Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. I've experienced both cities in the summer. Give me Dallas 95 over Houston's 95. Houston is more humid in the Summer afternoon's than Dallas. Dallas is a bit drier but nothing like Phoenix or even West Texas for that matter. I also like the fact that Dallas has 4 seasons.

At this point, I feel the same....DFW at least cools off a little at night, plus they have breezes that stir the air....Houstons summer air is stagnant, and because of the 24/7 humidity, no palpable relief can be felt at night, aside from not having the sun beaming directly on u.... At least not to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Indeed.

The notion that there is huge gap between the temperatures in summer in Dallas vs. Houston is ridiculous.

What is different is the level of humidity.
Yeah, and people react to humidity differently. Some prefer dry air, some can't stand it.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
At this point, I feel the same....DFW at least cools off a little at night, plus they have breezes that stir the air....Houstons summer air is stagnant, and because of the 24/7 humidity, no palpable relief can be felt at night, aside from not having the sun beaming directly on u.... At least not to me...
I honestly feel like the differences in seasons between Dallas and Houston are a bit overstated. Dallas is noticeably icier in the winter, but both cities are super green and wet during spring, stove tops in summer, and have considerably warm autumns with minimal fall color.

Not saying the differences aren't noticeable, but they aren't distinct enough for me to give Dallas any real advantage here. The only TX city that gives me a true image of four seasons is Texarkana.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah, and people react to humidity differently. Some prefer dry air, some can't stand it.
Like me, for example. I just don't see the appeal of a lack of moisture in the air. Dallas summers can be so ugly with all the brown grass and trees.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
That would be great if on most days it is 85 in Houston its 95 in Dallas.

When its 95 in Dallas, its typically around 92 in Houston with full humidity to boot.
I'd take Houston's humid 92F over a "slightly-less-humid" 95F in Dallas any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You guys are generous with the mild temps.
Was thinking more like 98 in Houston, 104 in DFW, with feels like temps over 100 for both. All of this is splitting hairs though. Texas is hot as Hades in the summer no matter where you are. 110 and dry is miserable, 90 and humid is just as miserable.
Houston isn't often that hot during summer; most years, the highest temp reached in the central city is no higher than the upper 90s, only for a few days at most. But because the official weather station is at Bush Airport, a location quite inland from the Gulf compared to the central core, readouts on weather channels often show Houston being hotter than much of the area really is.

Along the coastal areas, average summer high temps barely reach 90F; that area of the metro can easily go a decade without reaching triple digits.

Quote:
Indeed.

The notion that there is huge gap between the temperatures in summer in Dallas vs. Houston is ridiculous.

What is different is the level of humidity.
I don't know, 96F in Dallas vs 92F in Houston, during the hottest summer month, sounds pretty marked to me.

In addition to humidity, you also have the more frequent rainfall and cloud-cover during Houston summers to keep temps down.

Quote:
The notion that Houston's air is stagnant is nonsense; Houston always has constant SE winds blowing into the city, due to proximity to the Gulf. Houston's breeze comes from the ocean, unlike Dallas's breeze, which is over land. Thus, Houston's breeze has more of a cooling effect.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I'd take Houston's humid 92F over a "slightly-less-humid" 95F in Dallas any day.

Houston isn't often that hot during summer; most years, the highest temp reached in the central city is no higher than the upper 90s, only for a few days at most. But because the official weather station is at Bush Airport, a location quite inland from the Gulf compared to the central core, readouts on weather channels often show Houston being hotter than much of the area really is.

Along the coastal areas, average summer high temps barely reach 90F; that area of the metro can easily go a decade without reaching triple digits.

I don't know, 96F in Dallas vs 92F in Houston, during the hottest summer month, sounds pretty marked to me.

In addition to humidity, you also have the more frequent rainfall and cloud-cover during Houston summers to keep temps down.

The notion that Houston's air is stagnant is nonsense; Houston always has constant SE winds blowing into the city, due to proximity to the Gulf. Houston's breeze comes from the ocean, unlike Dallas's breeze, which is over land. Thus, Houston's breeze has more of a cooling effect.

Nah...it feels stagnant in Houston during summer to me..significantly so, at that

Old 10-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Once it gets above 95 degrees, the presence or absence of a breeze doesn't make much of a difference to me.

For my money, Galveston has the best summers. Humid, yes, but the temps are greatly moderated by the Gulf and there's always an ocean breeze in the air.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:51 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I honestly feel like the differences in seasons between Dallas and Houston are a bit overstated. Dallas is noticeably icier in the winter, but both cities are super green and wet during spring, stove tops in summer, and have considerably warm autumns with minimal fall color.

Not saying the differences aren't noticeable, but they aren't distinct enough for me to give Dallas any real advantage here. The only TX city that gives me a true image of four seasons is Texarkana.
Me either. I really dont notice the difference, I do know they are both very hot in the summer though, just like all of Texas. I would also add Tyler and Huntsville to as far as image, also some areas in the Hill Country/Central Texas are very nice in the fall.

Houston - The reason I live in Houston is becuase it a very large city and the diversity is amazing and my career is heavly involved with O/G. I live in Uptown Houston now and I love it. 610W is the best area to live in Texas, hands down. There is no area in Texas like it IMO.

San Antonio - Give me Alamo Height's and the Dominions. I really like these areas in San Antonio. I also like the hispanic food and the Spanish architecture of some of the homes. San Antonio is about an hour away from Austin, 2 hours from Houston and Corupus Christi. Going to a Spurs game and hitting up the river walk and some of the theme parks are cool too. You can also go shopping; Rivercenter, The Quarry and Northstar. San Macus is not too far either. Plus i have family and my best friend is from there.

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Austin
El Paso

Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Yeah...if I could get the coastal breeze I feel in Galveston in Houston, Houston's summers would be alot more bearable...but as it is, with the stagnant, humidity laden air in Houston, its summers edge DFW's out in the oppressiveness index for me.

And I agree that Texarkana gives a good feeling for 4 seasons. Tyler delivers that as well, for me.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:12 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Nah...it feels stagnant in Houston during summer to me..significantly so, at that
Yeah Houston feels far more soupy to mean in the Summer than Dallas and Central Texas ever did. When it got to 102 in Central Texas, it was hot, but it didn't feel unbearable. I find Dallas summers tolerable to me compared to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City