Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
OK, Philly probably isn't the most innovative city in the world, but it certainly is America's creativity capital.
Most creative trolls, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's GMP was $87 Billion in 2010, $81 billion in 2008 but since 2010 the city has experienced its strongest economic growth. GMP is defined as the market value of all final receipt of goods and services produced within a metropolitan area in a given period, which is usually one year.

If a city has a lower cost of living and lower cost of housing it will have an even lower GMP. This is not an apples to apples comparison especially if you try to compare Texas cities with California or New York. Population and territory size also has a lot do with these much higher GMP numbers found in certain metro areas as does CSA vs MSA numbers. If San Antonio, Houston or Austin were in CA or NY what would their GMP numbers be then?
77 or 87 it is still far far far away from number ten.
Like i said it would have to gobble up everything west of Houston and DFW to get to that number.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Uhh...the Chicago MSA population (or CSA population, take your pick) is at an all-time historical high. It will be the next (and one of only 3) US CSAs to have reached > 10,000,000 people. Its % GDP change from 2010 to 2011 was 3.6% (compared to Philly's 2.8%). There is a $181 Billion(!) difference between the two CSA GDPs--that's nearly the entire economy of the Denver metro area in difference!

I don't know what crack you are smoking, but you should pass it along!
In real terms Chicago metro grew 1.4% and Philly metro grew 1.0%. How long will it take Philly to catch up?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Philly's growth is steady. And it will stay that way. Chicago will decline more (sadly). And Houston will settle and then bust. I love both. But these are facts that just repeats. Philly just came out its BUST. Half a million ppl. Sheesh...
Yeah you love both but you seem to be living off wishful thinking here. Besides, Houston has already busted and they regrouped and still regrouping.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
OK, Philly probably isn't the most innovative city in the world, but it certainly is America's creativity capital.
How do you figure? Philly isn't a hot start-up area like the Bay, NYC, or Boston... what makes you believe it's the "creativity capital" of the US?

What has happened to the Philly posters on this site? These guys just seem to be pulling stuff out of their asses. Philly is a great city and is one of the few places in the US where I could live...but it's not going to overtake Houston, Dallas, or Chicago...ever. In terms of CSA, it's not going to overtake Boston either.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM

725 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How do you figure? Philly isn't a hot start-up area like the Bay, NYC, or Boston... what makes you believe it's the "creativity capital" of the US?

What has happened to the Philly posters on this site? These guys just seem to be pulling stuff out of their asses. Philly is a great city and is one of the few places in the US where I could live...but it's not going to overtake Houston, Dallas, or Chicago...ever. In terms of CSA, it's not going to overtake Boston either.
This is 20 years. Do you believe that Detroit was once saw as an AMAZING city. Did you know that ppl flooded to Baltimore like they do in Houston? But LOOOOOOOOK at them now. Growth does not last. These city's will fall and go back to regular statues, or maybe worse. I do believe Philly will be a number 1 art capital. It already holds the most expensive art pieces in North and South America. The art seen is exploding! Exploding I tell you. I don't go off wishful thinking. Philly is #1 in terms of start up businesses in America. I go from stats. Please don't ruin my credibility.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
This is 20 years. Do you believe that Detroit was once saw as an AMAZING city. Did you know that ppl flooded to Baltimore like they do in Houston? But LOOOOOOOOK at them now. Growth does not last. These city's will fall and go back to regular statues, or maybe worse. I do believe Philly will be a number 1 art capital. It already holds the most expensive art pieces in North and South America. The art seen is exploding! Exploding I tell you. I don't go off wishful thinking. Philly is #1 in terms of start up businesses in America. I go from stats. Please don't ruin my credibility.
Perhaps you should state sources for that claim.

As for economic growth, there is no evidence that Philly will equal up to or pass DFW, Houston, Chicago, or any other CSA/MSA curently ahead of it. Philly is growing slower than just about ever other metro ahead of it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 PM

725 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Perhaps you should state sources for that claim.

As for economic growth, there is no evidence that Philly will equal up to or pass DFW, Houston, Chicago, or any other CSA/MSA curently ahead of it. Philly is growing slower than just about ever other metro ahead of it.
OMG. Listen!!! I will repeat. City's don't grow forever. It's called a boom and a bust. HOUSTON WILL NOT KEEP ITS GROWTH. Philly grew 500,000 in 10 years. Who thought it would decline. All city's decline. Philly did and lost 600,000. Philly just left its decline. Chicago sad to say is still in it. Houston never had a bust. And is getting there's soon. Stop making me repeat.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
OMG. Listen!!! I will repeat. City's don't grow forever. It's called a boom and a bust. HOUSTON WILL NOT KEEP ITS GROWTH. Philly grew 500,000 in 10 years. Who thought it would decline. All city's decline. Philly did and lost 600,000. Philly just left its decline. Chicago sad to say is still in it. Houston never had a bust. And is getting there's soon. Stop making me repeat.
You never clarified. What do you have to show for you're assumption that Philly will explode with growth other than statements that can't be backed up and wishful thinking?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
The first time in nearly 6 decades Philly posted a population gain of only ~9,000 people in the 2010 census. Estimates place it up another 10,000 (give or take). Chicago posted a gain of nearly 110,000 people in the 2000 census but then lost nearly 200,000 in the 2010 census. Estimates place Chicago up another 12,000. N=1 of population gain does not a trend make. By the way, the Chicago metro area is still at its all-time historical high.

So...how are you deciding that Philly is out of a decline? That Chicago isn't? The Chicago and Philly won't both post losses by the next census? Gains? You're no better at prognosticating than Miss Cleo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City