Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:20 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
wanna be Dallas
1. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2. Waco, Texas
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Fort Worth, Texas
Why in the hell would San Antonio want to be like Dallas? Explain that one for me.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM

57 posts, read 185,103 times
calm down Mr. Santo.

it was just an oppinion. nothing to argue about

Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
Default are you kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy924 View Post
wanna be New York City's
1. Boston
No.

Absolutely NO.

The fact that Boston is the one city you listed where you didn't bother putting the state proves it is it's own city.

But more importantly, no matter what, Boston does NOT try to be like New York. It goes overwhelmingly out of it's way to be unlike NYC- so yes, Boston is certainly concerned with NYC a little too much but it is DEFINITELY NOT a wanna be New York City. At all.

Hell, the only reason NYC is what is now is because it was a wanna be Boston 300 years ago. (Yeah, like I said, Boston definitely pays a loooot of attention to New York. But no. not a wannabe. far from it)

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM

936 posts, read 3,191,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
No.

Absolutely NO.

The fact that Boston is the one city you listed where you didn't bother putting the state proves it is it's own city.

But more importantly, no matter what, Boston does NOT try to be like New York. It goes overwhelmingly out of it's way to be unlike NYC- so yes, Boston is certainly concerned with NYC a little too much but it is DEFINITELY NOT a wanna be New York City. At all.

Hell, the only reason NYC is what is now is because it was a wanna be Boston 300 years ago. (Yeah, like I said, Boston definitely pays a loooot of attention to New York. But no. not a wannabe. far from it)
Actually, Boston does seem to be jealous of nyc in so many blatant ways that I have to agree that Boston wishes they were NYC in many aspects.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 185,103 times
thanks southcali, excatly why i said that

Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM

by the way, how is san diego trying to be LA? San diego has neither the density, sprawl, mass slum area, entertainment value, politics, or fast paceness of LA. Just cuz the two are next to each other means nothing other then having similar weather and geographic topography, and sharing similar cultural ties, in this case, Mexicans, which is much more influeced in LA

Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Actually, Boston does seem to be jealous of nyc in so many blatant ways that I have to agree that Boston wishes they were NYC in many aspects.
I see what you guys are saying, but no.
Jealous isn't the right word. Overly-consumed with NYC, Even obsessed maybe, but I can assure you most people in Boston are completely convinced Boston is the greatest place on earth and there is nothing about New York City we would like to emulate.

....except WS championships of course.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times
Quote:
calm down Mr. Santo.

it was just an oppinion. nothing to argue about
But can you try to explain why you think that way. I actually want to hear.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I see what you guys are saying, but no.
Jealous isn't the right word. Overly-consumed with NYC, Even obsessed maybe, but I can assure you most people in Boston are completely convinced Boston is the greatest place on earth and there is nothing about New York City we would like to emulate.

....except WS championships of course.
rabbit, I feel u! I have to correct people about San diego not being a little LA even if I see where they're coming from.

Haha, no problem tallguy

Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I've spent some time in Cincinnati and visited the Pittsburgh area quite a bit. I also know people in each of these areas. I don't get the impression that either city wants to be like the other. Topographically speaking they have similar terrain and architecture but Pittsburgh is still several hundred thousand people larger and strikes me as being a Northeastern city. Cincinnati is more a mix of Midwestern, South and Northeastern influences and seems content to march to the beat of its own drum. Certainly I don't hear the media in either location displaying much of an attitude towards the other metro area except perhaps when it comes to their respective sports rivalries. If anything Pittsburgh lives in the shadow of Philly and is often times compared by instate people with its larger cousin on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City