Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i've already done that and it wasn't good enough for the ppl in here.

i know you aren't them, but yeah. just saying.

ny isn't good enough for the ppl on CD, to be honest. nothing will convince ppl who are hellbent on not liking ny that ny is a great, unique city.
for the record, i've never once stated (and i don't think many others have either) that new york was anything but a great and unique city. i just don't see it as the most unique city

you guys need to accept that everyone does not view NYC as the end all and be all of everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 PM

i just think that people on these forums want to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to their cities. it's not enough that we tell you that your city is great/cool/beautiful/etc, but you want us to agree with EVERY SINGLE THING YOU have to say about your town

this goes for new yorkers, houstonians, atlantans, miamians, etc....all of them annoy the hell out of me with this

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
i've already done that and it wasn't good enough for the ppl in here.

i know you aren't them, but yeah. just saying.

ny isn't good enough for the ppl on CD, to be honest. nothing will convince ppl who are hellbent on not liking ny that ny is a great, unique city. no amount of visual evidence is good enough for these ppl.
I love New York City man, and I'd never be jealous of the place I plan on going to Law School in. (Columbia)

And yeah, this site has whack people for every city, and New York City does get a lot of heat on this site as well as some of the other cities. I was just a bit like "wow you don't know me, but you want to say I am jealous, because I corrected you" I was just a bit frustrated with that particular poster. And my bad, I didn't read any of the posts besides his haha too long of a thread.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
All you got is murder rate. That's all you can come up with, huh? Yeah, we have a problem, but it's not wide spread. You say one neighborhood isn't enough, yet you came in giving examples of one neighborhood. Many of the neighborhoods in New Orleans can compete with entire cities in terms of charm and atmosphere. Just because you may feel like you have a reason to be mad at the world does not mean that you have to take it out on us and seriously stop trying to make "your" opinion seem like "people's" opinion. Until you visit the majority of this city you can't speak for anything about it other than what you know. So if you want to say that one of the neighborhoods surrounding the Quarter is a cesspool then go for it, but don't sit here and say that New Orleans is a cesspool.
There is not one neighborhood in "N'awlins" that can top the #1 neighborhoods in DC, Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, Miami, LA or SF. New Orleans neighborhoods are exactly what you would expect in a small, high crime, economically depressed southern city. Also, the only thing New Orleans has which people consider "unique" is the French Quarter, which wreaks of urine and feces from horses and people.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28582568/

Last edited by bchris02; 08-22-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,144 times
just speaking for myself, its not that i don't accept or can't accept ppl not liking ny in various topics. thats fine.

its when we go out of our way to provide videos, photos, audio, personal testimony of our city and ppl here on CD discredit it like its lies, trash, not good enough, etc.

show them jackson heights. oh. big deal. any city has a bunch of east indians in droves and mexicans and central americans in droves w/mariachi bands on trains serenading strap hangers. show them flushing. wow, who cares about falun gong, triads, etc. in america? who cares about the mets.

show them astoria. who cares about the greeks, arabs, etc.

show them east harlem. big deal. every city has 850k puerto ricans running the area.

show them manhattan. big deal. every place has a un headquarters, wall st, financial district, meat packing district, a grid system with streets/aves, extensive public transportation, all kinds of world class museums, large parks, the largest chiantown on the east coast, more dominicans than the capital of dr, headquarters to tons of businesses, etc.

show them our public transportation system. big deal, every place has a few trains and some buses.

tell them that queens alone is the most culturally diverse country and borough in the nation and one of the most diverse areas in the world. oh wow. who cares?

talk to them about various parades, various ethnicities represented here, how they effect our daily life, etc. so what.

wow who cares. dudes in nawlins doing the stanky leg with thriller zombies!!

at this point the opposing team's goalposts have scored a touchdown and are in the stands. how much more will they be moved??

Old 08-22-2010, 10:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Some people just don't think having a large mix of different cultures found elsewhere is as unique as a city that has it's own culture found nowhere else. It's really a simple concept to understand that you just refuse to accept. You just continue to repeat the same thing over and over as if everyone will finally agree with you, just get over it. Some people do think NYC is the most unique, but more think NOLA is. Is that a crime?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
just speaking for myself, its not that i don't accept or can't accept ppl not liking ny in various topics. thats fine.

its when we go out of our way to provide videos, photos, audio, personal testimony of our city and ppl here on CD discredit it like its lies, trash, not good enough, etc.

show them jackson heights. oh. big deal. any city has a bunch of east indians in droves and mexicans and central americans in droves w/mariachi bands on trains serenading strap hangers. show them flushing. wow, who cares about falun gong, triads, etc. in america? who cares about the mets.

show them astoria. who cares about the greeks, arabs, etc.

show them east harlem. big deal. every city has 850k puerto ricans running the area.

show them manhattan. big deal. every place has a un headquarters, wall st, financial district, meat packing district, a grid system with streets/aves, extensive public transportation, all kinds of world class museums, large parks, the largest chiantown on the east coast, more dominicans than the capital of dr, headquarters to tons of businesses, etc.

show them our public transportation system. big deal, every place has a few trains and some buses.

tell them that queens alone is the most culturally diverse country and borough in the nation and one of the most diverse areas in the world. oh wow. who cares?

talk to them about various parades, various ethnicities represented here, how they effect our daily life, etc. so what.

wow who cares. dudes in nawlins doing the stanky leg with thriller zombies!!

at this point the opposing team's goalposts have scored a touchdown and are in the stands. how much more will they be moved??
.....oh nevermind....

Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some people just don't think having a large mix of different cultures found elsewhere is as unique as a city that has it's own culture found nowhere else. It's really a simple concept to understand that you just refuse to accept. You just continue to repeat the same thing over and over as if everyone will finally agree with you, just get over it. Some people do think NYC is the most unique, but more think NOLA is. Is that a crime?
there's only one way he'll be satisfied, and that's if we say that new york is the most unique city in the universe. f--- jupiter!!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is not one neighborhood in "N'awlins" that can top the #1 neighborhoods in DC, Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, Miami, LA or SF. New Orleans neighborhoods are exactly what you would expect in a small, high crime, economically depressed southern city. Also, the only thing New Orleans has which people consider "unique" is the French Quarter, which wreaks of urine and feces from horses and people.

Low on cash, French Quarter may stink again - Travel - News - msnbc.com
1. Never say N'awlins again. Nobody says that but confused tourists who think it's cool.
2. Did I say that neighborhoods can compete with all cities or did I say that they can compete with cities? Go read that again.
3. The Quarter smell has been gone (which was left by tourists and not New Orleanians) for years now.
4. To post this after 8 pages proving the opposite just makes you look bigger of an ass.
5. The average New Orleans neighborhood looks nothing like you would expect in an economically depressed southern city. Hell, don't look like anything you'd find in the average southern city period.
6. Your ignorance of New Orleans is becoming more and more obvious and done with it.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Clearly, "unique" does not equal best.

Why are people getting upset?

"Unique" = ridiculous/useless moniker usually reserved for irrelevant tourist trap dumps.
So that'd mean NYC isn't unique? Because NYC isn't known as a tourist trap. Which is actually a good thing I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City