Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The subject is about best black cities.Where are ther black communities anywjere with such ammenities?Are did you just want people to know you would never live in a place that did not have those ammenities which has nothing to do with the topic?

Culturally speaking every ethic grup has cities and neighborhoods with those cities where they thrive. Unfortunately it is fear of black people of any class that scare retailers as you mentioned.Not to mention we are a minority so numbers to support these stores are not always feasible.
Not until someone withinthe community feels a void ignored by national retailers do they come and force those local business owners out.

Black neighborhoods exist because of history and usually forced segregation which later translate in recent times that some blacks just don't want tgo deal with the prejudice and ambivalent attitude towards our own traditional lifestyle so they choose to live in mostly black neighborhood.

Just because you or I choose not to live in majority black areas does not mean they have no place in society.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Exaggeration.
LOL.So the Census exaggerates?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston is not a city blacks want to visit? Lol. You do realise the junteenth celebration for blacks originated in Houston right. Houston hip hop culture is more original and laid back than Atlanta's according to t.i when he did a interview after pimp c passed.
Not compared to Atlanta is what I meant.I dont see how that statement is so far fetched.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Afonega1 look up the video future made with trae called long live the pimp on YouTube. Even Atlanta rappers are obsessed with Houston rap culture. Future ft trae long live the pimp.
Stretch much?lol
Yet where is the hip hop and Rand B center?So Usher does the moonwalk in honnor of Michael Jackson.Is he obsessed with Gary Indiana?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Someone said a few pages back that Atlanta had a larger number of blacks than Houston...this is untrue according to wiki...Atlanta has a higher percentage of blacks, yes...but Houston has the largest number of blacks of any city in the south. I had read this a few years ago as well, which is what prompted me to fact check the statement.

List of U.S. cities with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
really?
Houston is 600 sq miles.Atlanta is 138.Now does that really not make sense why percentage matters more than raw numbers?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Stretch much?lol
Yet where is the hip hop and Rand B center?So Usher does the moonwalk in honnor of Michael Jackson.Is he obsessed with Gary Indiana?
"Obsessed" is stretching it for sure, but the Texas scene did and does to this day influence Atlanta rap. Far more than the reverse is true.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Stretch much?lol
Plenty of Atlanta rappers paying tribute to Houston rappers like that video I told you to look up. Its a lot more songs I can show you of Atlanta rappers paying respect. Don't really see any Houston rappers making songs about Atlanta. Houston's rap scene is older than ATL's.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Rank City African-American Population Size (2010 Census)[1] Percentage African-American
1 New York, New York MSA 3,362,616 17.8
2 Atlanta, Georgia MSA 1,772,569 33.6
3 Chicago, Illinois MSA 1,721,578 18.2
4 Washington, District of Columbia (DC-MD-VA-WV) PMSA 1,438,436 25.8
5 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania PMSA 1,241,780 20.8
6 Miami, Florida PMSA 1,169,185 21.0
7 Greater Houston Metropolitan Texas PMSA 1,025,775 15.9
8 Greater Los Angeles California PMSA 1,009,000 N/A
9 Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan, Texas PMSA 989,000 14.8
10 Detroit, Michigan PMSA 972,689 22.8

I am sure Atlanta is now at or over 2 million...

Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Houston hip hop culture is more original and laid back than Atlanta's according to t.i when he did a interview after pimp c passed.
Atlanta's Hip-Hop scene was born from Houston inspiring the rest of the South to rap and from DJs in Atlanta playing and stealing crunk music from Memphis rappers and DJs and claiming it as their own.

It's just a shame that Memphis never blew up and got any of the attention and credit that Atlanta did, when Atlanta borrowed so heavily from Memphis.

Houston has the best rap scene ever in the South, though. I much prefer Houston Hip-Hop to most of what has come out of Atlanta, especially these days.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-22-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:36 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Memphis started crunk music, but Atlanta didn't "steal it and claim it as their own."
The 2 largest figures in the history of ATL Crunk, Pastor Troy and Lil Jon, showed love to Memphis and acknowledged it came from there, especially Pastor Troy. He worked a lot with a Memphis DJ named Squeeky and when he dropped his "Pastor Troy and the Congregation" CD, the "Congregation" was a group named SMK (South Memphis Kings).

ATL just popularized it to a more mainstream audience. It's not their fault Memphis couldn't popularize what they started. Remember that Memphis also was the home of "horrorcore" or "Devil Rap" and it was deeply ingrained with their "crunk" music as well. That never would've made it on the mainstream.

Some older ATL rap was also influenced by Miami Bass Music, who many people seem to forget or dont consider in the history of Southern rap. If I'm not mistaken, Miami Bass was around before Houston's rap scene. If not, it was around the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City