Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Food in RVA: Greek, French, Italian, Eastern European, Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Cajun, Creole, Seafood, Indian, Mediterranean, steakhouses, Korean, Caribbean, Liberian, chic bistros and cafes...and of course awesome Southern cuisine. Richmond lies in Central Virginia between the coast and the major produce areas of the Shenandoah. I already know that California is the top wine-producing area of the country, and that Sacramento gets to enjoy the spoils of that; however, this doesn't render Virginia wine insignificant, as we also have award winning wine. See how close this is? And yet Sacramento is twice the size of Rich, but doesn't offer twice the variety. Richmond clearly has the edge in certain foods that aren't even available in Sac...
Greeks have a strong historical presence in SF, Stockton, and Sac, which translates to great Mediterranean cuisine. French we have at least half a dozen legit French restaurants or Brasseries. Italian we have one of the higher regarded Italian places in all of California with Biba's, ran by Biba Caggiano, a famous Italian cookbook author and star-chef. Eastern European we have a huge community of immigrants that have brought killer food from their respective countries. Asian foods of all stripes I think is objectively no contest. Cajun and Creole I'll give to Richmond. Seafood maybe. Indian nope, Sac has a large South Asian presence, especially in Folsom where the large Intel campus is. Mediterranean, see Greek. Korean nope. Caribbean almost definitely RVA has the upper hand, same with Puerto Rican. Southern cuisine also I'd bet on RVA for sure.

I mean Richmond might have a few good Japanese places or Chinese places, etc. but the depth of Sac's Asian food would be surprising to outsiders. We were Yee Fow, the Second City (after SF) for Chinese immigrants to America.

The Shenandoah is probably a great place to take day trips to, see the farms, etc. But the entire valley produces about $1.2 Billion; the Ca Central Valley: over $20 Billion.

Quote:
Weather is not better in Sacramento. It is less humidity, but there is no snow. There's more sunshine, but there's more rain...
There is more sunshine (great), more rain (although less so the past 5 years ) which means better backyard gardens, less humidity. We just drive up to the snow when we want it. Glad we don't have to deal with it in our urban area.

Quote:
and I didn't bring up sports, a Sacramento booster chalked you all up for the win, without realizing that there is also a very loyal soccer community here. There still is less of a college athletics and recreational sport following there. And I can tell you've NEVER been to Richmond if you think you guys follow Bay teams more than we follow (and support) DC teams. Central Virginia is intrinsically tied to Capital teams, those are the de facto home teams, and DC teams reciprocate that energy and love to Richmond. The question is, do the Bay Area teams support any community functions in Sacramento? And I haven't even mentioned Baltimore, because there are quite a few Ravens and Orioles fans running around here too. Your guy jumped the gun on that sports topic, anybody with any familiarity of RVA knows what goes on here....
See, this is why I left that one somewhat open ended. It would make sense that RVA adopts DMV's sports teams, just as Sac does. Advantages of having a world class metro right next door

Quote:
Transportation is better in Sac , only for public transit and maybe Amtrak. The airport is irrelevant as Richmond is in an area where flying is not as necessary as it is there. Sacramento is isolated and you want to claim location as better than ours? In the time is takes you to get to LA, we can get to New York; advantage Richmond, and we don't have to fly because the trip driving is more pleasing than driving through California. In the time it takes you to get to either Portland or Vegas, we can be in either Boston or Atlanta---all the while passing other cities like Hampton Roads, Charlotte, The Triangle, Baltimore, Philly, cities of New Jersey, Providence, etc, with more mountains and more beaches within our reach....but your location is better?
RVA has driving access to the Bos-Wash corridor sure (although taking the day to drive up 95 vs. Highway 1, hmmmm wonder which I'll choose). You can definitely get to more cities within driving distance than Sac. California is very urban, outside of SF, Sac, LA, SD it gets rural fast. That's what I love about Ca. We have SF and LA and some of the best wilderness around. I'll fly to wherever if I want to go somewhere else, nbd. Stand on a beach along the Lost Coast with rugged coastline on one side and redwoods on the other. Camp along a glacially carved lake at 10K+ elevation surrounded by 14K+ peaks, granite domes, thousand year old pines. It's a religious experience.

Quote:
To me SF and DC are a draw. Maybe SF is a little stronger, but those two cities are generally in the same tier, and anything that is offered in SF is offered in DC. Personally, I don't see the appeal in living in a city that has complete disregard for its black citizens, it's homeless, and it's poor. So no, advantage swings DC>>>SF,..
This is super insulting to SF. There's a reason it's held up as a liberal bastion and has the homeless population it does, because a lot of the citizens actually care and provide support for those disadvantaged populations. The West Coast in general has a very visible homeless population because of the liberal policies and weather. I've lived in DC and I've lived in Oakland. Don't pretend like DC doesn't have friction with it's (substantial) homeless population. I'd wager the historical angst with the black community of DC far outweighs SF's.

Quote:
For 'me' the only thing interesting about the Northern Cali coast is that I can visit Napa. The Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore of VA/MD, not to mention the Outer Banks of NC, offer so much more history and of course, seafood...
Redwoods are pretty cool bro. Ab diving, huge kelp beds, whale watching, tide pools. Ever heard of Salmon? West Coast. Can you surf on the Eastern Seaboard? Hatteras I guess but how long of a drive from RVA?

ASIDE:

Quote:
Some of my post is in jest, because many of these categories, there is no "best", it all boils down to personal taste. However, I do believe that for Richmond to only be half of Sacramento's size, it certainly holds up well in most categories....and we haven't even begun to talk about the more educated population, the better educational institutions, the better role in federal government, the better arts culture, the stronger corporate base and business climate, the better history, better architecture, all in Richmond....

Sacramento underperforms given its size. Richmond outperforms its size. Some of you really have no idea how to hold an objective population...
Educational attainment is within a couple % for HS, Undergrad, and Graduate Degrees. Plus you have to understand that many California metros lag in education attainment due to the heavy immigration we have. Richmond does indeed hold up well, especially for it's size. It's why I've said multiple times what a great comparison this is. You come off as pretty snarky though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
@flats, you have to forgive me if I come off a bit snarky. I'm always having to defend Richmond from posters who jump the gun with saying their city is better, only to find out that Richmond is actually equal or stronger in many areas. You and I have both seen the "bigger is better" posters on here, who discount Richmond because of size. I mean seriously, topics like sports and food ARE NOT no brainers, so for someone to insinuate that means they've spoken from pure ignorance...

That said, you appear to be more level headed and objective. I can agree that the variety of Asian cuisine is advantage Sac; also that produce swings in Sac's favor as well. Honestly, I rate them basically equal in the food category; Richmond certainly isn't lacking in this category...

Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post

Redwoods are pretty cool bro. Ab diving, huge kelp beds, whale watching, tide pools. Ever heard of Salmon? West Coast. Can you surf on the Eastern Seaboard? Hatteras I guess but how long of a drive from RVA?
Folks from the east coast or anywhere where the waters are warmer in the summer or all year round don't get California. Californians don't need 75F+ waters to enjoy them.

We deep sea DIVE, fish off-shore, deep sea fishing off a boat, SURF (a lot), big waves, most California beaches have heavy surf, hard to find on the east coast unless you go far north (Nova Scotia). Hiking along coast that offers huge cliffs, mountains, Redwood forests as well as broad wide open sandy beaches, secluded coves hidden by mountains.

This last month, and I live in Sacramento, 80miles inland, have Surfed up and down the California coast, deep sea fished, hiked, and Sailed SF Bay, and the LA coast. All in either a DAY trip or extended weekend. And within a few weeks. I will be camping in the Sierra Nevada mountains, at 9,000 feet, 1hour, 45 mins away by Car-SUV.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
@flats, you have to forgive me if I come off a bit snarky.
It gets a bit catty on CvC, I'm definitely guilty of it like most people on here who love their city. We all like discussing this stuff though, this is just a fun way of doing it. Richmond is definitely way more on my radar to visit than before.

How about arts?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Quote:
None of what you said is concrete or undebatable....

Richmond has a hopping nightlife compared to other cities of its size, so there's no lack there. Maybe dating is better in Sac, one has more options...

Food in RVA: Greek, French, Italian, Eastern European, Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Cajun, Creole, Seafood, Indian, Mediterranean, steakhouses, Korean, Caribbean, Liberian, chic bistros and cafes...and of course awesome Southern cuisine. Richmond lies in Central Virginia between the coast and the major produce areas of the Shenandoah. I already know that California is the top wine-producing area of the country, and that Sacramento gets to enjoy the spoils of that; however, this doesn't render Virginia wine insignificant, as we also have award winning wine. See how close this is? And yet Sacramento is twice the size of Rich, but doesn't offer twice the variety. Richmond clearly has the edge in certain foods that aren't even available in Sac...

Weather is not better in Sacramento. It is less humidity, but there is no snow. There's more sunshine, but there's more rain...and I didn't bring up sports, a Sacramento booster chalked you all up for the win, without realizing that there is also a very loyal soccer community here. There still is less of a college athletics and recreational sport following there. And I can tell you've NEVER been to Richmond if you think you guys follow Bay teams more than we follow (and support) DC teams. Central Virginia is intrinsically tied to Capital teams, those are the de facto home teams, and DC teams reciprocate that energy and love to Richmond. The question is, do the Bay Area teams support any community functions in Sacramento? And I haven't even mentioned Baltimore, because there are quite a few Ravens and Orioles fans running around here too. Your guy jumped the gun on that sports topic, anybody with any familiarity of RVA knows what goes on here....

Transportation is better in Sac , only for public transit and maybe Amtrak. The airport is irrelevant as Richmond is in an area where flying is not as necessary as it is there. Sacramento is isolated and you want to claim location as better than ours? In the time is takes you to get to LA, we can get to New York; advantage Richmond, and we don't have to fly because the trip driving is more pleasing than driving through California. In the time it takes you to get to either Portland or Vegas, we can be in either Boston or Atlanta---all the while passing other cities like Hampton Roads, Charlotte, The Triangle, Baltimore, Philly, cities of New Jersey, Providence, etc, with more mountains and more beaches within our reach....but your location is better?

To me SF and DC are a draw. Maybe SF is a little stronger, but those two cities are generally in the same tier, and anything that is offered in SF is offered in DC. Personally, I don't see the appeal in living in a city that has complete disregard for its black citizens, it's homeless, and it's poor. So no, advantage swings DC>>>SF,..

For 'me' the only thing interesting about the Northern Cali coast is that I can visit Napa. The Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore of VA/MD, not to mention the Outer Banks of NC, offer so much more history and of course, seafood...

ASIDE:

Some of my post is in jest, because many of these categories, there is no "best", it all boils down to personal taste. However, I do believe that for Richmond to only be half of Sacramento's size, it certainly holds up well in most categories....and we haven't even begun to talk about the more educated population, the better educational institutions, the better role in federal govHISernment, the better arts culture, the stronger corporate base and business climate, the better history, better architecture, all in Richmond....

Sacramento underperforms given its size. Richmond outperforms its size. Some of you really have no idea how to hold an objective population...
THIS...
Im a Californian born and raised, most of the immediate family has relocated to VA Beach Metro/HR and never looked back. We find an exceptional 4 season climate and so many more functional amenities than Cali ever provided. We have found Richmond to be a really cool compliment to the beach-ey lifestyle of Hampton Roads. The whole state is a microcosm of whats cool about the country...sounds pretty boostyerish huh?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
You keep bringing up diversity, but diversity IS NOT the same as integration at all.
YES, Sacramento IS INTEGRATED way more integrated than Richmond.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:

-Sacramento has an advantage only in light rail. When considering that Richmond is within driving distance of ~40% of the U.S. Population (ATL to Boston), air travel isn't as necessary here as it is there. Rich is within three hrs of IAD/BWI/National, which is the equivalent of SFO/Oakland/SJ, so an array of air options are just as available. That Sac has the busier airport is really a non factor when taking other factors into consideration...
-you absolutely do not get to tout Sac as a better sports city, pro or otherwise. The Kickers are one of the oldest USL teams so apparently something is going right. Richmond hosts the Washington Redskins training camp every summer, has NASCAR, has a MUCH larger following of college athletics (UVA, VT, VCU, UR), and is probably more popular in recreational sports (kayaking, rafting, tennis, cycling, etc). Sacramento has the Kings lol, who almost came to Virginia. All jokes aside, Sac is not a better sports town...
-you absolutely spoke out of turn saying all Richmond offers is Soutyern cuisine---which, by the way, gives it an advantage over Sac. Rich is WELL KNOWN within that industry/circles as a burgeoning food city, and yes, this includes ethnic (Liberian, Greek/Mediterranean, French, etc) as well as bakeries and sandwich shops. Richmond is also known for its farm-to-table culture, has a huge craft brewing scene, a huge wine scene, and yeah....you might wanna do some research if you think Richmond is lesser than Sacramento in food...
1. Sacramento destroys Richmond on WINE, still the premier wine region in the nation is Napa Valley(45mins from Sacramento). And Sacramento is surrounded by world renowned wine regions, west, south and east of Sacramento.

2. Amador, Napa, Sonoma, Sacramento, San Joaquin Counties all premier wine regions.

3. Sacramento has better sports with BETTER weather than Richmond. Sacramento has the perfect humidity levels on average 20% during the warmest time of day, much cooler summer nights, on average than Richmond.

4. Sacramento is the 3rd SUNNIEST major metro in the nation. Sunnier than Miami, Denver, LA, and everywhere on the east coast.

5. Sacramento Kings has a generation-old fan based of serious loyal fans. Note the Sacramento Kings did not go to VA. Sacramento has the Republics soccer team and the River Cats, the most winningest AAA team and with the highest attendance records over 10 years. Not to mention the loyals fans of 49ers, SF Giants, Raiders, A"s, San Jose Sharks, that reside in the Sacramento area.

6. Sacramento is under 2 hours by CAR-SUV to world class ski resorts. You can not ski world class ski resorts anywhere near Richmond.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:27 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
The Kings didn't come to Virginia simply because there wasn't an appropriate venue for them.

Also, some of us like humidity. I personally prefer humidity at around 60% at least, with it up to 80% when it's in the 70s.

Furthermore, the Shenandoah Valley's wine is very much a dark horse in the American wine industry. The amount of progress they've made in the past couple decades is *mind-boggling*.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Speaking of all this diversity Sacramento boasts about, I lived there for 11 years until this past February, in different neighborhoods among a variety of ethnicities and yes, witnessed interracial mingling in the lower tier areas. But I don't define diversity along those lines if I don't see much social interaction beyond the workplace between the suburbians and the inner-city common folk. And in that regard, I don't consider the city any more diverse than L.A, S.F, or Oakland.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM

That makes no sense. Anecdotal, confused diversity (which is objectively measurable, that's why we have the census) with integration, and ignores the fact that suburbanites live away from the city and lead different lifestyles. Every major city probably has this, where suburbanites mingle amongst themselves and city folk do the same.

That's a very narrow and subjective view of "diversity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City