Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
thus "the bubble"....
how so.

we are different socially. we live in a city with (supposedly) 8 million ppl. what other city in the country has that many ppl living in such a small area?

our public transportation is the best in the city and one of the best in the world. what other city relies on public transportation like we do??

our city is the most diverse city in the country. what other city is as diverse as nyc?

etc. etc.

these things make up who we are. its bigger than walking faster than a person from a rural area or whatever. we are different IMO than ppl from philly, boston, whatever. its not a bigger city little city thing.

the cultures here and a lot of other stuff make us who we are.

thats not a bubble thing. look how we vote. look what we accept and don't accept. look at how we think in comparison to you. look at how we carry ourselves, what we wear, etc. etc.

the majority of america is nothing like nyc. at all. the majority of america is more of like what you find in areas of the south or the midwest.

this isn't a knock but its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
People living in an urban environment and using public transit isn't unique to NYC. The main difference is the extent of it. That's is what I was saying; what you find NYC can be found elsewhere in some form. It's just NYC does tend to do it bigger and in many cases better than elsewhere.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
how so.

we are different socially. we live in a city with (supposedly) 8 million ppl. what other city in the country has that many ppl living in such a small area?

our public transportation is the best in the city and one of the best in the world. what other city relies on public transportation like we do??

our city is the most diverse city in the country. what other city is as diverse as nyc?

etc. etc.

these things make up who we are. its bigger than walking faster than a person from a rural area or whatever. we are different IMO than ppl from philly, boston, whatever. its not a bigger city little city thing.

the cultures here and a lot of other stuff make us who we are.

thats not a bubble thing. look how we vote. look what we accept and don't accept. look at how we think in comparison to you. look at how we carry ourselves, what we wear, etc. etc.

the majority of america is nothing like nyc. at all. the majority of america is more of like what you find in areas of the south or the midwest.

this isn't a knock but its true.
what about how you vote? houston is the largest city ever to appoint an openly gay person as mayor. does that make houston a more progressive city than new york? no.

you are nothing short of delusional, and i thank god the new yorkers i know aren't as lame as you

Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Didn't know that 1 person can speak for 8,000,000, much less 300,000,000.
But hey, it is what it is.

Bon temps rouler!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
People living in an urban environment and using public transit isn't unique to NYC. The main difference is the extent of it. That's is what I was saying; what you find NYC can be found elsewhere in some form. It's just NYC does tend to do it bigger and in many cases better than elsewhere.
its bigger than that tho.

there are a few large cities in the u.s.

i get it. ny is different than any of these cities, tho. period. its another animal. doesn't matter if you have 4 train lines in your city or whatever. ours wraps around the planet like 6 times. this means that you can go anywhere anytime because our lines are 24 hours. don't you think that effects life here differently than a place like sf, chicago, etc.?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Bon temps rouler!
for real. especially when many NYers i've met were surprisingly very down to earth and similar to myself. not like the eeks and the rachael84/tanaples of the world

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Bon temps rouler!
you seem to be speaking for the whole n.o. tho.

carry on, whoadie.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
its bigger than that tho.

there are a few large cities in the u.s.

i get it. ny is different than any of these cities, tho. period. its another animal. doesn't matter if you have 4 train lines in your city or whatever. ours wraps around the planet like 6 times. this means that you can go anywhere anytime because our lines are 24 hours. don't you think that effects life here differently than a place like sf, chicago, etc.?
it affects what a person can do and what ammenities they have in their reach, not necessarily who they are as a person

Old 08-22-2010, 01:32 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
what about how you vote? houston is the largest city ever to appoint an openly gay person as mayor. does that make houston a more progressive city than new york? no.

you are nothing short of delusional, and i thank god the new yorkers i know aren't as lame as you
i was under the impression that houston was located in a red state.

the same state that helped send bush into office? the same state that wanted mccain/palin in this time around??

sure is progressive.

anyway, the name calling is juvenile.

the nyers you know must be unintelligent to chill with a person that doesn't consider hawaii a state.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Quote:
you seem to be speaking for the whole n.o. tho.

carry on, whoadie.
Don't think I did that...
but Whoadie??? GTF, no seriously i'm JTFO.
It is not 1997, and hardly anybody said it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City