Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,684,323 times

Advertisements

Not moving, just a hypothetical, and in fun. There aren't any right or wrong answers, but, it's mainly just about what you think you'd like, or in other words "making the case" for each. It doesn't actually even have to be the city that would be your first choice. For example, I'll go with and make the case for, El Paso.

1. Climate: Maybe just me, and could be wrong but imagine El Paso has more of a dry heat, which I personally prefer. Also, there are only 3 REALLY HOT months, and even during those months, it seems at least to cool down to a reasonable temperature at night.

2. Vibe: Perhaps it's completely inaccurate, but I have just heard that people are very genuine and kind in the area (not that they aren't in other areas of Texas or elsewhere), but that there's more of just a local feel there. I know that one is hard to measure though.

3. Multicultural: Certainly that it has elements of Texas/West Coast/Southwest is neat, but also obviously that it has a high Mexican/Hispanic population. It would be almost like a study abroad without leaving the country, though that would be easier to do also if it ever gets safer to do so.

4. Affordable: Not just housing, but likely also going out for entertainment, and other things around town.

5. Livable: I would imagine traffic is very manageable, slower paced living, etc., though still big enough to have most things I would want.

6. Nature: Way more terrain than anywhere else in Texas, and most cities in the US, right within the city limits and surrounds. Also one of the most diverse collections of impressive/beautiful nature anywhere in the US within an hour-two.

7. History: A diverse collection of history, including natural history, and that of several important events/cultures located near here. San Antonio is the only rival for El Paso among these 5 on history.

8. Location: Close to the aforementioned scenery (White Sands, 10K+ Peaks, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupes), and also closer to the West Coast than it is to the rest of Texas. 7 hour trips to the Gulf of California, Phoenix, Monument Valley wouldn't seem that long due to the lack of traffic and the scenery, and even the 10 hour trek it would be to San Diego would be very worthwhile to do once or twice a year.

Not saying I necessarily would want to live in El Paso above the others, just making the case. Someone else's turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
No poll?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Just to clarify what are the top 5 metros. I presume it is...
Houston
Dallas-Fort Worth
San Antonio
Austin
El Paso.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,684,323 times
Yeah those are the top 5. And yeah I didn't figure a poll was necessary largely because that would make it into a popularity contest and we have a good idea how that would turn out. It's more just about looking at what each area has going for it that makes it best (for some)

Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 PM

650 posts, read 869,043 times
Houston. Well it's just more my type of town. I've always liked Houston.

It's huge and I like that. There's plenty to do in my opinion and its racially diverse which is important to me. It's basically a melting pot and its not your typical southern city like Dallas is.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
San Antonio, it's a good fit for me compared to the others.

I hated Houston although it is very nice in many areas it just was not a place I enjoyed being
Dallas is a good city but is ugly and the weather is bad
Austin I'd live there and fine
El Paso is a little to isolated for me, I've lived in the SW for a good portion of my life and would want a bigger change if I were going to move.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Probably Dallas-Ft Worth...

Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Houston. Well it's just more my type of town. I've always liked Houston.

It's huge and I like that. There's plenty to do in my opinion and its racially diverse which is important to me. It's basically a melting pot and its not your typical southern city like Dallas is.
LOL, for all its diversity, Houston still looks and feels a lot more Southern than Dallas does. And Dallas is no slouch when it comes to diversity either.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
I would have a tough decision between Houston and Dallas...probably in the end it would be Houston.

I'm a big fan of Dallas. It has some terrific infill development, gentrifying neighborhoods, and walkability. I think the DART light rail is surprisingly useful. Nice arts and culture scene. Weather is slightly more moderate, and have some good friends/family there. Great food including a decent Asian selection.

Houston, imo, is a little bit behind Dallas in these areas except for Asian food and the arts. And, in the end, despite the shortcomings, I think that would be the clincher for my wife. So as long as we could find a gentrifying walkable neighborhood to invest in, Houston would lure us with the arts and cheap Asian food.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
None of them. It's Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City