Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 36 16.07%
Miami 1 0.45%
Chicago 111 49.55%
Los Angeles 7 3.13%
Dallas 16 7.14%
Washington D.C. 12 5.36%
Atlanta 9 4.02%
Phoenix 6 2.68%
Seattle 1 0.45%
Philadelphia 25 11.16%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Because most people in the world would answer this a resounding "New York City." And that's what the poll asked.
Quote:
Haha, when did I say any of this? Take a course on psychological projection and get back to me. The guy you're gladhanding above says I'm taking the anti-intellectual route, and you're saying the opposite. So which is it?

---

Nowhere in the OP does it say "if someone from Shanghai wanted to visit the most exclusively American city on that poll, I'd send them to _____," it clearly says which option would more PEOPLE find American. And, in this universe, the answer would be NYC. But not in the C-D universe, where Chicago tops just about every poll it's included in. Which is fine, I love Chicago. But get real.

And your assertion that I "overvalue the uneducated opinions of the masses" shows how laughably off-base you are, considering I've concentrated large chunks of my life to exposing underground art, music, and the like...and not a single person who's ever met me would contend that. In fact, quite the opposite.

And this exact same kind of poll (what city is most american/best displays americana) has already been done to DEATH here. And what, exactly, did those accomplish?
Youve confused what is most American with what is popular. New York is obviously the most recognized city in America. It is not the most typical city in America.

If you want to go further than the major players, the most American cities would probably be Omaha and Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
The problem is that the question is kinda circular. What most people around the world would view or describe as "American" is based on what they are exposed to in movies and on TV -- ie NY and LA (NY more so I would say). Since that's what they are exposed to and think represents America, those are the cities that will embody for them the image of a quintessentially American city. That doesn't mean that the image is accurate.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
I've confused nothing. Ask a foreigner this exact poll question, and they will largely come back with NYC. Popularity has nothing to do with it, unless you mean "most popular answer."

It is, however, literally impossible to come up with the "most American" city. For an incredible amount of reasons. How is Omaha like Boston or Miami or LA or Seattle etc? How, exactly, does it encompass what it is to be "American" more than, say, Philly? Have you ever been to KC or Omaha?

Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
The problem is that the question is kinda circular. What most people around the world would view or describe as "American" is based on what they are exposed to in movies and on TV -- ie NY and LA (NY more so I would say). Since that's what they are exposed to and think represents America, those are the cities that will embody for them the image of a quintessentially American city. That doesn't mean that the image is accurate.
Exactly - you nailed it.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Again though, thats whats popular. Americans as a rule have a better idea of what America is like vs. people from Pakistan, Poland, Rwanda, or wherever.

What a person who has never been to America thinks is "American" has nothing to do with what is most American.

To answer a post earlier where it was asked whats more American than the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge, lots of things. Those things are specific to New York. You dont find a Statue of Liberty and a Brooklyn bridge in every city. For a city to be quentessentally American, it needs to be a cultural characteristic found in many parts of the country.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Again though, thats whats popular. Americans as a rule have a better idea of what America is like vs. people from Pakistan, Poland, Rwanda, or wherever.

What a person who has never been to America thinks is "American" has nothing to do with what is most American.

To answer a post earlier where it was asked whats more American than the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge, lots of things. Those things are specific to New York. You dont find a Statue of Liberty and a Brooklyn bridge in every city. For a city to be quentessentally American, it needs to be a cultural characteristic found in many parts of the country.
Everything you wrote (including the bolded) is correct. Except it's not responsive to the question in the OP (as best as I can read it at least). The question doesn't ask which city embodies what is most American. It asks what city embodies what people would view or describe as most American. And what people (at least outside of the U.S. -- ie most of the world) would view as most American may not be what is in fact most American.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:36 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Haha, when did I say any of this? Take a course on psychological projection and get back to me. The guy you're gladhanding above says I'm taking the anti-intellectual route, and you're saying the opposite. So which is it?

---

Nowhere in the OP does it say "if someone from Shanghai wanted to visit the most exclusively American city on that poll, I'd send them to _____," it clearly says which option would more PEOPLE find American. And, in this universe, the answer would be NYC. But not in the C-D universe, where Chicago tops just about every poll it's included in. Which is fine, I love Chicago. But get real.

And your assertion that I "overvalue the uneducated opinions of the masses" shows how laughably off-base you are, considering I've concentrated large chunks of my life to exposing underground art, music, and the like...and not a single person who's ever met me would contend that. In fact, quite the opposite.

And this exact same kind of poll (what city is most american/best displays americana) has already been done to DEATH here. And what, exactly, did those accomplish?
ok

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thank You.That is exactly the point.You said it as it should be.It's two questions

Old 05-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Everything you wrote (including the bolded) is correct. Except it's not responsive to the question in the OP (as best as I can read it at least). The question doesn't ask which city embodies what is most American. It asks what city embodies what people would view or describe as most American. And what people (at least outside of the U.S. -- ie most of the world) would view as most American may not be what is in fact most American.
Well its kinda two questions.In the title it does ask what is quintessentially American but then in the body it ask what is viewed as American.Either answer is ok.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I've confused nothing. Ask a foreigner this exact poll question, and they will largely come back with NYC. Popularity has nothing to do with it, unless you mean "most popular answer."

It is, however, literally impossible to come up with the "most American" city. For an incredible amount of reasons. How is Omaha like Boston or Miami or LA or Seattle etc? How, exactly, does it encompass what it is to be "American" more than, say, Philly? Have you ever been to KC or Omaha?
I did.That's why I asked the question on here.Im sitting in a room watching the basketball game with 4 Germans,a Brazilian,2 Russians and a Ukranian.
They said different things.Many said LA.Others said NYC,Chicago and D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City