Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
Phoenix, Arizona 33 27.50%
Atlanta, Georgia 60 50.00%
Orlando, Florida 27 22.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

As usual a lot of people are holding it against Atlanta that it's in the South. Not all the South is the same and Atlanta has never been a typical Southern town. Let's not forget that while Atlanta is the City that created Martin Luther King and honors him to the utmost, Arizona was one of the last States left stubbornly refusing to honor the MLK National Holiday. A lot of African Americans across the Nation were ticked off at Arizona about that but I wouldn't hold that against the city of Phoenix. Others however insist on holding the past of the South against Atlanta when it has been one of the most progressive cities in the country for many years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
AZ as a state does not have half the history and influence GA has and still commands today.GA contributions are not only negative as you seem to suggest.
If you think its mostly negative history in Georgia then its your supreme judgmental ignorance.
Canada does not have as much negatives as the United States. Yet I have no desire to live in Canada.

You made a statement regarding why you thought GA had a " vibe." Meaning TODAY".
Your answer is to bring up an event that happened more than 200 years ago that was conceived and carried out by the Federal Government headed by then President Andrew Jackson.
Im African American I'm sensitive to the poor treatment of ANY people anywhere.
Not to mention that the Trail of Tears had little to do with the Navajo in the AZ/NM areas.

You basically proved my point by your ignorance.AZ and NM have some of the highest poverty rates in the U.S ..Practicably among Native Americans.

People go buy their Turquoise jewelry and Dream catchers, yet never see or care about the abject poverty on the reservations. Or the racism against Native Americans.
I was stationed at Davis-Mohan in Tucson and Luke AFB in Phoenix, so I know the areas. I have interacted with Native Americans from there.
If you want know about a "vibe" as a Native American
How is it that people from AZ could possibly look down on any other state when its record and treatment of Native Americans being incarcerated at record levels 3x as high as any other group? Having the 2nd highest poverty rate for Native Americans in the U.S..?
Navajo Nation cities rank high in Native American poverty rate
Did you only read the first sentence of my post?

If so, then you're the ignorant one, my friend.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
As usual a lot of people are holding it against Atlanta that it's in the South. Not all the South is the same and Atlanta has never been a typical Southern town. Let's not forget that while Atlanta is the City that created Martin Luther King and honors him to the utmost, Arizona was one of the last States left stubbornly refusing to honor the MLK National Holiday. A lot of African Americans across the Nation were ticked off at Arizona about that but I wouldn't hold that against the city of Phoenix. Others however insist on holding the past of the South against Atlanta when it has been one of the most progressive cities in the country for many years now.
Correct.Just another account of how its a double standard when people wish to talk only negatives about the South.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Actually, I really dislike the "Yes, ma'am/No, ma'am" vibe in GA and the Deep South. That's really what I was referring to.

I've said this before on this forum and I will say it again, the Deep South is a place where one, especially a younger person, must be mindful of his or her "place." It seems as though one must address and speak to older persons in a certain way that seems, shall we say, "too respectful." Out West and up North, one can address and speak to older persons casually and nonchalantly, and you do not have to answer an older person with "Yes, ma'am/sir" or "No, ma'am/sir."

Of course, I always address and speak to older persons with respect, but in the South, it seems as though you can't have a casual conversation with someone much older than you. I really disliked that the most about the place. I felt like a child all over again, a child who isn't allowed to speak until spoken to.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,817 times
For a city of its population size, Phoenix punches well below its weight. Unimpressive. In the SW, I would even rather live in San Antonio.

I don't know much about Orlando, but I know enough to say its not on Atlanta's level. I don't say that to bash Orlando. Sounds like its a decent place. But let's compare apples to apples.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Five times as many people use Atlanta's system so I guess Phoenix sucks 400% more.
fine, but its still bad. both of them are bad in public transport but yes atlanta is a bit better than phoenix in that way

Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Orlando is really catching up to Phoenix in this poll right now, which is impressive as Orlando is half size of phoenix

Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Actually, I really dislike the "Yes, ma'am/No, ma'am" vibe in GA and the Deep South. That's really what I was referring to.

I've said this before on this forum and I will say it again, the Deep South is a place where one, especially a younger person, must be mindful of his or her "place." It seems as though one must address and speak to older persons in a certain way that seems, shall we say, "too respectful." Out West and up North, one can address and speak to older persons casually and nonchalantly, and you do not have to answer an older person with "Yes, ma'am/sir" or "No, ma'am/sir."

Of course, I always address and speak to older persons with respect, but in the South, it seems as though you can't have a casual conversation with someone much older than you. I really disliked that the most about the place. I felt like a child all over again, a child who isn't allowed to speak until spoken to.
It's called respect. When my Grandmother was alive I would take off her shoes to massage her feet.She NEVER had to ask and NEVER did.I did it because I was raised to appreciate the struggles and sacrifices provided for me to live better by my elders. In most cultures around the world ,elders are held in a higher regard. You look at it as a sign of servitude or a burden. That's because its not your culture.

When I was a teenager visiting family up North,I would always be complimented by my "manners". I would always hear: "I wish my kids were like you or the kids around here were as respectful".

As an adult I still use those "acknowledgements"

Recently a tenant from France and I were walking to the MARTA station when while on the way we were greeted with "hello" and "how ya doin" by people just passing by. The look on his face each time was bewilderment. I explained it to him and from then on he too made a point of doing the same.

Some are cynical about th

I personally find it disgusting how out West the culture of you are your kids " friend" prevails. Structure is the key to a civilized society. Kids as well as adults should have some boundaries as to how we should engage each other.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM

171 posts, read 325,359 times
So is this what this thread is resorting too? Why does it seem next to impossible to have civilized conversation on the similarities and differences between these cities without people throwing out sweeping generalizations about places that they most likely have never even visited?

For some of you Atlanta boosters, I understand that your city gets trashed quite a bit, but is it payback time to try to bash on another city when you believe that you're actually going to win a poll? Some of you may boast about the Southern manners, but the way some of you are responding on here certainly lacks tactfulness and civility.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
So is this what this thread is resorting too? Why does it seem next to impossible to have civilized conversation on the similarities and differences between these cities without people throwing out sweeping generalizations about places that they most likely have never even visited?

For some of you Atlanta boosters, I understand that your city gets trashed quite a bit, but is it payback time to try to bash on another city when you believe that you're actually going to win a poll? Some of you may boast about the Southern manners, but the way some of you are responding on here certainly lacks tactfulness and civility.
Who me? I don't think I was rude in my response. I was simply defending a way of life.I have not even said anything about how people are in AZ like some people have made the South out to be,

Personally I think people are people. You have the same types in GA as you do anywhere else.That was my whole point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City