Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs Oklahoma City
Des Moines 115 66.47%
Oklahoma City 58 33.53%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM

570 posts, read 559,707 times

Advertisements

I think if someone saw what OKC looks like now compared to what it was before, I'm sure they'll have a different opinion. I give credit when credit is due. The city has added so much including a massive city park and convention centre that is underway and a brand new light rail system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I think if someone saw what OKC looks like now compared to what it was before, I'm sure they'll have a different opinion. I give credit when credit is due. The city has added so much including a massive city park and convention centre that is underway and a brand new light rail system.
I only saw a streetcar and no light rail system. The city still has a lot of surface parking lots and lack of street activity.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
OKC always loses because it fights so far below its weight. It has improved many times over what it used to be but it still isn't what a city that anchors a metro of over 1 million people is expected to be and it's negative stereotypes are still very strong. And while it is growing, considering its cost of living it's underperforming compared to its peers. However, it also isn't completely boring and devoid of life like it used to be and like most people think it is, especially in 2018.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
OKC really wins handily! Feels much more metropolitan.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC always loses because it fights so far below its weight. It has improved many times over what it used to be but it still isn't what a city that anchors a metro of over 1 million people is expected to be and it's negative stereotypes are still very strong. And while it is growing, considering its cost of living it's underperforming compared to its peers. However, it also isn't completely boring and devoid of life like it used to be and like most people think it is, especially in 2018.
Under performing in growth compared to it's peers? In metros within 25% of OKC's population, OKC (+10.4%) ranks 4th out of 17 by growth rate from 2010-2017, behind Raleigh-Cary (+18.1%), Jacksonville (+11.8%), and Salt Lake City (+10.6%), and ahead of New Orleans (+7.2%), and Richmond (+7.13%).

Increase the parameters to +/- 500,000 and OKC still ranks 4th out of 27 in growth rate.

That's not under performance among peer metros.

Last edited by KayneMo; 07-15-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,542 times
Default Very little in common IMO

These cities have very little in common in my opinion. OKC is the Southwest or South; Des Moines is the Midwest or the "North". People may kind of group Oklahoma and Iowa together because of Iowa State's membership in the old Big 8 and now the Big 12. But these states, outside of a strong agricultural background, have almost nothing else in common.

Weather wise, they're in two completely different climate zones. OKC is a Humid Subtropical climate while Des Moines is a Continental climate. Summers in OKC would be much more brutal. Temps above 100 degrees are common and the humidity, while not on Houston or New Orleans' level, is stifling. I'm guessing Des Moines actually has pretty nice Summer weather. But OKC would easily take the cake on winter weather. A typical winter day in OKC is about 45-50 degrees with sun. Very pleasant. Sure, we get cold blasts from the north with occasional snow and ice, but they're short lived and the weather always levels back out quickly. Shoot, it's not uncommon to have 70s or even 80s in January in OKC.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:50 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongOkie405 View Post
These cities have very little in common in my opinion. OKC is the Southwest or South; Des Moines is the Midwest or the "North". People may kind of group Oklahoma and Iowa together because of Iowa State's membership in the old Big 8 and now the Big 12. But these states, outside of a strong agricultural background, have almost nothing else in common.

Weather wise, they're in two completely different climate zones. OKC is a Humid Subtropical climate while Des Moines is a Continental climate. Summers in OKC would be much more brutal. Temps above 100 degrees are common and the humidity, while not on Houston or New Orleans' level, is stifling. I'm guessing Des Moines actually has pretty nice Summer weather. But OKC would easily take the cake on winter weather. A typical winter day in OKC is about 45-50 degrees with sun. Very pleasant. Sure, we get cold blasts from the north with occasional snow and ice, but they're short lived and the weather always levels back out quickly. Shoot, it's not uncommon to have 70s or even 80s in January in OKC.

Just my two cents.
I lived in Des Moines for 4 years (2008-2012), and my cousin lived in Tulsa at the time. I thought the two had a ton in common when I would come visit him. I realize that isn't OKC, but the idea that Iowa and Oklahoma are worlds apart is kind of silly. Tulsa was much, much, much more similar to Des Moines than it is to Memphis or Nashville (southern cities I've visited recently).

Des Moines summers are typically in the 90's with 100's being somewhat common. Very humid. Winters in Des Moines, when I lived there, were really varied. You could see a 60 degree swing in January pretty regularly, and at least two of my winters there had very little snow or cold, while the other 2 had a lot. It definitely gets colder in Des Moines, and for longer, but probably not as long as you think. Also, OKC definitely has longer heat spells in the summer, but the extremes are pretty similar.

I think you're overrating the college sports connection in people's viewing the cities as similar. I think that only comes into play for folks who follow college sports. Then again, I've been to Stillwater for ISU/OK State games and thought it was a lot like Ames.

At the end of the day they're (OKC/DSM) both in the middle of the country, 7 hours apart on the same highway. They are both capital cities of Plains states whose economies feature a lot of ag and energy (oil in OK, wind in Iowa). The biggest differences between them lay in the Southern influence present in OKC, but from a distance these places will look more similar to many than different. Their similar longitude washes their dissimilar latitude on a lot of things.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 PM

58 posts, read 131,834 times
OKC for me. I actually plan on moving there in the next year or so. I checked out both cities actually and the people of OKC won me over. Also the lack of any heavy traffic impressed /spoiled the out of me. I just find OKC to be a breath of fresh air.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
I'm not surprised Des Moines has more than double the votes. The city is underrated in a lot of aspects.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I lived in Des Moines for 4 years (2008-2012), and my cousin lived in Tulsa at the time. I thought the two had a ton in common when I would come visit him. I realize that isn't OKC, but the idea that Iowa and Oklahoma are worlds apart is kind of silly. Tulsa was much, much, much more similar to Des Moines than it is to Memphis or Nashville (southern cities I've visited recently).

Des Moines summers are typically in the 90's with 100's being somewhat common. Very humid. Winters in Des Moines, when I lived there, were really varied. You could see a 60 degree swing in January pretty regularly, and at least two of my winters there had very little snow or cold, while the other 2 had a lot. It definitely gets colder in Des Moines, and for longer, but probably not as long as you think. Also, OKC definitely has longer heat spells in the summer, but the extremes are pretty similar.

I think you're overrating the college sports connection in people's viewing the cities as similar. I think that only comes into play for folks who follow college sports. Then again, I've been to Stillwater for ISU/OK State games and thought it was a lot like Ames.

At the end of the day they're (OKC/DSM) both in the middle of the country, 7 hours apart on the same highway. They are both capital cities of Plains states whose economies feature a lot of ag and energy (oil in OK, wind in Iowa). The biggest differences between them lay in the Southern influence present in OKC, but from a distance these places will look more similar to many than different. Their similar longitude washes their dissimilar latitude on a lot of things.
That's quite warm. On average Des Moines sees 22 days above 90 degrees per year. Most summer days are in the 80's.

To get into the 100's in Des Moines is rare, maybe once every two years. Usually they come a few at a time, maybe 4-5 years apart. I know I just saw an article that Des Moines hit 100 for the first time in six years (the article was a few years old).

Days at 100 Degrees:

2007: 0
2008: 0
2009: 0
2010: 0
2011: 0
2012: 11
2013: 2
2014: 0
2015: 0
2016: 0
2017: 1
2018: 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City