Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 17 29.31%
South Carolina 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No not just Emory,Ga Tech in Atlanta In Georgia :UGA, Mercer University,Covenant College also.
True for GA Tech, but we're talking about GA outside of metro Atlanta here. UGA and Clemson are basically on the same level (ranked #63 and #68 nationally, respectively). Mercer ranks #7 as a Southern regional university; The Citadel ranks #5 in the same category. Furman ranks higher than Covenant.

Quote:
I can telll you.Charlotte MSA reaches well into SC as well as Augusta also.But none in S.C. reach into another of its border states I dont think.
Charlotte's MSA doesn't "reach well into SC;" only one SC county is included. Aiken and Edgefield counties are included in the Augusta MSA, but in that case, it's more of an example of cross-commuting as some of the largest employment centers in the Augusta MSA are on the SC side of the metro, like Savannah River Site and Bridgestone. However, I still don't know what Newsboy meant by his statement since only one SC county is in a NC MSA; I'll let him answer for himself on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corderis View Post
Plus Georgia has way more beach areas.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
If you want to take out Atlanta then its not quite right to use MSA.Not to mention cities like Gainesville arfe in the CSA but not MSA of Atlanta
If you take Georgia cities,all of them are larger
I see what you're saying -

however

South Carolina has conservative annexation rules that restrict city limits. SC comparing "city limits" populations against other states will typically be an apples-to-oranges comparison. You'd get the opposite effect by comparing counties -- Georgia, for whatever reason, has a ton of really small counties.

I don't see what it matters anyway, it's not like a bigger city (or MSA or CSA) means a better one. Georgia's best city is Athens IMO, followed by Savannah.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM

46 posts, read 99,015 times
Voted South Carolina because of Charleston, TONS of attractive people.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ...

Georgia has better roads. Georgia has better schools (k-12 and university level). Georgia has less volatile state and local poltics.

South Carolina plays second-fiddle to North Carolina. Georgia stands completely on its own.

Georgia stands on its own alright. Nobody else wants it. South Carolina is much better.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
We already know ATL is a beast. I admit it. But there have been plenty of other VS. threads taking out largest cities (NYC etc).......

Yes, SC metro's are LARGER than GAs......

Are you saying we should STOP comparing Atlanta's MSA to Chicago's/Miami's/Houston's and just do city limits.

It is FAIR to compare metros because the city limit population is flawed......ALL of South Carolina's big three metro's are larger than Georgia's without Atlanta.....So SC cities/MSAs stack up pretty well to GA IMO

Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Oh and congrats to SC for kicking the poodles behinds

Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM

How you gonna tell me Georgia's next largest city "Augusta" is stronger than Columbia, Charleston, or Greenville?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What exactly is inaccurate? And I thought earlier, you implied that it wasn't accurate to use MSA's but rather city populations?

Because what can explain why the economic impact(toursim) more money for Charleston when it has way less visitors than SAV?It makes no sense.So somewhere there is some wrong info within the 2 state tourism numbers.

In terms of economic impact, it really doesn't look like GA comes close to be honest.
I still say its debatable.I was looking for the numbers for The Golden Isle but have not found them yet

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Because what can explain why the economic impact(toursim) more money for Charleston when it has way less visitors than SAV?It makes no sense.So somewhere there is some wrong info within the 2 state tourism numbers.
So since you don't understand it, you question the legitimacy of the statistics. You're grasping here man.

Furthermore, it makes plenty of sense when you understand how differently Charleston and Savannah operate. First of all, Charleston is a much more business-oriented city, so it will naturally have more business travelers and they tend to spend more on average than leisure travelers. Charleston also has a much busier airport which contributes to higher tourism revenue, and it has more shopping and cultural amenities that generate greater revenues as well. This isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but although St. Patrick's Day in Savannah draws several times more tourists than Spoleto in Charleston, the latter draws in more well-heeled visitors that are likely to spend more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City