Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you want to live in and why?
Indianapolis 48 40.68%
Detroit 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

Does Detroit have any alive malls in downtown? I found this video.

Chapel Square Mall - A True Dead Mall - YouTube

That one kind of makes me think of what Circle Centre Mall in Indianapolis would look like if it ever died out.

Doing Indy - Circle Centre Mall - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Does Detroit have any alive malls in downtown? I found this video.

That one kind of makes me think of what Circle Centre Mall in Indianapolis would look like if it ever died out.
The mall Detroit had was technically a single large department store. This was before the modern day shopping mall which is why it's so huge. But it was demo'd so currently there is no major shopping center downtown. For now, retail is returning one small store at a time.

LIFE - Google Books

I sorta think if Detroit gets a new downtown mall, it'll likely be smaller than Circle Centre. Which obviously is a tough pill to swallow for prideful Detroiters. But it's reality... The problem is that there's already Somerset Mall. It's a good mall but it's 30 minutes away out in the suburbs. Unless Detroit's regional population doubled, I don't see them building two upscale malls to compete with each other.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 01-04-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM

406 posts, read 768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I've never been to downtown Detroit, but judging from that video it is not impressive as it looks from a distance. A lot of those buildings up close look very old and are in serious disrepair. Many of them are abandoned huge skyscrapers, just completely empty sitting there in what is supposed to be the nicer part of the city where corporations and businesses line the buildings and streets.

Indianapolis does not have this problem. It's a much younger city, and its downtown is thriving in comparison. The buildings are all much newer, not even close to as many abandoned buildings, and much more well kept.
exactly what I thought. I don't have to read any more than the first line. Those videos are rather old. our downtown looks a lot different

Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Downtown Detroit......and this video is from last yr and many new things have came to our downtown since then

MODEL D TV: DOWNTOWN SPACE IS THE PLACE - YouTube

greater downtown

midtown (can't find up to date video.....video from 08. but midtown has seen more development than downtown. this shows some of it. once again, much more has come to midtown since)

Living in Midtown Detroit from Model D - YouTube

eastern market

Saturday at Detroit's Eastern Market - YouTube

corktown

Detroit's Corktown Neighborhood from Model D - YouTube

now go ahead continue to post videos from 1999

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
To be fair to Detroit, the Nordstrom at Circle Centre did close, so the mall may be starting to die. I still have faith that Simon might find someone.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
To be fair to Detroit, the Nordstrom at Circle Centre did close, so the mall may be starting to die. I still have faith that Simon might find someone.
is Nordstroms a major company in Indy? like comparable to what GM is to Detroit

Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM

23 posts, read 38,140 times
It amazes me anyone would pick detroit over indy. I choose naptown for very obvious reasons. Its growing, going places and isn't the poorest most abandoned and violent city in the country. I would literally choose any city over detroit. Icant image why anyone would every want to live there outside of family ties.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBILLYBADASS View Post
It amazes me anyone would pick detroit over indy. I choose naptown for very obvious reasons. Its growing, going places and isn't the poorest most abandoned and violent city in the country. I would literally choose any city over detroit. Icant image why anyone would every want to live there outside of family ties.
have you ever been to Detroit?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
why did you create this post? it seems as a deliberate attack agaisnt Detroit in order to make Indy look better?
Probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
have you ever been to Detroit?
I have, many times in fact.

I am a frequent visitor to Detroit and someone who has a lot of family in the Detroit area; I think Detroit has more going for it as far as architecture. I am sorry, but much of Detroit is an absolute mess. Sure, Corktown and Midtown are great. I think we are kidding ourselves if we really think much of the rest of Detroit is coming back any time soon, or offers more than Indianapolis. I think the fact that Detroit has some suburbs that are far superior to what you find in Indianapolis speaks to that. I love Royal Oak, and Ferndale is a nice little spot. BUT, shouldn't something like Ferndale be in Detroit?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Probably

I have, many times in fact.

I am a frequent visitor to Detroit and someone who has a lot of family in the Detroit area; I think Detroit has more going for it as far as architecture. I am sorry, but much of Detroit is an absolute mess. Sure, Corktown and Midtown are great. I think we are kidding ourselves if we really think much of the rest of Detroit is coming back any time soon, or offers more than Indianapolis. I think the fact that Detroit has some suburbs that are far superior to what you find in Indianapolis speaks to that. I love Royal Oak, and Ferndale is a nice little spot. BUT, shouldn't something like Ferndale be in Detroit?
I think I got the gist of your post the first time you posted it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City