Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am going to have to gently disagee with you Awesome. If the USA only had Honolulu and Miami as unique cities, we would not have millions of visitors coming in to visit the USA every year.

Think about it. The fact that a city is a major tourist destination is usually a sign that it offers something fairly unique. People do not travel long distances across the continent or fly across the ocean --- to visit more of the same!
Thank you. I just think people are jealous of NY so they do not acknowledge it. But deep down they know NY is the most unique city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
NOLA, easily.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Thank you. I just think people are jealous of NY so they do not acknowledge it. But deep down they know NY is the most unique city.
What? Why would I be jealous of New York City, I love Manhattan & Brooklyn very much. And I do not appreciate a comment like that especially since you do not even know who I am and what I think about other places.

I'm just saying using such ireelevant like articles to prove your point man. If you want to prove how unique New York City is, do it the right way, thats all I'm saying.
Show me stuff like Chinatown, Jackson Heights, architecture resembling countries that they have enclaves for, cultural food and things like that and we can say you've done a good job. Show things no other city has. Don't just post an article that does not in any single way shape or form address the criteria.

But all you did do was show an article saying "New York City has surpassed London as the best city in the world". How is that in any single way out there saying "New York City is the most unique city in America"? It just proves its the best.

Like seriously dude, I have seen your posts the past and its cool, you really love home and thats perfectly fine but you cant go into threads saying only New York City for everything without proving it in actuality, and throwing these pointless articles in there to make your case.

And then your response is, "I think you are jealous of New York City" just because I pointed out how your article doesn't work out, which it doesn't even an middle schooler can tell you that. LINative told me there are more unique cities in the USA besides Honolulu & Miami, does that mean he is jealous of those cities? Absolutely not.

And I also apologize for this post, but come on man, if you're going to say that me correcting you on your flawed link to prove a point is "jealousy" when you don't even know me then at least expect a response back. But once again, I do apologize for this post.

Come on man, step it up and do it the right way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am going to have to gently disagee with you Awesome. If the USA only had Honolulu and Miami as unique cities, we would not have millions of visitors coming in to visit the USA every year.

Think about it. The fact that a city is a major tourist destination is usually a sign that it offers something fairly unique. People do not travel long distances across the continent or fly across the ocean --- to visit more of the same!
Haha you're right, I was thinking from a cultural point of view in which I saw Honolulu as a setting where Asians pick culturally and native Hawaiians and how distinct their culture is from the rest of the world, as they specialize in regional culture. Same thing for Miami and it being the capital of Latin America and its culture.

I forgot to even factor architecture, food, media, and other tourist accommodations like possibly a boardwalk, pier, beaches, art institutes, and museums.

Now that I think about it there are so many cities out there that shine in so many things. You're right, its like the architecture of Washington DC is impossible to come by in every other city its simply something Washington DC excels at.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Straight-up BS.
I went to New Orleans pre-Katrina, and while the French Quarter is attractive, outside of that its probably the dirtiest, crime ridden, most disgusting city I've seen in my life. And the thing is, you only have to venture a few blocks out of the French Quarter to see the "real" New Orleans that people actually live in. On top of all that, it has the UNIQUE honor of being among the top 5 murder capitals of the world. Not just the United States, but the entire globe.

The top 5 murder capitals of the world | Gadling.com

How is that not a cesspool?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 PM

244 posts, read 568,435 times
Clearly, "unique" does not equal best.

Why are people getting upset?

"Unique" = ridiculous/useless moniker usually reserved for irrelevant tourist trap dumps.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Probably a toss-up out of New Orleans, Miami and NYC. The first two because they're enclaves of French/Latino culture, and the last because NYC is just plain unique in the world. To me it's the only city that feels like a world unto itself.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I went to New Orleans pre-Katrina, and while the French Quarter is attractive, outside of that its probably the dirtiest, crime ridden, most disgusting city I've seen in my life. And the thing is, you only have to venture a few blocks out of the French Quarter to see the "real" New Orleans that people actually live in. On top of all that, it has the UNIQUE honor of being among the top 5 murder capitals of the world. Not just the United States, but the entire globe.

How is that not a cesspool?
Bull****
a few blocks outside of the Quarter is not the entire city.
New Orleans has it's rough spots just like any other city, some may even represent 3rd world countries; but in no way do they represent the entire city.
...and for the record The Quarter is definitely not the most beautiful part of this city.

You don't have to like the N.O., but let's not be ignorant here.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-22-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Anyone who says NOLA is a dump outside the French Quarter automatically loses all credibility right there. Uptown and the Garden District has to be one the nicest, architecturally interesting places in America. The city has a ton of character and a true soul, more so than most cities.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYers are always singled out because NYC is the most unique city in the US. So we will have a lot of people that envies NYC.
...clearly not for their education system. say what you want about texas, but atleast they taught us about subject and verb agreement

Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyone who says NOLA is a dump outside the French Quarter automatically loses all credibility right there. Uptown and the Garden District has to be one the nicest, architecturally interesting places in America. The city has a ton of character and a true soul, more so than most cities.
This is your OPINION. My opinion is different than yours. Everyone can have their own opinion on either side about New Orleans. But, bottom line the extreme crime rate cant be ignored.

The top 5 murder capitals of the world | Gadling.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City