Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Even though Virginia Beach is a nice place to live, I'm still not sure it offers what the poster is looking for culturally from a Black perspective. He may be able to utilize what is available in other cities in the region, but depending on his interests, he may not find it in Virginia Beach.

That is how I always felt living there. If you're into suburbia Virginia Beach is great but outside of that ... It is a little different now with the Sandler Center but I think a lot more could be done. The Color Purple was interesting when they came into town.
That's what Im saying, he didn't ask for any "culturally Black" place. But he could very well live in the Beach and trek to Hampton for Jazzfests, Carribean Fest, 1st Landing and the other numerous shows they have over there...same with Portsmouth for Umoja and all the events they have...all the events in Norfolk...sh even the Beach has little comedy shows in Town Center and their Africana Funkfest out the Oceanfront. Or he may not be in to ANY of that...<shrugs>

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I was thinking about it from the perspective that Chesapeake has a higher percentage of Blacks. But Virginia Beach has greater numbers.

Chesapeake also appeared to have Black neighborhoods where I think Virginia Beach neighborhoods are more integrated.
Chesapeake is alright, police be trippin out there though. Chesapeake does have some nice neighborhoods though. Suffolk is next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:48 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
People may not realize that the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area is 31% Black, which is only about 1-2% less than Metro Atlanta. So, I think it is an area where Southern Soul Bro could find what he is looking for.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
That's what Im saying, he didn't ask for any "culturally Black" place. But he could very well live in the Beach and trek to Hampton for Jazzfests, Carribean Fest, 1st Landing and the other numerous shows they have over there...same with Portsmouth for Umoja and all the events they have...all the events in Norfolk...sh even the Beach has little comedy shows in Town Center and their Africana Funkfest out the Oceanfront. Or he may not be in to ANY of that...<shrugs>

Chesapeake is alright, police be trippin out there though. Chesapeake does have some nice neighborhoods though. Suffolk is next.
Those Chesapeake police are no joke! I got pulled over a few times. Nothing serious though.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People may not realize that the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area is 31% Black, which is only about 1-2% less than Metro Atlanta. So, I think it is an area where Southern Soul Bro could find what he is looking for.
I thought it was common knowledge that the Tidewater area was heavily Black; it was historically one of the biggest, and I think the first, port of entry for slaves into the U.S.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post

I miss the Afram fest. It was ratchet but I always got out before the shots were fired and I never had any issues.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that the Tidewater area was heavily Black; it was historically one of the biggest, and I think the first, port of entry for slaves into the U.S.
Not outside of Virginia; I found out about it after I moved here. But I'm from Ohio and I attended a lot of private schools that were teaching their own edited version of American History.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:08 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Not outside of Virginia; I found out about it after I moved here. But I'm from Ohio and I attended a lot of private schools that were teaching their own edited version of American History.
I'm not from VA and I knew that. Were people asleep during American History class or something?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not from VA and I knew that. Were people asleep during American History class or something?
Well, just because you knew it doesn't mean that everyone else did, or even that they should. Like I said unless you're a history buff or you have some vested interest you usually focus primary on what's going on in your own environments. Its nothing personal.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Baltimore isn't looking like a good choice based on the current tensions.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Well, just because you knew it doesn't mean that everyone else did, or even that they should. Like I said unless you're a history buff or you have some vested interest you usually focus primary on what's going on in your own environments. Its nothing personal.
I dont remember being taught about it either but im so old from having ever been in school its impossible for me to recall those early lessons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City