Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Why does a NYer have to be in a bubble? What if I wanted to be in a pyramid or a box? But idk why NYers are always singled out.

On topic: Pretty much every city on that list is very unique. But Washington D.C. & New Orleans stick out the most because I can't think of cities remotely similar to them (although D.C. & ATL have a similar vibe to me).
NYers are always singled out because NYC is the most unique city in the US. So we will have a lot of people that envies NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 PM

47 posts, read 199,896 times
New Orleans, or Las Vegas to this because there is so much there then the rest of the world.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYers are always singled out because NYC is the most unique city in the US. So we will have a lot of people that envies NYC.
Guess again. Replace envy with calling out obnoxious arrogance, and you might be on to something. Of course, Infamous92 is never considered a part of this group, imo.

The poll pretty much speaks for itself.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Guess again. Replace envy with calling out obnoxious arrogance, and you might be on to something. Of course, Infamous92 is never considered a part of this group, imo.

The poll pretty much speaks for itself.
This poll does not count, people are not going to say NYC because they do not want to say the truth.

Take a look at this article.

Why People Still Want to Move to New York in Tough Times -- New York Magazine

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 260,107 times
I voted New Orleans pre and post katrina. Been plenty of times pre katrina was a lot better of a city, but i think after post katrina it has become more unique. If u have been and know how it look after katrina then u know what I mean. The people of new orleans and southern louisiana period hold the most pride for there state and cities. You can also tell the different between some body from the northern half of the state compared to the southern half of the state. Any ways new orleans most unique American city.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,372,162 times
Quote:
This poll does not count, people are not going to say NYC because they do not want to say the truth.

Take a look at this article.

Why People Still Want to Move to New York in Tough Times -- New York Magazine
And this has what to do with being the most unique city in the U.S.?

Funny how the polls DO count when they swing your way.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And this has what to do with being the most unique city in the U.S.?

Funny how the polls DO count when they swing your way.
Not precisely. This is why NYC is the most unique city.

News Headlines

Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Not precisely. This is why NYC is the most unique city.

News Headlines
Dude how does that article you posted even prove how unique New York City is?

Here is an excerpt from it:
Quote:
New York City beat London by a whisker to become the best city in the world according to a panel of Time Out judges, who voted on the cities considering criteria such as architecture, arts, food and drink, the city's buzz and quality of life.
You only proved that its the best city, not a unique one.

Unique cities are like Amsterdam, Venice, Vatican City, Singapore, & Rio De Janiero.

The best cities are like London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Sydney, etc...
All you're doing is proving how powerful and cosmopolitan like your city is, not how unique it is.

I don't think the United States has a unique city outside of Honolulu, in my opinion. Miami is next up in line, also again in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

I don't think the United States has a unique city outside of Honolulu, in my opinion. Miami is next up in line, also again in my opinion.
I am going to have to gently disagee with you Awesome. If the USA only had Honolulu and Miami as unique cities, we would not have millions of visitors coming in to visit the USA every year.

Think about it. The fact that a city is a major tourist destination is usually a sign that it offers something fairly unique. People do not travel long distances across the continent or fly across the ocean --- to visit more of the same!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM

428 posts, read 832,311 times
Easily New Orleans, with Charleston following close behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City