Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 AM

401 posts, read 551,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
DC is a small city?
To me it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 AM

183 posts, read 249,502 times
Why has the DC/Baltimore region not produced much mainstream rap? NYC, Philly, Hampton Roads, VA all have blown up. I'd think an area with such a gigantic black population and black heritage (and so close to America's rap capital NYC) would have dominated the scene at one time.

When I lived in the DMV in the early 90s, NYC rap was almost exclusively played on DC urban stations. Baltimore radio went to house for the late night party mixes, DC go-go.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 AM

24 posts, read 30,108 times
Not America but Toronto seems pretty good for black people.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Tacoma, Washington is a good city to be in. On the water, strong black culture. Though the demographics are still majority white the city is diverse and strong community vibe.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Tacoma, Washington is a good city to be in. On the water, strong black culture. Though the demographics are still majority white the city is diverse and strong community vibe.
Mainly because of the Air Force and Army bases there

Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedlunch View Post
Not America but Toronto seems pretty good for black people.
One of my closest friends from Toronto who lived in Atlanta for several years moved back 9 years ago and he is trying to get back because he says there is a ceiling for black people in Toronto that is hard to break through.
He and is other upwardly mobile blacks are often lock out of senior level positions.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What I have noticed in DC is that the city is definitely improving it's bar scenes. M Street and Connecticut Ave between Farragut North and Dupont is becoming more of a spot lately. And there's even a Dallas Cowboys bar there. I actually don't mind DC's night life. Lots of spots where you can chill and listen to live music.
I was a fan of DC nightlife during the Dream/Vip Club era

Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Sad how ppl think because they city gets more radio play that that means its better. Slim thug is still making songs that get alot of views on YouTube along with bun b. Paul wall is still grindin and making custom jewelry too. Ill take real slab music over Atlanta's music any day. I'm glad nobody knows about Houston's best rappers such as lil keke and fat pat. Real recognize real. Real Atlanta ppl know what's up.

Do Houston radio support Houston artist generally speaking? I think this is a major reason so many Atlanta artist blow up is because our radio stations support our local artist. This one station called Streetz 94.5 play all street shyt 24/7. First it blows up in Atlanta because a radio station played it. Then when it blows up in the streets all the other stations have to play it. Then it spreads across Ga. The south. Then nationally. Another thing is most of our artist make music for the club and strip club so most of the music will always be catchy, generally speaking. What Houston needs to do is to get the radio stations onboard. Matter of fact if most cities would follow the Atlanta blueprint more artist would blow up because your city has to support its artist.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 AM

73 posts, read 89,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Do Houston radio support Houston artist generally speaking? I think this is a major reason so many Atlanta artist blow up is because our radio stations support our local artist. This one station called Streetz 94.5 play all street shyt 24/7. First it blows up in Atlanta because a radio station played it. Then when it blows up in the streets all the other stations have to play it. Then it spreads across Ga. The south. Then nationally. Another thing is most of our artist make music for the club and strip club so most of the music will always be catchy, generally speaking. What Houston needs to do is to get the radio stations onboard. Matter of fact if most cities would follow the Atlanta blueprint more artist would blow up because your city has to support its artist.

Generally they do not and I have no clue why, in the 90's and very early 2000s the radio stations supported the local artist. Thats one thing that i noticed in ATL when I visited, their radio stations played plenty of music from local artist.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
BINGO!Part of the reason Atlanta is known for its nightlife and Houston...well...its just not known.lol
Even the clubs in Buckhead are blasting rap.

I drive for Uber and am amazed that all the young white adults from the burbs wanna hear is rap.Im talking about stuff you really dont here on the radio.They know every word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City