Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:31 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

lol. Houston posters. You don't have to get emotional on every aspect of your city. All of know both Houston and Dallas are hot in the Summer especially during the day. But many prefer Dallas hot weather because it's tolerable and drier during the day and it at night, the air is not as muggy as it is in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I enjoy Houston's gulf breeze like I enjoy Houston's very extensive subway system. That is to say, its hard to enjoy something that doesnt exist.

And perhaps, Anthony, you missed my post about the humidity levels in both. Houston is significantly more humid than Dallas, period. And the average high in Houston in summer is 93. The average high in Dallas is 96. Thats three degrees which is not much when you throw humidity on top of it.

Youre grasping at straws for something that happens, statistically, every three to four days (summer downpours). Houston isnt Singapore where it does rain every day. It cools down in the area where there is rain, however, Houston is so geographically huge, it almost never rains over the whole city in the summer.

Regarding Jack Lance's chart, did you miss the part where the relative humidity in Houston is far higher in Houston? Thats what makes people unconfortable, not the heat itself.
Peter and "others" that is what a heat index is about. It combines the actual temperature with the relative humidity to form a "feels like" number which is also called a heat index. The relevance of the chart is to show when you factor the heat and humidity the feels like numbers in DFW and Houston are almost identical, with DFW actually being a tenth of a degree higher. So arguing that the humidity in Houston makes the heat harder to deal with is disingenuous when the facts show that a individual is in the long run is as equally miserable in one as the other in the Summer.

Now we all know that Houston's winters are milder and that is due to Houston not only being 250 miles further south but also our proximity to the Gulf Coast which will tend to keep adjacent land areas a bit warmer as well. So you see the Gulf not only influences the Houston winters but the Summers as well.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Now we all know that Houston's winters are milder and that is due to Houston not only being 250 miles further south but also our proximity to the Gulf Coast which will tend to keep adjacent land areas a bit warmer as well. So you see the Gulf not only influences the Houston winters but the Summers as well.
And yet, its the humidity that people find difficult to deal with. Im a long distance runner and I was used to running in DFW's 96-100 degree heat. It takes more energy to run in Houston at 90 degrees than DFW at 100 degrees. Why? Its the humidity. It all goes back to the humidity. Houston is sticky as all get out. If there is a Gulf Breeze to be had, I certainly havent felt it.

Youll get no arguement from me that Houston's winters are more mild. Thats why I prefer the weather here overall. But the summer evenings in Dallas are much nicer than the ones here. Perhaps you and Anthony should go spend a summer there so you can see what Im talking about.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
And yet, its the humidity that people find difficult to deal with. Im a long distance runner and I was used to running in DFW's 96-100 degree heat. It takes more energy to run in Houston at 90 degrees than DFW at 100 degrees. Why? Its the humidity. It all goes back to the humidity. Houston is sticky as all get out. If there is a Gulf Breeze to be had, I certainly havent felt it.

Youll get no arguement from me that Houston's winters are more mild. Thats why I prefer the weather here overall. But the summer evenings in Dallas are much nicer than the ones here. Perhaps you and Anthony should go spend a summer there so you can see what Im talking about.
Pete the humidity is an integral part of what the heat index is. You cannot separate them as if one has nothing to do with the other. Your personal anecdotes aside what the heat index means is that on average people will find summers in Houston and Dallas equally as oppressive or delightful whichever the case may be, and that is what the chart I posted shows.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Pete the humidity is an integral part of what the heat index is. You cannot separate them as if one has nothing to do with the other. Your personal anecdotes aside what the heat index means is that on average people will find summers in Houston and Dallas equally as oppressive or delightful whichever the case may be, and that is what the chart I posted shows.
During the day, yes. Both are horribly opressive. Theres no true winner there.

However, at night, Dallas summers are more pleasant. Thats my arguement. Having lived in both, Ill stand by that. The average low at night in the middle of summer in Dallas is 76, in Houston its 75. Its still humid at night in Houston, its dry in Dallas. I dont think it takes much to understand where Im coming from.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Here's the humidity levels for Dallas. Not seeing much in the way of "dry".

Both cities are considerably humid; one a bit more so than the other.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:
During the day, yes. Both are horribly opressive. Theres no true winner there.

However, at night, Dallas summers are more pleasant. Thats my arguement. Having lived in both, Ill stand by that. The average low at night in the middle of summer in Dallas is 76, in Houston its 75. Its still humid at night in Houston, its dry in Dallas. I dont think it takes much to understand where Im coming from.
Your moving the goal post Pete. You said it took more energy to run at 90 degrees in Houston as 100 degrees in Dallas, are these nighttime temps you are running in. BTW I am a runner too, I have not run in North Texas but I have run in Central Texas and find the ability to shade run in Houston to offset the difference in humidity and then some. Not to mention level ground consuming less energy than uneven terrain.

Also to go back to where Houston breezes come from. When I run in the summer I always find I am headed into a breeze when I am running to the south and with the wind when running in a northerly direction and this is almost without exception in the Houston summers.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
I don't think anyone has said Dallas is dry. We are saying it's drier than Houston especially during the afternoons in the summer and early evening.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think anyone has said Dallas is dry. We are saying it's drier than Houston especially during the afternoons in the summer and early evening.
No, peter clearly described Dallas as dry in a post above, and the humidity levels I posted show that is definitely not the case. Average relative humidity remains above 50% all year long.

During July and August, Dallas is noticeably drier when those SW winds roll in and disturb the Gulf winds that are usually dominating. You also have those drier periods in fall where the sky is pretty cloudless, but this happens in Houston as well.

Dallas is dry much in the same way that many Upper South cities are, just with a lot less rainfall. It's still a humid city, though, with a substantial amount of greenery to boot.

Amarillo is somewhat dry. El Paso is definitely dry. Dallas is more like Houston than either of those two cities.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
No, peter clearly described Dallas as dry in a post above
Show me.

More dry than Houston, aboslutely.

Dry like Arizona, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City