Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
Phoenix, Arizona 33 27.50%
Atlanta, Georgia 60 50.00%
Orlando, Florida 27 22.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I say the city is best for people depending on age and ethnicity

Phoenix for Whites, Asians, Hispanics, WC people and northerners
Atlanta for southern blacks
Orlando for Retirees so your great grandchildren can have an excuse to visit you in Orlando
WOW.just WOW...Have a goodnight sir or m'am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM

171 posts, read 325,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta GDP is over 270 billion dollars
Phoenix is 190
PHX GDP is LOWER than it was at the onset of the Housing crisis in 2007 at 196 million.
Atlanta's is exactly the same,
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People don't move to a city because it has one or two more major league sports.Long as the Big Three are what counts.Whats the use in having something that people are not that interested in?Why open a Ski Shop if there are no slopes?Same concept of sports teams.
I can see if the Hockey team moved to Birmingham or Nashville.It moved to an area obsessed with Hockey.
Winnepeg is not even bigger than Birmingham AL.Of course it makes financial sense to take an offer like that and move the team.

Everybody has a preference and judging form the big gap in votes,Atlanta is what most people prefer by a long shot.
So I suppose that it actually does blow Phoenix out of the water.That Does not make Phoenix a bad place.
Quit being so dramatic. We're talking about Atlanta and Phoenix. No one is blowing anybody out of the water.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Quit being so dramatic. We're talking about Atlanta and Phoenix. No one is blowing anybody out of the water.
Its really not that serious,Use whatever words you feel comfortable with. Atanta got blown out of water by Boston,Chicago,D.C. and a dew other cities in other polls.Either way,its safe to say there is quite a difference in how many people prefer ATL over PHX. That's just a fact that numbers can prove very easily.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

171 posts, read 325,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its really not that serious,Use whatever words you feel comfortable with. Atanta got blown out of water by Boston,Chicago,D.C. and a dew other cities in other polls.Either way,its safe to say there is quite a difference in how many people prefer ATL over PHX. That's just a fact that numbers can prove very easily.
As I stated earlier, there really is no reason for Atlanta posters to try to showcase their might against cities like Phoenix simply because they fell short against other cities. There are great things about both cities, many similarities and differences, many misconceptions about both cities, and the fact remains that they both grew at different times. I'm sure if it really is not that serious, posters shouldn't feel the need to be so dramatic. After all, we're talking about CD polls, but more power to you if you're trying that to prove something if that is so important to you.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Quote:

Orlando for Retirees so your great grandchildren can have an excuse to visit you in Orlando
I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.
50 years ago the period of Black Migration to Northern Cities help fuel the industrial areas of the North. That led to the rise in population of more blacks living in the North eventually than were in the South prior.This changed again as poitics and attitudes changed and then sometime in the mid 90's led to migration where the majority of blacks moved back as opportunities became more available to them.
Those decades ago ,Atlanta led with that because of its comparably mild implementation of integration.

I have one side of my family that has been in Philly for over 80 years.Some were already there before the migration period.

The same growth that has fueled Atlanta,also fueled PHX.I don't care if you are black ,white , green, or purple most people want to just be able to work and provide for their families.As long as there is a reasonable chance at a location that provides that,then thats the minimum thats needed.

Atlanta has a much lager European population of foreign born residents as well as Asians. Koreans, Vietnamese and people from India make up the largest chunk.This notion that Atlanta is mostly black is just silly.Would the fourth largest concentration of F500 companies be headquaterd in a mostly black city?
Would and international company like Porsche have its North American headquarters in a city with that demographic?

Here is more proof:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...rowth-feb.html

Last edited by afonega1; 04-18-2013 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:

Yep. Only a Southern Black person would want to move to Atlanta. Like that guy Elton John. Oh wait he's a white Englishman (The Atlanta area is very popular with Brits alot of them live in the area.)

Well then there's Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson both bought homes here at one time. Ooops they're from New Jersey and Indiana.

P. Diddy bought a house here...Oh I forgot he's from New York (the list of black musicians and actors from New York, Chicago, Ohio, etc that have moved to Atlanta goes on and on). Seems like half the black NFL players have moved here no matter where they're from or who they play for. Allen Iverson has a home here (he's from Philly).

What about all those Koreans that keep moving here (metro Atlanta has the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S.) They must be confused.

All those Nigerians and Somalians and Ghanians must be confused also. As well as all the Hispanics in Gwinnett and Hall county.

There's a large high school in Gwinnett county that has a student body that is about 25% white 25% black 25% Hispanic and 25% Asian (you can't barely get more diverse than that).

There are large sections of East Cobb and North Fulton where you are way more likely to run into a white person from New York or some other northern state than a white or black person from down South and other sections of Cobb county where you will see mostly people from the West Indies.

In actuality, many Southerners from Georgia outside of Atlanta and other parts of the South that are so proud of their Southern heritage and love the traditional Southern way of life are quick to tell you that they wouldn't ever move to Atlanta because they don't consider it a real southern city. This is because, while it has some Southern traits, in so many ways it is so different from other Southern cities like say Memphis or Charleston or even Richmond,Va. Atlanta has so many transplants from outside the South, so many international residents and visitors (most every time I go downtown I see tourist or visitors speaking some foreign language.), is faster paced and many if not most native Atlantan's don't even speak with a Southern accent. There's a huge very openly gay community here and while some of the suburbs are conservative the city itself has mostly a liberal slant.

I kinda think you already know all this (hard to imagine you wouldn't if you spent any real length of time here) and are just making fun and if you are.. HA HA.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude but I can't understand this post. Is the spacebar on your keyboard jammed or broken?

Anyways, people have their preferences for cities. I do not believe anyone is debating Atlanta's importance when compared to Phoenix. People in general like different things, I prefer Phoenix myself? Why? It's a culture preference. I can be in a gym or restaurant without being around people who get hot and bothered over every new Tyler Perry movie coming out. Fast food joints like Zaxbys, Chick Fil A, etc everywhere. Also, I hate Braves fans because they are Mets rivals. I find it annoying when everyone stands up and does the tomahawk chop, I want to break their wrist! What are your reasons for disliking Phoenix?
Once again,another assumption.I never said I disliked Phoenix.I just prefer Atlanta.If you really have been to Atlanta you would know how diverse it really is.You would also know that like other posters have pointed out,that it is much more cosmopolitan than what you portray.Which is overall the main reason I prefer Atlanta.
Its a bigger city with more amenities.
1.A subway that I routinely use.Its the reason Id rather live in the city than fight traffic.
http://dilemmaxdotnet.files.wordpres...3/02/marta.jpg

2.Its green trees and hilly lush terrain is more pleasing to me.Nice to have tree cover to keep the heat being to overwhelming.No escape really from that in Phoenix.
http://www.simplystamps.com/local/atlanta-skyline.jpg

3.The busiest airport in the world has more destinations that I routinely partake in.

4.Its closer to many more cities than PHX.NYC,D.C.Miami,Phillyetc...

5.My parents live in the state.As well as my sister and nephew.

6.As a veteran,the VA and the list of military installations are vast.

7.I have a amazing friends from all over the world.Very diverse.Its very easy to meet people and hang-out at exotic restaurants and the cafes in the city.

8.I have been able to make a lot of money in Atlanta,yet my lifestyle is not hectic. Im also somewhat well connected to some of the movers and shakers.through my family ties and my own .

9.Atlanta is way more urban and vibrant.I like hanging out at some of its great museums.There are just way more attractions to see when people visit me.It has an appropriate balance of urbanity.Could always use some more in certain places,but between the two,ATL is just better.

10.City is constantly changing for the better.First the Olympics and its improvements.Then Atlantic Station which was one of the largest urban developments in the USA at one time,and now the BeltLine is just taking this city to being what it needs to be,which is more urban and accessible.

11.The streetcar project will be completed next year.Another mode of transportation that already before the first leg has opened,has transformed areas that are now vibrant and full of street life.Especially at night.

12.I like the mix of culture.Northern and Southern.Which by the way is a reflection of what people have in there own families.This us versus them B.S. you mentioned is so antiquated and just plain silly in this day in age.

13.Atlanta is much more progressive. Its always been.It stood out among Southern cities when the Mayor in the 60's was the ONLY one that testified in congress in favor of the Civil Rights Bill.Later its been a good place for blacks before me to have a fair chance in participating in the early years in the prosperity of Atlanta.That groundwork made it possible for Atlanta to have the second largest concentration of black millionaires today.
This is also true for Atlanta's gay population.Atlanta has had liberal laws dating back a couple of decades that have given domestic partner benefits way before many other so called "liberal" cities.Atlanta is 4th in nation with the highest percentage of gay residents.

14.For every negative Atlanta has,it just still keeps on getting better.Its very resilient.You don't really appreciate it until you have gone and lived other places and the come back to see that it actually stacks up better when you take the time to know of its gems.

Last edited by JMT; 10-11-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
As I stated earlier, there really is no reason for Atlanta posters to try to showcase their might against cities like Phoenix simply because they fell short against other cities. There are great things about both cities, many similarities and differences, many misconceptions about both cities, and the fact remains that they both grew at different times. I'm sure if it really is not that serious, posters shouldn't feel the need to be so dramatic. After all, we're talking about CD polls, but more power to you if you're trying that to prove something if that is so important to you.
Well Im sorry YOU felt I was being dramatic.Yet this is a forum.The question the OP asked was clearly meant to compare as which is more desirable. We all have our opinions.The fact that someone might have a strong opinion does not make it fact.Yet there are somethings that are just clear.Atlanta overall is more desirable to most as it concerns this particular thread.

I've not made one remark regarding PHX that could not be qualified by fact.However several things about Atlanta has been stated and has been dispelled as untrue.

Please tell me where and who made an untrue statement about PHX as a fact?
If you like me to do the same I will.

No one has bashed PHX like a certain poster has about peoples eating habits,entertainment taste.religion, ancestral lineage, and questioned the merits of ones customs of civility regarding citizens in a whole region(The South) as stated in an earlier post.
Yet you fall silent with no indignation for that as you have over a choice of words about the measure of which theses cities are compared.?
No.Its not that serious, but don't try that passive aggressive manipulation of whats really going on because you dont like the results.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 13,827 times
Quote:
Phoenix is most certainly NOT more sprawling than Atlanta. The Atlanta UA is one of the most sprawling in the country.
This is probably true... Atlanta has large suburb.... BUT the Atlanta has more condensed downtown/city regions eg. mid-town, buckhead etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta also has one of the largest CBD core's in the states. Downtown and Midtown destroy anything Phoenix has to offer in their core. Downtown Phoenix is incredibly subpar. Phoenix's downtown hardly even has much foot traffic. Atlanta has a mix of GSU students, workers, locals, and tourists(considering the city get 37M+ tourist a year). Phoenix....not so much.
Here you go! this is what I was talking about.. when I am saying "sprawling." Atlanta is more centralized where I can really feel the sense of having a condensed center..

Phoenix is great but it is really spread-out.... but one good thing is that I have more space to park in the city region... and because the city is relatively new, it most places, it looks cleaner than Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City