Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 17 29.31%
South Carolina 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Myrtle Beach MSA is larger than Savannah’s and faster growing. Thanks for proving my point. Spartanburg is it’s own MSA.
Myrtle Beach 465,000 is almost 150,000 less than Augusta’s MSA. I think your proving my point, because you obviously believed Savannah is Georgia’s second largest MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Spartanburg's not a burb of Greenville. It is one of the largest metros in the state.
It’s apart of the Greenville CSA. And wasn’t it apart of the MSA a few years back?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
It’s apart of the Greenville CSA. And wasn’t it apart of the MSA a few years back?
It's a similar situation to the Dallas Metroplex. Fort Worth is part of it, but has it's own history, culture and identity. Same with Spartanburg.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacO803 View Post
I can maybe see that, but what is South Carolina’s answer to Birmingham?
There isn't one, and few other Southern states have one, either. Birmingham was founded specifically to accommodate the steel industry. Greenville's industrial history mirrors that of its Fall Line peers ie Augusta, Macon and Columbus in that they were more focused on textile manufacturing.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 AM

56 posts, read 55,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
There isn't one, and few other Southern states have one, either. Birmingham was founded specifically to accommodate the steel industry. Greenville's industrial history mirrors that of its Fall Line peers ie Augusta, Macon and Columbus in that they were more focused on textile manufacturing.
In my mind, Greenville is better peered with Huntsville and Atlanta as early railroad and steel industrial hubs. Columbus, Macon, Augusta are Fall line peers of Columbia and were known for textile mills and cotton. They’d be peers geographically as well, peidmont vs fall line, transitional cities.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Myrtle Beach 465,000 is almost 150,000 less than Augusta’s MSA. I think your proving my point, because you obviously believed Savannah is Georgia’s second largest MSA.
I grew up an hour from Augusta and lived in Savannah for a year. And Georgia’s second largest MSA is still smaller than Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston. So point proven. Thanks for the numbers. Hence, SC minus ATL offering more per poll results.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 AM

783 posts, read 695,595 times
I don't know how this is a serious competition. 3 major metros vs. Savannah? Augusta isn't serious competition to any of the others. I'm sure Savannah is great and my friends tell me such, but so is Charleston. You have the state capital and USC in Columbia and a pretty city at Greenville. Definitely SC.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I grew up an hour from Augusta and lived in Savannah for a year. And Georgia’s second largest MSA is still smaller than Columbia, Greenville, and Charleston. So point proven. Thanks for the numbers. Hence, SC minus ATL offering more per poll results.
True, but you're handicapping a state to create a "what if" scenario. NC, SC, TN and FL has better mid size cities than GA and offer more as well. It just shows how dominant Atlanta is to the state. Georgia goes where Atlanta goes.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
SC wins. But metro Atlanta offers more than most states, including SC, so its no surprise GA suffers without it

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Even without Atlanta metro still Georgia for me because Savannah > Charleston, the North GA Mountains > whatever mountains SC has, and Augusta, Macon, and Athens > Columbia, Greenville, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City