Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this judgment can be taken as valid, especially with it coming from someone from one of the most southern states.
I realize you're from Alabama, but that doesn't sway me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Here's the thing. There isn't one walkable city in Texas. Not one.

There are a handful of walkable neighborhoods in the entire state.

If I absolutely had to pick the most walkable city in Texas, I would say Dallas because the Uptown and Oak Lawn neighborhoods are the most walkable in the state. But even then I would not call Dallas walkable.
Walkable is relative. My legs might be longer than yours.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
FW's downtown is a charm. There is a reason it ranked best downtown in the United States of America (yea, that's right!)

Different strokes for different folks though. I wouldn't say it's better than Houston or uptown/downtown Dallas. It depends on the person. But downtown FW is definitely more vibrant than downtown Dallas on Thurs evening to Sunday afternoon. The only thing the city lacks is a skyline
Not sure how accurate that list is, there's no way it's more vibrant than the Downtown Manhattan or Downtown Boston

Old 10-17-2015, 09:31 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Fort Worth, like Austin and San Antonio, puts all its eggs into one basket, in terms of creating active, pedestrian friendly environments. Yes, you have your Sundance Square in Ft. Worth, or your 6th St. in Austin, but not much outside those areas, especially in terms of varied urban neighborhoods to the fabric. In Houston, at least, outside of downtown, you have Midtown, Heights, Montrose, etc. The grid set-up for Houston inside 610 is designed to sustain high-density walkable development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa
Fort Worth doesn't look walkable at all aside from the small downtown, outside the moat of highways around it, there's nothing but industrial parks and suburbs
Yes this also applies to Dallas neighborhoods, but in comparison to their population Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio do a better job than Dallas and Houston in their core. They may look one way on google maps Warszawa, but it doesn't mean that's how it feels in person. It is what it is.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Yes. Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin does a better job inside of it's core. More vibrant and more active. Dallas and Houston does a better job outside of its core and the remainder of the city.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston's downtown, in terms of structure and design, is no less inherently walkable than what you have in Ft. Worth, Austin, or San Antonio. Houston's downtown has the strong urban grid, wide sidewalks (without obstructions), and block-by-block layout that many walkable down-towns have; all it is missing is the pedestrian buzz.

Fort Worth, like Austin and San Antonio, puts all its eggs into one basket, in terms of creating active, pedestrian friendly environments. Yes, you have your Sundance Square in Ft. Worth, or your 6th St. in Austin, but not much outside those areas, especially in terms of varied urban neighborhoods to the fabric. In Houston, at least, outside of downtown, you have Midtown, Heights, Montrose, etc. The grid set-up for Houston inside 610 is designed to sustain high-density walkable development.
I wondered that also, I don't think Ft. Worth or Austin has any areas throughout the city that has a collective of bars, restaurants, shops or entertainment within one environment. For example Atlanta has Midtown, Little Five Points, Buckhead, Decatur, and etc. Same for Nashville, even in Birmingham I attended a show that was outside of downtown.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Walkable is relative. My legs might be longer than yours.
Considering I'm 6'6, I doubt it. 😉

Old 10-17-2015, 02:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
For me walkable means that I can get to a place by walking in under an hour, and that the walk is safe (don't have to cross highways, sidewalks are present, low crime). I'm used to hour long commutes so I dont care if Im getting there by bus or by foot

Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Considering I'm 6'6, I doubt it. ��
I have no way of knowing if you are actually 6 foot 6, but my point still stands. Living without a car in most of urbanized Houston is neither impossible or very limiting. Inside of Beltway 8 (with the exception of the NE side), all necessities are accessible on foot or a short transit ride. Other amenities may only be reached by car, but this is probably true in every urban area that isn't New York.

Sidewalks may be in poor condition and few in number, but there are urban places all over the planet for which the same can be said.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I have no way of knowing if you are actually 6 foot 6, but my point still stands. Living without a car in most of urbanized Houston is neither impossible or very limiting. Inside of Beltway 8 (with the exception of the NE side), all necessities are accessible on foot or a short transit ride. Other amenities may only be reached by car, but this is probably true in every urban area that isn't New York.

Sidewalks may be in poor condition and few in number, but there are urban places all over the planet for which the same can be said.
It's not impossible but I can't figure why on earth you think it isn't limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City