Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Have fun stepping in human feces while you're admiring all the sub-par architecture that's selling for absurd prices.
Lol And I still hear no rebuttal from them about my earlier post. It seems a lot of what makes San Francisco so expensive is ridiculously artificial in nature, and not all of it tied into its desirability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Why is real estate more expensive in San Francisco than Manhattan? Why is Luanda, Angola the most expensive city in the world? As these two examples illustrate, more expensive does not always equate to better.

San Francisco real estate is now more expensive than Manhattan

1. Luanda, Angola - 10 most expensive cities - CNNMoney

Old 04-15-2016, 02:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Lol And I still hear no rebuttal from them about my earlier post. It seems a lot of what makes San Francisco so expensive is ridiculously artificial in nature, and not all of it tied into its desirability...
I just think that there are so many great urban areas in the country that go overlooked, most of which are really affordable. SF is a truly great city with amazing scenery, great food, excellent cultural opportunities. Very unique in the US. But the COL there is shameful, as it is in a few other urban areas. The best cities are the ones with diversity in income levels, but that's JMO.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yes, and a re-organized business tax structure would do wonders for demand with office space. And while doing so would be a good thing for the city, there is good with the way it is now. The ability for individual restaurateurs, entrepreneurs and others to launch a business has made the city so incredibly interesting and rich in culture. I'm not sure why anyone would parade around the fact that their favorite city is prohibitively expensive.
Yea, no Chamber of Commerce wants to entice businesses with this bait: "Set up your shop here! We are prohibitably expensive!" It seems lots of small tech ventures are incubating in Old City and UCity. Also, here is a recent article covering the boom in Fishtown: Fishtown, where small businesses bloom.

We have a good friend who recently bought a loft in Fishtown. By loft, I mean raw space in a converted warehouse - not a "built to sell" loft with granite countertops. Every time we visit, there are a large number of younger folks who are staying on the el through Spring Garden and instead exiting at Girard. Seems there's a new bar/restaurant open on each visit. The buzz no longer stops at Northern Liberties. There's plenty going on in Fishtown these days, which is now pushing energy into Kensington and Port Richmond.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Combination of land constraints and colocation of many major corporate headquarters. Wouldn't say that's the reason Manhattan's downtown is much better in regards to all the criteria the OP listed though. Chicago's easily the second best downtown in the US after NYC and gets its price per square feet taken down a bit, despite having all those major corporate headquarters, because it isn't as constrained by land and is a bit less precious in preserving historic buildings. Anyhow, you seem to agree with the sentiment, so it's not you really felt like the guy was going on a tangent--just annoyed when the tangent doesn't end up a glowing endorsement for whatever side you're on. Right?

No, I think some of your points are valid in regard to price, but I also think those prices are reflective of demand. Demand means that people or companies want to be there despite the high prices. If you put those prices in Philly or Chicago they'd go vacant/wouldnt sell etc...

And even if some of you think its blasphemous to put SF in the discussion with Chicago for 2nd best downtown, I think its very valid. There are a lot of metrics where SF meets and exceeds Chicago.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:40 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And even if some of you think its blasphemous to put SF in the discussion with Chicago for 2nd best downtown, I think its very valid. There are a lot of metrics where SF meets and exceeds Chicago.
That might be better debated in a different thread. It seems there are a number of people who feel SF fails to meet the requirements for 3rd.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:43 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
What's the best place to see the Philly skyline?

Also, when will or how likely will Center City get:
- RFID card readers for its transit system with NJT and Patco fare integration.
- Franklin Square Patco station
- The cap over the I-95 to better integrate Center City and its waterfront
- Regional Rail to increase frequencies out of peak hours and run more like BART on interlined parts
- Viaduct Rail Park

Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM

644 posts, read 1,018,415 times
Quote:
Take a look at all the comments when the CITC was announced with renderings, it was universally booed.

Salesforce is sleek and timeless in design. I think what bothers me about some Philly folk, is when this building was announced they acted like wow, this vaults us to the 3rd best skyline in the US. First San Francisco, LA, Houston and Miami all have more buildings than Philly does. Houston has two building with higher rooftops than either of the Comcasts. Miami has far more buildings, SF has far more buildings and greater density downtown.
Its great to have a tall building going up in Philly, but we know its place as tallest outside NY & Chi is a farce. Between SF, LA and Houston there are 5 buildings with rooftops taller than CITC, and yes Comcast Center will still visually be the tallest in Philly. Same goes for US Bank in LA over Wilshire Grand.
Philadelphia was already the 3rd. best skyline in the U.S. CITC is just frosting on the cake.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Your premise is all wrong. SF is much cheaper than Manhattan. And Angola is dirt cheap.

And SF has healthy housing construction. It has high housing prices because it's desirable, not because of artificial constraints. It isn't like SF would be cheap if you built highrise towers everywhere. That has never worked in the history of desirable cities.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:50 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
No, I think some of your points are valid in regard to price, but I also think those prices are reflective of demand. Demand means that people or companies want to be there despite the high prices. If you put those prices in Philly or Chicago they'd go vacant/wouldnt sell etc...

Right, and there are metrics that would put downtown DC ahead or even downtown LA ahead. I think you can try and make a Chicago vs SF for second best downtown, but you'd really have to tailor it towards weighting very specific things (take down skyline, parks, mass transit and cultural institutions, put a vast priority on upscale shopping where SF can tie and then throw in cost per square feet as the clincher).

Again, the argument that downtown Philadelphia and downtown SF are close works so well, because Philadelphia really concentrated a lot of its goods in downtown.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-15-2016 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 04:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No I dont think so.

Commerce Square is a very prominent and massive complex in downtown Philadelphia that sold for $331 million.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...nter-city.html

1818 Market in Philadelphia sold for $184 million.http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...finalized.html

So I dont know about 3 Logan Square fetching $400 Million now. Probably not.

Also, Vornado/ Trump paid $575 per sq ft for 555 California which is $1.03 billion.
http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Vornado-Strikes-$18-Billion-Bi-Coastal-Blockbuster/87813

And dont cry okay. If u want to go up against a city of SFs caliber, you cant avoid desirability. Welcome to the Big Leagues.
Not arguing that San Francisco is more desirable at all. I'm simply saying that higher price does not equal better architecture.

555 California is just not better architecture than Three Logan Square... no matter how much you want to pretend it is, and no matter how much some Real Estate company overpaid for it. The demand and desirability for the office space inside of the building, has nothing to do with the architecture of the building.

This...
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...371/546789.jpg

Is just simply not better architecture than this...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6146/6...f08a95a7_b.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City