business friendly than Chicago and IL. The previous president and his band of supporters also didn't leave Texas out in the cold either.

Texas is desperately trying to diversify into technology, alternative energies, and expand its industrial base.

It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than Chicago for cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top