Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

Average highs right around freezing (even slightly below in January), with lows in the low 20s/teens. Pretty cold if you ask me.
Have you ever worn a coat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Any place with an average high below freezing in January qualifies as a cold frigid wasteland in my book.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 PM

80 posts, read 96,771 times
Quote:
Any place with an average high below freezing in January qualifies as a cold frigid wasteland in my book.
Even if it can get up to the 90s in the summer? Don't confuse the Midwest with Antarctica.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
Chicago winters...on average they aren't even that bad and it's easier to stay warm than it is to cool down.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:08 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Quote:
Your book isn't reality.
30s isn't crippling. There's still festivities and social gatherings outside. Especially in sunny 30s.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 AM

76 posts, read 69,671 times
Quote:
Your book isn't reality.
30s isn't crippling. There's still festivities and social gatherings outside. Especially in sunny 30s.
Well, upper 90s isn't "crippling" either.

People are comparing and asking which is more tolerable?

I think in Chicago you will find more people outside on a day that hits the upper 90s versus a day that never makes it out of the 30s. That was true in SE Michigan at least.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Anywhere where you would need to wear a coat to be comfortable is too cold for me.

And actually, Dallas is too cold for my tastes as well.

My measure of if a place is too cold is if they have plentiful Washingtonia and CIDP palm trees or not.

And neither of these places has them

Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Anywhere where you would need to wear a coat to be comfortable is too cold for me.
I am just the opposite. I overheat very easily and prefer a place where I can layer my clothing to be comfortable. My wife is the same way, and neither of us are sun worshippers at all. A tropical vacation to us sounds like a nightmare.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I am just the opposite. I overheat very easily and prefer a place where I can layer my clothing to be comfortable. My wife is the same way, and neither of us are sun worshippers at all. A tropical vacation to us sounds like a nightmare.
I'm the exact same way, I absolutely HATE HATE HATE warm and hot weather. I was in Panama with my husband since he had business down there and was prepared for it...but the 90's the whole time really wore on me.

My hell on earth would be living in Phoenix or south Florida.

I can actually still love June through September in Chicago, because even though the average highs are 80 or above, there's a lot of variety and it's not crazy humidity. This week it's highs in the low to mid 70's, which is quite a bit below normal and a great reprieve from the mid 80's.

My favorite Chicago months are July and December. Christmastime around Chicago is absolutely awesome. So many parties and festivals and people out and about all over the city.

January and February are when people take a break and it slows down, which is much needed. Then by March and St. Patrick's day things start amping up again quickly.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Chicago and Dallas are both at the either end of the spectrum when it comes to weather. Dallas is known to have brutal and oppressive summers and Chicago is known for its harsh winters.

Which is more bearable and why? If you had to choose which would you prefer?

Dallas video forecast from August 5,2015

https://youtu.be/8b9qYbYHcuU

Chicago video forecast from December 16,2016

https://youtu.be/GWgOblSAfc0
The Dallas one didn't show a heat index and the Chicago one showed the wind chill so a kinda inaccurate comparison when trying to point out extremes. Also December isn't Chicago's coldest month and that particular day and week was abnormal for a December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City