Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,212,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I love Philly but since when is it the innovation capital of the world? According to the rankings I've seen it goes Boston, SF, and NYC as the top 3 on the planet...though Philly usually ranks pretty high to.

However it's insane to think it's going to jump up to the #4 CSA GDP
I'm sorry about putting San Antonio there. I didn't think. But this list is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I'm sorry about putting San Antonio there. I didn't think. But this list is accurate.
It would take some effort for Philly to pass DFW, but passing Chicago???? I just don't see it.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,424 times
Interesting how Houston is categorized as both Houston-Baytown-Sugarland & Houston-Baytown-Huntsville in the original post.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Interesting how Houston is categorized as both Houston-Baytown-Sugarland & Houston-Baytown-Huntsville in the original post.
Yes, the CSA and MSA have 2 different names.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, the CSA and MSA have 2 different names.

Weird. I'll never understand why we all can't just use one geographical metric.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM

725 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It would take some effort for Philly to pass DFW, but passing Chicago???? I just don't see it.
Philly's growth is steady. And it will stay that way. Chicago will decline more (sadly). And Houston will settle and then bust. I love both. But these are facts that just repeats. Philly just came out its BUST. Half a million ppl. Sheesh...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
My projections of 2025 are:
1. N.Y (You already know the story)
2. LA. (will be the same, just more population. LOL!)
3. D.C (will be finally be dense)
4. San Francisco {tech capital of the world} /Philadelphia {Art/innovation capital of the world/major history spot}(will be top destinations in the world soon)
6. Chicago (makes me sad to put it this low.)
7. Houston (when will y'all CD'ers ever learn? Boom doesn't last long!!! Houston WILL level out soon.)
8. Dallas/FTW
9. Boston (Boston is Boston)
10. San Antonio (Dont believe me just watch. Guys this city is amazing! It will be a top destination. Will explode very soon)
Philly is a fine city and metro area, but I would not go ahead and call it the innovation capital of the world, or the US, or even the Northeast.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Philly's growth is steady. And it will stay that way. Chicago will decline more (sadly). And Houston will settle and then bust. I love both. But these are facts that just repeats. Philly just came out its BUST. Half a million ppl. Sheesh...
Uhh...the Chicago MSA population (or CSA population, take your pick) is at an all-time historical high. It will be the next (and one of only 3) US CSAs to have reached > 10,000,000 people. Its % GDP change from 2010 to 2011 was 3.6% (compared to Philly's 2.8%). There is a $181 Billion(!) difference between the two CSA GDPs--that's nearly the entire economy of the Denver metro area in difference!

I don't know what crack you are smoking, but you should pass it along!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Do you know what SA GDP is right now???? SA would have to annex half of Texas to get to the top ten.

SA's GDP is about 70B. That is 200B less than the current number ten. Even SA plus Austin only gets you to 150B. Give it all the counties south to the Valley and north to El Paso and it still would not crack the top ten

San Antonio's GMP was $87 Billion in 2010, $81 billion in 2008 but since 2010 the city has experienced its strongest economic growth. GMP is defined as the market value of all final receipt of goods and services produced within a metropolitan area in a given period, which is usually one year.

If a city has a lower cost of living and lower cost of housing it will have an even lower GMP. This is not an apples to apples comparison especially if you try to compare Texas cities with California or New York. Population and territory size also has a lot do with these much higher GMP numbers found in certain metro areas as does CSA vs MSA numbers. If San Antonio, Houston or Austin were in CA or NY what would their GMP numbers be then?

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-22-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM

287 posts, read 341,211 times
OK, Philly probably isn't the most innovative city in the world, but it certainly is America's creativity capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City