Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:15 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA wasn't as hot for as long as Atlanta's been hot. Atlanta has been on a 15 year run. Also, when LA was on top, NY was right beside it at the top. Today, everybody except NY is shinning, hell, it seems like you can't even be from NY if you want to be hot; you definitely can't have a NY sound. Atlanta dictates the "fads" now. The crown resides in Atlanta and the south.

If you're from NY and you want to be hot, you better sign with a southern label, or associate yourself with the south in some way, shape or form.
So name all the talent that’s keeping Atlanta on top? Why aren’t ATL artist the majority of the artist on the freshman XXL magazine cover?

“you can’t be from NYC if you want to be hot”
So explain why A boogie, Cardi B, Tekashi 69, ASAP MOB, Niki Minaj, French Montana are all hot?

And all major labels live in NYC!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Chicago
Miami
New Orleans
Cities like these shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion as each has its own local musical genre which takes precedence. I'd say the same for DC and Bmore also.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Cities like these shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion as each has its own local musical genre which takes precedence. I'd say the same for DC and Bmore also.
I’m actually more alarmed that he put Memphis, New Orleans and Toronto on the list.

Btw Miami has a great hip hop scene and is a city that is slept on a lot. One of my favorite underground rap locations.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You only focused on the music. He's talking about the elements of hip hop as a whole.
I'll give NYC graffiti.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Please name the number of rappers coming from Memphis, New Orleans, Toronto and Philly compared to my list of Ny artist and then I’ll take this joke of a list serious.

List means nothing if you can’t name the talent coming from those places.
We don't even have to do that. I can name artist from this cities that are bigger artist than anything NYC has, well, aside from New Orleans based Young Money artist Nicki Minaj, and yhe Girlfriend of Atlanta group Migos' Offset.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Explain your last sentence cause none of that has stopped Jeezy, TI, Lil Wayne and many more from jumping on a track with the likes of Nas, Jay Z and Diddy and French Montana. All New Yorkers

How about London on the track recording music for 50?

Seems like the hate NYC did on the south (not other regions like you claim) seem very well forgotten!
You mean London on the track sold a beat to 50 cent? 50 cent hasn't been relevent since, what, 06-07?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Except Tekashi sounds like a typical gangster from New York. There is nothing southern about him and he actually said his influence is Rondo number 9 who is a Chicago artist.Lol you seem mad that NYC has made its way back to hip hop lol. But then again I never understood why NYC winning (something it usually does) bothers you so much.

Plus you’re from Baltimore a city known for people blasting nothing but NY rap. LMFAO.

But the funniest part is you saying “nice try” to Murphy when he pretty much exposed the funny contradicting comment you said lol. I think he should be saying “nice try” to you. Lol
NYC influences NOTHING in Baltimore. Baltimore has been a region that has been BIG on southern music since the late 90s. Lil Boosie even said it on The Breakfast Club interview that Baltimore is one of his biggest markets.

Murphy didn't expose anything. He trying to sell to me that NYC is on its way back because, but the rapper that he referred to is copying the style, and lyrics of a southern artist...those fruit loops colored dreads and fronts must be a NYC thing tho....that mess looks ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
We don't even have to do that. I can name artist from this cities that are bigger artist than anything NYC has, well, aside from New Orleans based Young Money artist Nicki Minaj, and yhe Girlfriend of Atlanta group Migos' Offset.
Yes we do. I follow hip hop religiously and can name artist from all those regions you mentioned which is why I know you are just yapping with no evidence.

Ok cool so I guess you proved my point that NYC runs hip hop since Beyoncé is Married to Jay Z which is more dominant couple than Offset and Cardi B. Since you want to play those awkward games!

Plus the weird notion that Atlanta should get a reward because Cardi B and Offset are engaged just sounds sexist to me. I’m curious to why you keep mentioning this weird fact? And what relevance it has to this topic!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 02-28-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You mean London on the track sold a beat to 50 cent? 50 cent hasn't been relevent since, what, 06-07?
Um no he produced a beat for him. 50 is one of the biggest moguls in hip hop and every southern artist would be crawling on their feet to work with him.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:12 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I would think Memphis is better than either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City