Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Hahaha...lol...I can't even hate on ol boy though...he's a trooper for real..I like that about him...just never, ever accepts flaws about his city...no matter how slight..lol...he doesnt even care if you actually like the city...he hears you say anything that can be interpretted as negative and he's off to the races...haha...its actually comical to watch sometimes ...takes all kinds though.
He thinks for himself, which is more than what can be said of most of the posters here who just ride each other's opinions and regurgitate stuff they read from somewhere else. Not directing this at you, btw.

Cities like San Francisco and New York are idealized all the time, here, but if a poster does the same with Houston, they're treated like a wacko. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
He thinks for himself, which is more than what can be said of most of the posters here who just ride each other's opinions and regurgitate stuff they probably heard from somewhere else. Not directing this at you, btw.

Cities like San Francisco and New York are idealized all the time, here, but if a poster does the same with Houston, they're treated like a wacko. Go figure.
Wait...what? Since when is being blind to reality a good thing?

It's one thing to say Houston has the best this or that, but saying Houstons summers are refreshing because of the breeze from the Gulf that we don't actually get is residing in parallel universe.

Every city has its good and bad...EVERY SINGLE CITY. If you can't see anything bad about any city, you are blind. PERIOD.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

It's one thing to say Houston has the best this or that, but saying Houstons summers are refreshing because of the breeze from the Gulf that we don't actually get is residing in parallel universe.
Except you do get them on occasion. Certainly not with frequency that Galveston does, but they do happen. Of course, this all depends on where in Houston you are.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Every city has its good and bad...EVERY SINGLE CITY. If you can't see anything bad about any city, you are blind. PERIOD.
I'm certain he doesn't think Houston is perfect. I know for a fact that he's made comments regarding the city's apathetic approach to beautifying.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times
Quote:
He thinks for himself, which is more than what can be said of most of the posters here who just ride each other's opinions and regurgitate stuff they read from somewhere else. Not directing this at you, btw.

Yeah...I don't get that either...I noticed when people romanticize NY of SF or Chicago or LA its acceptable...but you try highlighting DFW or ESPECIALLY Houston's positives and people race to swat those down...totally agree with that..but the reality is that every city has drawbacks, and for Houston, its the road conditions and weather (particularly its unrelenting humidity)...that's a reality for people who don't like oppressive humidity...others may love humidity, but for those who don't, its a drawback. HOWEVER, without Houston's ever present moisture and humidity it wouldn't be as lush and green as it is...so the two characteristics offset each other, for me at least...but I AM able to acknowledge that the city does have some drawbacks even if they are displaced by the benefits of those drawbacks. It does nobody any good to be detached from reality.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:20 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Texas is hot in the Summer. All of Texas.
SE Texas is muggy in the summer. The warm air sits there and envelopes you. Even at night. June, July, August is just boiling hot (although I hear that august want as bad as usual this year).
Central and North Texas are not as humid but both areas are hotter on average than SE texas and have colder and icier winters.
BTW, you think HOUSTON humidity Is bad, Try The valley. Summers there last a lot longer and is noticeably more humid. Even deep into winter the temps and humidity run high. For Texas I would vote the valley for worse summers and the Pan Handle, North Texas and Lubbock areas for the worse winters.
I don't think Houston ranks anywhere in the worse category on either extreme for weather. Not hot, cold, dry, humid.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Except you do get them on occasion. Certainly not with frequency that Galveston does, but they do happen. Of course, this all depends on where in Houston you are.
The prevailing winds through most of the year in Houston, are out of the Southeast, that is fact and of course the Gulf is southeast of Houston so those southeast breezes are "Gulf breezes". If you have lived in Houston for any real length of time you will experience what is know as Sea Breeze fronts that blow in usually in the late afternoon on hot summer days sometimes bringing scattered showers but always cooling winds when they do happen. Many people are stuck in traffic at this time of day and perhaps do not notice them but they do exist and happen frequently in the summer.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You know someone is a booster when they try to pretend that HOUSTON doesn't feel abnormally hot, humid, and muggy in the summer, and that it actually feels "pleasant and breezy" instead.
Never denied the mugginess of Houston's summers; I only said that the summers do indeed have many alleviating natural factors, including SE breezes, shade trees, and frequent cloud-cover/rainfall.

Quote:
And that's the truth. Unless you are in Galveston there is no refreshing ocean breeze. You certainly don't get it in Houston. There is nothing refreshing whatsoever about mid summer in Houston. And yes the summers in DFW are easier though still not great.
Galveston obviously has a stronger, more defined breeze from the sea, but the breeze also can be felt in Houston as well, all summer too. I've had many enjoyable strolls in Houston, during evenings following even the hottest of summer days, all due to these SE breezes. Said SE breezes even extend well inland, into many deep Piney Woods cities, as noted by early explorers; Houston definitely receives these breezes.

Dallas may be slightly less humid, but that advantage gets negated by the sheer heat in has compared to Houston. Less trees, less cloud-cover, and less rain in Dallas vs Houston means that Dallas has less factors to alleviate the heat than Houston. And in the end, Dallas has hotter average heat indices than Houston does. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yet, Houston never technically actually 'receives' a SE breeze...more like the SE breeze heads TOWARDS Houston, then diverges and re-converges after it has left the other side of the city, because of (wait for it!..lol) the heat and buildings and trees break up the breeze and the actual wind never directly reaches Houston...the only thing the SE breeze actually ushers into Houston is rain and possibly thunderstorms as it the cool sea air meets with the warm stagnant airmass over Houston. Meaning what? More stagnant, saturated humid air, at marginally lower temps than there would be without the SE breeze. So for me, the SE breeze isn't even remotely noticeable most of the time, if ever.

And the elevation difference is notable.
The SE breeze comes from the sea, and therefore, is a sea-breeze. Your argument is invalid.

As for mugginess after thunderstorms, it depends. A really powerful, soaking thunderstorm can significantly cool down temps, with the effects lasting all the way past sunset (temps can drop as much as 20 degrees from such powerful storms, due to the sea-breeze gust fronts from these storms). When such storms occur early during a summer day in Houston, it can occur that high temps for the day don't reach higher than the low 80s, if that. It's only the quick showers (lasting less than a minute), that create the extra feeling of mugginess; and even then, temps are lower, and the sun's rays are blocked, so relief is ensured.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Never denied the mugginess of Houston's summers; I only said that the summers do indeed have many alleviating natural factors, including SE breezes, shade trees, and frequent cloud-cover/rainfall.

Galveston obviously has a stronger, more defined breeze from the sea, but the breeze also can be felt in Houston as well, all summer too. I've had many enjoyable strolls in Houston, during evenings following even the hottest of summer days, all due to these SE breezes. Said SE breezes even extend well inland, into many deep Piney Woods cities, as noted by early explorers; Houston definitely receives these breezes.

Dallas may be slightly less humid, but that advantage gets negated by the sheer heat in has compared to Houston. Less trees, less cloud-cover, and less rain in Dallas vs Houston means that Dallas has less factors to alleviate the heat than Houston. And in the end, Dallas has hotter average heat indices than Houston does. Look it up.

The SE breeze comes from the sea, and therefore, is a sea-breeze. Your argument is invalid.

As for mugginess after thunderstorms, it depends. A really powerful, soaking thunderstorm can significantly cool down temps, with the effects lasting all the way past sunset (temps can drop as much as 20 degrees from such powerful storms, due to the sea-breeze gust fronts from these storms). When such storms occur early during a summer day in Houston, it can occur that high temps for the day don't reach higher than the low 80s, if that. It's only the quick showers (lasting less than a minute), that create the extra feeling of mugginess; and even then, temps are lower, and the sun's rays are blocked, so relief is ensured.
The SE breeze comes frome the sea, and therefore is a seabreeze that never directly contacts Houston. Your argument is meritless. And most of the daytime summer showers in Houston are brief and are the kind that do little more than drop more humidity on top of the already hot stagnant air.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I wondered that also, I don't think Ft. Worth or Austin has any areas throughout the city that has a collective of bars, restaurants, shops or entertainment within one environment. For example Atlanta has Midtown, Little Five Points, Buckhead, Decatur, and etc. Same for Nashville, even in Birmingham I attended a show that was outside of downtown.
Can't speak for Austin, but Fort Worth has:

- West 7th/Cultural District
- Near Southside
- The Stockyards
- TCU
- Panther Island (under construction)

... ALL growing, including downtown, which eventually will be broken up into its own little districts with Sundance already "matured" into an entertainment/shopping district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City