Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 03:39 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,928,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Nah...it feels stagnant in Houston during summer to me..significantly so, at that
Perhaps Houston's UHI, from all the concrete sprawl, may create a heat-sink in the city, giving off the illusion of stagnant air that you perceive. Nevertheless, there are constant SE winds coming in from the Gulf that can be felt; it makes even the hottest of summer days quite refreshing during evening.

Unlike summers in much of inland Texas, Houston summers are accompanied by lots of clouds in the sky, plentiful rainfall, and breezes from the sea, allowing for larger opportunities for relief compared to those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Once it gets above 95 degrees, the presence or absence of a breeze doesn't make much of a difference to me.

For my money, Galveston has the best summers. Humid, yes, but the temps are greatly moderated by the Gulf and there's always an ocean breeze in the air.
In fact, if temps are hot enough, and the winds are fast and dry enough, the perceived temp can actually feel hotter:
At Least There's A Breeze: Wind and Heat

Galveston does indeed have the best summers in Texas; nowhere else in Texas, other than the high mountain peaks of West Texas, has summers like Galveston, where many summer days don't even reach 90F.

Quote:
Yeah...if I could get the coastal breeze I feel in Galveston in Houston, Houston's summers would be alot more bearable...but as it is, with the stagnant, humidity laden air in Houston, its summers edge DFW's out in the oppressiveness index for me.

And I agree that Texarkana gives a good feeling for 4 seasons. Tyler delivers that as well, for me.
Even though Dallas has higher average heat index values than Houston....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,144,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Perhaps Houston's UHI, from all the concrete sprawl, may create a heat-sink in the city, giving off the illusion of stagnant air that you perceive. Nevertheless, there are constant SE winds coming in from the Gulf that can be felt; it makes even the hottest of summer days quite refreshing during evening.

Unlike summers in much of inland Texas, Houston summers are accompanied by lots of clouds in the sky, plentiful rainfall, and breezes from the sea, allowing for larger opportunities for relief compared to those areas.

In fact, if temps are hot enough, and the winds are fast and dry enough, the perceived temp can actually feel hotter:
At Least There's A Breeze: Wind and Heat

Galveston does indeed have the best summers in Texas; nowhere else in Texas, other than the high mountain peaks of West Texas, has summers like Galveston, where many summer days don't even reach 90F.

Even though Dallas has higher average heat index values than Houston....

Right, that is a well known fact..but Dallas' hot air doesn't feel stagnant to me...Houston's air almost feels like its too heavy and saturated with humidity to even stir sometimes...that, plus Dallas' higher altitude and relative lack of trees compared to Houston makes its air feel thinner and more transient than Houstons to me.

Last edited by soletaire; 10-18-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Right, that is a well known fact..but Dallas' hot air doesn't feel stagnant to me...Houston's air almost feels like its too heavy and saturated with humidity to even stir sometimes...that, plus Dallas' higher altitude and relative lack of trees compared to Houston makes its air makes its air feel more transient than Houstons to me.
Still doesn't change the fact that Houston does receive constant SE breezes from the Gulf, which are cooler and, thus, more refreshing than a dry land breeze, which Dallas receives. The elevation of Dallas vs Houston is negligible in respect to climate differences, and the amount of trees Houston has compared to Dallas makes it more comfortable; trees provide shade from the heat and sun.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,432,300 times
1. Austin - it's young and attracts a lot of artists. I think it would be a lot of fun.

2. San Antonio - I think this area of the county is beautiful, plus I like the riverwalk and the town's history.

3. Dallas - has lots of good professional opportunities, lots of young people

4. Houston - I heard traffic here is a nightmare

5. El Paso - border crisis is what would keep me away

Old 10-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that Houston does receive constant SE breezes from the Gulf, which are cooler and, thus, more refreshing than a dry land breeze, which Dallas receives. The elevation of Dallas vs Houston is negligible in respect to climate differences, and the amount of trees Houston has compared to Dallas makes it more comfortable; trees provide shade from the heat and sun.
...which still doesn't change the fact that Houston's hot air is more stagnant than DFW's and DFW's relative lack of trees provides less of a windbreak compared to Houston...and I find the elevation differences substantial enough to influence the climate.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
...which still doesn't change the fact that Houston's hot air is more stagnant than DFW's and DFW's relative lack of trees provides less of a windbreak compared to Houston...and I find the elevation differences substantial enough to influence the climate.
But if Houston's hot air is receiving SE breeze from the Gulf, then it isn't stagnant at all. While lack of trees in Dallas create less of a windbreak than in Houston, the winds in Houston still feel sufficiently calming, and the shade those trees create is provides relief from the heat.

The elevation difference is negligible.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:31 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,109,898 times
You know someone is a booster when they try to pretend that HOUSTON doesn't feel abnormally hot, humid, and muggy in the summer, and that it actually feels "pleasant and breezy" instead.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
I'll start by saying I prefer the weather in Houston because, as putrid as the summers are, I hate winter with a passion. I would rather deal with Houstons stagnated, humid, muggy, terrible summers than one day of ice or snow.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You know someone is a booster when they try to pretend that HOUSTON doesn't feel abnormally hot, humid, and muggy in the summer, and that it actually feels "pleasant and breezy" instead.
And that's the truth. Unless you are in Galveston there is no refreshing ocean breeze. You certainly don't get it in Houston. There is nothing refreshing whatsoever about mid summer in Houston. And yes the summers in DFW are easier though still not great.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
But if Houston's hot air is receiving SE breeze from the Gulf, then it isn't stagnant at all. While lack of trees in Dallas create less of a windbreak than in Houston, the winds in Houston still feel sufficiently calming, and the shade those trees create is provides relief from the heat.

The elevation difference is negligible.
Yet, Houston never technically actually 'receives' a SE breeze...more like the SE breeze heads TOWARDS Houston, then diverges and re-converges after it has left the other side of the city, because of (wait for it!..lol) the heat and buildings and trees break up the breeze and the actual wind never directly reaches Houston...the only thing the SE breeze actually ushers into Houston is rain and possibly thunderstorms as it the cool sea air meets with the warm stagnant airmass over Houston. Meaning what? More stagnant, saturated humid air, at marginally lower temps than there would be without the SE breeze. So for me, the SE breeze isn't even remotely noticeable most of the time, if ever.

And the elevation difference is notable.

Last edited by soletaire; 10-18-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Hahaha...lol...I can't even hate on ol boy though...he's a trooper for real..I like that about him...just never, ever accepts flaws about his city...no matter how slight..lol...he doesnt even care if you actually like the city...he hears you say anything that can be interpretted as negative and he's off to the races...haha...its actually comical to watch sometimes ...takes all kinds though.

Last edited by soletaire; 10-18-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City