Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
whats funny is that its not about ppl on CD feeling another city is more unique (which is fine) but its about ppl taking down ny, as usual, using different criteria to judge uniqueness when it comes to ny.

i call bs on that but you call it throwing a hissy fit. you're entitled to your opinion.

i've already posted the definition of unique:

which is weird because ny fits this but just not on CD.

now that the definition of unique has been posted twice, do the ppl who claim that i or others from ny don't know what unique means understand the definition of unique? do you not see from the definition alone how ny is pretty much the epitome of the definition? is it not remarkable? special? unusual in the sense that there is no other area in the country like it? so then how is it far-fetched for someone to bring up ny as the most unique city in america??

what equal does ny have in this country? ny is 1 of 1 and commonly put into its own category for a reason. those reasons aren't good enough for CD tho, as usual.
eek you answered your own argument. In one argument: Why is the rules changes when it come to NY. The next argument: You have to put NY in its own category. NY is like the bi-polar bully that nobody wants to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,144 times
its commonly put into its own category because of its uniqueness.

in this particular thread, none of the things that make nyc unique seem to count (thereby making ny a city that is not unique...because ___ city has ___ thing that ny has) but they count for other cities...

i'm not following what you're trying to say...

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
NYC is on a scale of its own, but culturally it is not totally unique, NOLA would be far more unique. NYC is awesome but not unique in anything but scale. many cities are similar just lacking in scale or in at least as much as to say say that NOLA is more unique in culture that is different from all others. That isnt bad, NY posters seem to fail to see the light outside the window at times. I grew up a little more than hour from NYC and outside of it being huge and being the most important I fail to see how it it is so unque that is would be the most unique in the US on any measure outside of scale and importance. NOLA is like world onto itself in many ways. NYC never seemed like I really left where I am from, it was just on steroids in the relative sense. But NY does not seem like I left to a new land like NOLA does, actually I always felt like it was what used to, just more of it.

That being said it may not be the most unique but it surely is the greatest city

Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,851,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC is on a scale of its own, but culturally it is not totally unique, NOLA would be far more unique. NYC is awesome but not unique in anything but scale.
which is pretty much all i'm trying to say. because here's the real question: if new york city was the size of new orleans, would it still be more unique (without all the characteristics of a mega city)?

NO could be a small town of only about 40,000 people and it would still be more unique

Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,521,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
which is pretty much all i'm trying to say. because here's the real question: if new york city was the size of new orleans, would it still be more unique (without all the characteristics of a mega city)?

NO could be a small town of only about 40,000 people and it would still be more unique
Alright, but why does local culture alone define uniqueness? If NY was a smaller city isn't the question, because NY is what it is, that's it, work with that. All those characteristics of a mega city that no other city in America can match, that belongs to NY as it's own characteristic, and it counts too. Taking that away is like taking the government away from DC to make a comparison with another city, it's part of the city, you can't just take it away and say "if", that's not the reality of it.

Anyway, culture isn't all, like one thing I think makes NO unique is that it's one of the few large American cities so ravaged by a natural disaster like that.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Alright, but why does local culture alone define uniqueness? If NY was a smaller city isn't the question, because NY is what it is, that's it, work with that. All those characteristics of a mega city that no other city in America can match, that belongs to NY as it's own characteristic, and it counts too. Taking that away is like taking the government away from DC to make a comparison with another city, it's part of the city, you can't just take it away and say "if", that's not the reality of it.

Anyway, culture isn't all, like one thing I think makes NO unique is that it's one of the few large American cities so ravaged by a natural disaster like that.
Nobody is taking anything away from New York.
If anything people are trying to argue that having a lot of something that can be found somewhere else is as unique as as having something that can't be found anywhere.

New York is unique in the sense that it has the most of everything in one place, but almost everything that it has can be found somewhere else to a lesser extent. That defeats the definition of unique right there.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,521,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Nobody is taking anything away from New York.
If anything people are trying to argue that having a lot of something that can be found somewhere else is as unique as as having something that can't be found anywhere.

New York is unique in the sense that it has the most of everything in one place, but almost everything that it has can be found somewhere else to a lesser extent. That defeats the definition of unique right there.
Well, I never said that was all that made NY unique, but if it has more than anywhere else, how is that not a unique characteristic? It has no equal in that regard, that's unique.

"...can be found somewhere else to a lesser extent." That's true for pretty much every city named then. Take the subway, other cities have similar mass transit, but nowhere near as extensive, used, or important to the city, that's what it makes it unique, but it doesn't count cause other places have similar systems. Miami's beachfront, LA and a hundred other cities have one too, LA's mountains, Seattle has em too, guess that doesn't count as unique for either city. Keep taking every thing every city has that another city has to some extent, well geez, what's left for anybody. NO's Cajun culture is shared by all of Acadiana, guess that one doesn't count for the city then, it's shared among other places, other states too.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Well, I never said that was all that made NY unique, but if it has more than anywhere else, how is that not a unique characteristic? It has no equal in that regard, that's unique.
I didn't say you did, I was just saying....

Quote:
"...can be found somewhere else to a lesser extent." That's true for pretty much every city named then. Take the subway, other cities have similar mass transit, but nowhere near as extensive, used, or important to the city, that's what it makes it unique, but it doesn't count cause other places have similar systems. Miami's beachfront, LA and a hundred other cities have one too, LA's mountains, Seattle has em too, guess that doesn't count as unique for either city. Keep taking every thing every city has that another city has to some extent, well geez, what's left for anybody.
Exactly. How is it unique if it's not specific to that area. If I can go somewhere else and see it then it wouldn't be all that unique would it? The only way it would be is if I concentrated on a specific aspect of it and then no city on this planet would be any more unique than the next. There are many cities in this country that have many similarities between each other all the way around and there are a handful that don't.

Quote:
NO's Cajun culture is shared by all of Acadiana, guess that one doesn't count for the city then, it's shared among other places, other states too.
New Orleans has never had Cajun culture, it has never been a Cajun city, and there is not a thing authentically Cajun about it. Cajuns are in Southwest Louisiana. New Orleans is a Creole city in Southeast Louisiana.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Quote:

NY is NOT the only mega city in the US.. LA is also. So NY is not unique in that aspect.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC is on a scale of its own, but culturally it is not totally unique, NOLA would be far more unique. NYC is awesome but not unique in anything but scale. many cities are similar just lacking in scale or in at least as much as to say say that NOLA is more unique in culture that is different from all others. That isnt bad, NY posters seem to fail to see the light outside the window at times. I grew up a little more than hour from NYC and outside of it being huge and being the most important I fail to see how it it is so unque that is would be the most unique in the US on any measure outside of scale and importance. NOLA is like world onto itself in many ways. NYC never seemed like I really left where I am from, it was just on steroids in the relative sense. But NY does not seem like I left to a new land like NOLA does, actually I always felt like it was what used to, just more of it.

That being said it may not be the most unique but it surely is the greatest city
You hit the nail on the head with this post. This is basically what everyone was trying to say. With NY it's the SCALE of things. It's diversity, it's importance, it's kinda like you said "A big city on steroids".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City