Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

That would basically mean only 800,000 are Black Americans in Houston. I doubt that 200k number as well when I think about it. I seen an article that says the Nigerian population is as much as 300k in Houston. which is hard to believe. I do know some Nigerians think their presence is larger than only 22k. But I don't know how much larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
There are some Nigerian sources that say that Houston has 200,000 Nigerians.
I think the confusion lies in the fact that some us born residents of Nigerian decent still identify as nigerian. While Dallas and Atlanta have been getting more new Africans recently, Houston has had a large population for decades. Houston does seem to feel more African than Atlanta and DFW. Far more African. The US born Africans still eat the traditional foods, and many develop accents that are a mix of American and their parents accents. To me Houston feels as African as DC, and a lot more so than Atlanta and DFW, although the foreign born numbers are not there.

A similar but less noticeable argument can be made for the Indian population

Old 10-21-2015, 02:13 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think the confusion lies in the fact that some us born residents of Nigerian decent still identify as nigerian. While Dallas and Atlanta have been getting more new Africans recently, Houston has had a large population for decades. Houston does seem to feel more African than Atlanta and DFW. Far more African. The US born Africans still eat the traditional foods, and many develop accents that are a mix of American and their parents accents. To me Houston feels as African as DC, and a lot more so than Atlanta and DFW, although the foreign born numbers are not there.

A similar but less noticeable argument can be made for the Indian population
This is what I'm saying. Houston does feel a lot more African.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This is what I'm saying. Houston does feel a lot more African.
Do you have any idea as to what youre even saying? How much experience do you have in the African neighborhoods in the DFW area? Im not talking about African American, but African Immigrant.

Have you been to Little Ethiopia (Greenville and Forrest) in Dallas?

Have you been to Vickery Meadows?

Have you been to South Garland?

Have you been to Irving?

If Houston's African community feels more co-hesive, its because its a lot less diverse (Nigerian centric) than a Dallas or Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:52 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
I'm glad Houston is getting some relief from the heat.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Never fails. Post about the 5 major Texas cities, ends up being about Dallas vs. Houston. I fell for it too...

Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 PM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
Can't beat Old El Paso. Good climate, great people, and a natural meeting point for Mexican food, Texas BBQ, and New Mexican cuisine ,and , well, I lived in the Plex and it is way too frustrating trying to get your bearings without the mountains to go by.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Austin and Houston are my favs.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Finally this thread is finally on track,
MY little tidbit about Africans, although it is clearly Nigerian dominated which in no way is monolithic, their are 250 ethnic groups and the immigrants usually fall into one of the top 4-5 biggest ethnicity.
Their might be 22k nationals, but from what i know their are thousands of U.S born Nigerians, in Houston albiet mostly children like my sister, and again their are many who identify as African American but still eat the food and may even speak the language and they go around with other Nigerians. I don't know the exact number of Nigerians in Houston, but of those living here probably 50k or so, and of those staying temporarily it may fluctuate from 80k to 120k depending on time period an their is this annual Oil Conference where Nigerians seem to enter Houston in the thousands. Honestly I have been to the Nigerian Embassy once or twice, can't remember what reason but i am going to be honest, their were no less than 1,000 people there, hard to believe on two different days that 1 out of 20 Nigerians were at the Embassy on two different days. Also their are at least 5 different redeemed Church of God with the average church hosting 200-1000 members. Here is their website OUR HISTORY | Redeemed Christian Church of God (Click at your own risk not sure if it happens to everyone but a online TV website pops up when I sometimes click the link)
"Since 1981, an open explosion began with the number of parishes growing in leaps and bounds. At the last count, there are at least about 2000 parishes of the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Nigeria. On the International scene, the church is present in other African nations including C’ote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Gambia, Cameroon, and South Africa. In Europe the church is spread in England, Germany, and France. In the United States there are parishes in Dallas, Tallahassee, Houston, New York, Washington, and Chicago and also in the Caribbean states of Haiti and Jamaica."
Although these churches aren't exclusively Nigerian, almost all of them in the U.S, England, France and Africa 90% Nigerian, or at least 95% African, I am not sure about the other places. Their are at least 9-12 according to this Yellow Pages- Redeemed Christian Church Of God in Houston, Texas with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com and with the possible lowest I know at least 2 (one in old Katy and one in SW Houston that have 1,000+ each and that is roughly 3,000- 7,000 people going to just one large Nigerian church and that doesn't count Nigerians who go to American churches which is starting to become the majority or the Muslim Nigerians although underrepresented in the U.S are still 48% or more of all Nigerians.
These aren't facts but I just think their is well over 22k Nigerians in the Houston area and this is my proof for it. Also the fact although abnormal my school which is a charter school in Katy, is at least 20% Black (Lots of people from Alief/Richmond/Mission Bend/Fulshear so the school doesn't represent Katy's demographics and is on the fringe of Katy and Richmond (ISD's) hence more people actually live in Richmond than in Cinco Ranch/Katy etc...) out of those 20% black slightly more than 50% are Nigerian and in the older grades Nigerians make up the majority of the black population. My schhol is small but the fact that I talk to Nigerians everyday in a Non-Nigerian owned school, and they are one of the biggest if not the biggest Nationality after American/Mexican I find amazing. It wasn't like these people all new each other it was maybe 3 close families moved to the school and recommended it to one friend and now it seem's like their an abnormal amount of Nigerians in Houston from my view. Also if you include Africans in General the only continent that is bigger is Asians in my school.
Anyway like I said previously I think their are 50k Nigerians and 60 or 70k Africans in the Houston area, I will not talk about africans again in this thread but this is just my 2 cents form my personal experiences.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Finally this thread is finally on track,
MY little tidbit about Africans, although it is clearly Nigerian dominated which in no way is monolithic, their are 250 ethnic groups and the immigrants usually fall into one of the top 4-5 biggest ethnicity.
Their might be 22k nationals, but from what i know their are thousands of U.S born Nigerians, in Houston albiet mostly children like my sister, and again their are many who identify as African American but still eat the food and may even speak the language and they go around with other Nigerians. I don't know the exact number of Nigerians in Houston, but of those living here probably 50k or so, and of those staying temporarily it may fluctuate from 80k to 120k depending on time period an their is this annual Oil Conference where Nigerians seem to enter Houston in the thousands. Honestly I have been to the Nigerian Embassy once or twice, can't remember what reason but i am going to be honest, their were no less than 1,000 people there, hard to believe on two different days that 1 out of 20 Nigerians were at the Embassy on two different days. Also their are at least 5 different redeemed Church of God with the average church hosting 200-1000 members. Here is their website OUR HISTORY | Redeemed Christian Church of God (Click at your own risk not sure if it happens to everyone but a online TV website pops up when I sometimes click the link)
"Since 1981, an open explosion began with the number of parishes growing in leaps and bounds. At the last count, there are at least about 2000 parishes of the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Nigeria. On the International scene, the church is present in other African nations including C’ote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Gambia, Cameroon, and South Africa. In Europe the church is spread in England, Germany, and France. In the United States there are parishes in Dallas, Tallahassee, Houston, New York, Washington, and Chicago and also in the Caribbean states of Haiti and Jamaica."
Although these churches aren't exclusively Nigerian, almost all of them in the U.S, England, France and Africa 90% Nigerian, or at least 95% African, I am not sure about the other places. Their are at least 9-12 according to this Yellow Pages- Redeemed Christian Church Of God in Houston, Texas with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com and with the possible lowest I know at least 2 (one in old Katy and one in SW Houston that have 1,000+ each and that is roughly 3,000- 7,000 people going to just one large Nigerian church and that doesn't count Nigerians who go to American churches which is starting to become the majority or the Muslim Nigerians although underrepresented in the U.S are still 48% or more of all Nigerians.
These aren't facts but I just think their is well over 22k Nigerians in the Houston area and this is my proof for it. Also the fact although abnormal my school which is a charter school in Katy, is at least 20% Black (Lots of people from Alief/Richmond/Mission Bend/Fulshear so the school doesn't represent Katy's demographics and is on the fringe of Katy and Richmond (ISD's) hence more people actually live in Richmond than in Cinco Ranch/Katy etc...) out of those 20% black slightly more than 50% are Nigerian and in the older grades Nigerians make up the majority of the black population. My schhol is small but the fact that I talk to Nigerians everyday in a Non-Nigerian owned school, and they are one of the biggest if not the biggest Nationality after American/Mexican I find amazing. It wasn't like these people all new each other it was maybe 3 close families moved to the school and recommended it to one friend and now it seem's like their an abnormal amount of Nigerians in Houston from my view. Also if you include Africans in General the only continent that is bigger is Asians in my school.
Anyway like I said previously I think their are 50k Nigerians and 60 or 70k Africans in the Houston area, I will not talk about africans again in this thread but this is just my 2 cents form my personal experiences.
I respect this.

I dont necessarily agree with your assessment of the numbers because I always default on the official numbers given by the census and INS, but you made an argument and backed it up with something to show your case.

All Ive gotten so far is hotheaded BS from people who simply make stuff up and try to get people to believe it is fact even though its been so ridiculously outlandish.

Thank you for taking the time to present a well thought out argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City