Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 02:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its more like 1.5 Million
https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Er thanks, but this thread is about what the Census bureau reports is the resident population.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Er thanks, but this thread is about what the Census bureau reports is the resident population.
Yes, but during the day there's a lot more people so in numerous places it feels a lot greater.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, but during the day there's a lot more people so in numerous places it feels a lot greater.
And I rejoíce in that possibility but Manhattan's actual population is about 1.5 Million.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
Yeah well it's visitors & commuters in every city .

And your right about people thinking Nyc is just Manhattan & technically it really is,No huge media events are in the Bronx or Queens so Manhattan is looked at like the only borough that matters.Well Brooklyn is important also but Manhattan is the real Nyc.

In Los Angeles it's a city & county at the same time because Disney land,Beverly Hills, Santa Monica & countless other areas are in the middle of town but not included in the city's population.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post

And your right about people thinking Nyc is just Manhattan & technically it really is,No huge media events are in the Bronx or Queens so Manhattan is looked at like the only borough that matters.Well Brooklyn is important also but Manhattan is the real Nyc.

In Los Angeles it's a city & county at the same time because Disney land,Beverly Hills, Santa Monica & countless other areas are in the middle of town but not included in the city's population.
Disneyland is all the way in Aneheim, Orange County. Within the SoCal megolopolis, but not even technically LA. Sort of like how New Jersry is it's own state but still considered within the NYC region.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:49 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
And I rejoíce in that possibility but Manhattan's actual population is about 1.5 Million.
Actually, no, it isn't 1.5 million. Manhattan hasn't had that population in 25 years.

That's like saying "SF's population is 600,000". Accurate if you have a gigantic rounding error of hundreds of thousands.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Tons of huge media events take place outside Manhattan. The Barclays Center has as many high profile events as any arena on earth (MTV Music Awards, NBA Draft, etc), the US Open is the biggest annual sports event on earth, much of Fashion Week takes place in Brooklyn, the city is now hosting PGA championships, and many of the big art shows are now outside Manhattan.
Quote:
Disneyland isn't in LA City or LA County, and isn't remotely close to "the middle of town". It's a 90 minute drive from core LA. I have no idea what "not included in the city's population means" as all these areas count towards the Census-derived population figures, just like anywhere else in the U.S.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Actually, no, it isn't 1.5 million. Manhattan hasn't had that population in 25 years.

That's like saying "SF's population is 600,000". Accurate if you have a gigantic rounding error of hundreds of thousands.
I think we all got the point without getting picky, but since you're going to nitpick the heck out of that guy's statement, let's point out all the faults in your own.

Manhattan's population is currently 1.636 million, so his statement was about a margin of error of 8.5% off the true population. Your example would be a margin of error of 30.0% off of San Francisco's population, so one could easily defend the notion that saying "Manhattan's population is about 1.5 million people" is not exactly like saying "San Francisco's population is 600,000".

Finally, Manhattan had 1,487,536 people in 1990, which is only 15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Tons of huge media events take place outside Manhattan. The Barclays Center has as many high profile events as any arena on earth (MTV Music Awards, NBA Draft, etc), the US Open is the biggest annual sports event on earth, much of Fashion Week takes place in Brooklyn, the city is now hosting PGA championships, and many of the big art shows are now outside Manhattan.

Disneyland isn't in LA City or LA County, and isn't remotely close to "the middle of town". It's a 90 minute drive from core LA. I have no idea what "not included in the city's population means" as all these areas count towards the Census-derived population figures, just like anywhere else in the U.S.

I think we all got the man's point. Also, LA is more spread out and people do associate "Disneyland, Venice, Hollywood, etc etc" as all being "LA". There's definitely a lot less distinguishing, and A LOT more disbursement of tourism in SoCal.

Versus New York - it is likely true that aside from coming in from the airport, most pure tourists to New York likely stay in Manhattan. Most people who have never been probably think first about Manhattan. I would venture a strong guess that most people had no idea that the MTV Music Awards happened in Barclays Arena (I'm an intelligent guy and I didn't know that, nor would it be something I would necessarily pay attention to or care about...I assumed it was in LA actually!). I would venture a guess that most people have no idea that the US Open is the "biggest annual sporting event on earth" (again, I didn't know that...having been, I would guess if it's a ranking based on attendance, that many fans attend many days...it's not 700,000 different fans in attendance).

You can be a disgruntled poster to all other posters all you want, but just keep in mind that you are just an average person wasting time on a site like this, like everyone else on here. You can and should try to tone the biting attitude down a bit.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I think we all got the point without getting picky, but since you're going to nitpick the heck out of that guy's statement, let's point out all the faults in your own.
Uh, no offense, but you should probably re-read your post.

1990 is 25 years ago, not 15 years ago, and percents have nothing to do raw numbers. If you're gonna nitpick, it might make sense to make a point, and not flub simple math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I would venture a strong guess that most people had no idea that the MTV Music Awards happened in Barclays Arena (I'm an intelligent guy and I didn't know that, nor would it be something I would necessarily pay attention to or care about...I assumed it was in LA actually!). I would venture a guess that most people have no idea that the US Open is the "biggest annual sporting event on earth" (again, I didn't know that...having been, I would guess if it's a ranking based on attendance, that many fans attend many days...it's not 700,000 different fans in attendance).
What does any of this have to do with anything? The point is that it's wrong. Your ignorance about such matters isn't really relevant.

Obviously most people don't know where Roland Garros is, where Wembley is located, or where Pebble Beach lies. The fact that 90% of people on earth don't know or care where an arena is specifically located or where a sports event takes place doesn't mean such places don't actually exist, and doesn't mean that such events don't actually occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City