Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,745,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Okay wait, I think I get what you've been trying to say in this thread now. If someone can say New York City's subways aren't unique because other cities have subways too then why are people saying the culture of New Orleans or Miami are unique because there are other cities despite being to a lesser extent have it too. Right? I get it now, you're trying to say that people see New York City with a double standard and are quick to cut it down but give other places props as if its the only place that has what they claim it does, am I right?

this is yours.

(although each of these places, cultures and yes the trains in nyc are unique for various reasons, but yes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,745,931 times
if these types of arguments can be used against ny then they can be (and should be) used against any city on the list, period. so IMHO then that means we need to kill these weak arguments against ny and work on providing info thats going to make ppl see why *insert city here* is more unique than *insert city here* and we would do that by posting info (maybe personal testimony if possible), pics and vids.

its like 14 against 1, so i don't expect to "win" but instead of 12 and a half ppl trying to bring down ny and 1 person posting info, vids, pics on why ny is unique, why not have ppl who disagree post info, vids and pics on cities that they think are more unique??

just like i put my effort into providing info on ny, some of you can put your effort into your own cities instead of essentially ****ting on my reasons that ny is unique. you don't see me talking about why new orleans, miami, dc, chicago, etc. aren't unique and i won't because i think they are unique...i just don't think that they're the most unique and i give my reasons why i think another city is more unique.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,080,009 times
I wasn't trying to tear down New York City. I was taking the definition of Unique and applying it.

u·nique   [yoo-neek] Show IPA
–adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.

Basically that definition is the one I've had set when I was debating.

The clear cut non replications have been Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Times Square, etc..

But yeah theres some double standard on this thread. Personally my choice was Honolulu because the city can't be replicated in the sense that no other large American city in the 50 states can say they are surrounded by water on all four sides, have a Volcano, beaches, and stuff all in one. Which makes it unique.

But I can see a case for Los Angeles where a person on a winter day can go both skiing and to the beach on the same day in the same city.

I can see the case for New York City, that it has architecture that no other place in the world has.

I can see it for other places. I was just trying to get rid of the things that other places do have, albeit a mediocre version of it because it would not exactly seem "unique" as per that definition to that term.

I guess the rules do go both ways though, because I was saying New York City's subway system wasn't unique but I also failed to address to posters saying that New Orleans has the only Creole culture in America making it the most unique. Doesn't Miami have that too?

Anyways, as per the definition its just something thats opinionated, but yeah I get where eek is coming from finally, its not that he's saying New York City is the most unique place in the country, but he's trying to show why its a unique place and people are shooting it down, but using double standard for places like Miami, New Orleans, Honolulu all of which are unique in their own way, but failing to understand what makes New York City unique.

In general though, in defense to my argument, I was solely going off the definition number 1 for the term Unique which is why I was alienating the subway argument as other cities have it. But thats just my perception of the definition, others on here are playing different rules and games.

I guess this thread will probably get messy because people can either follow a definition or show forth examples of uniqueness, there really isn't a way to win this thread.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,638,747 times
Everything threads turns into a debate about NYC.. Christ, this forum is turning so repetitive and annoying.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,984,305 times
I hate to rain on NYC's parade, but Miami is the only city built off of Cocaine money. And Opa-Locka Florida(in Northwest Miami-Dade County) has the highest concentration of Moorish Revival Architecture in the Western Hemisphere(Architecture created by Europeans and Westerners alike to mimic and or imitate the architecture of the Middle-East, Asia and the overall Orient) Here is Opa Locka's City Hall: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Opalockacityhall.jpg (broken link) Therefore, Miami is the most unique city in the US.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,067,635 times
eek and awesome danny,

I still think in American culture Salt Lake City takes it. Its the home to an entire new and thriving religion. No other city has that in the entire world. On a religious Timeline it ends with Utah. Lots of cities have unique dialects, unique music, unique foods, unique things in general. But I don't know of a single city in USA outside of Salt Lake City that doesn't just have unique religions but has its own religion.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,956,754 times
It would have to be a toss up between New Orleans and San Fran for me. I voted for San Fran, but it's close.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,553,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
it sure is too bad that disco, salsa and hip hop weren't evented in ny and don't classify as ny's own genres of music to meet your criteria, bored at work.
salsa is from nyc? nyc has a lot of musical origins but never heard that stretch.

disco and hip hop definitely

Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,672,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
salsa is from nyc? nyc has a lot of musical origins but never heard that stretch.

disco and hip hop definitely
Actually disco has roots in Philly also so not unique to NYC in it's inception.

Really a moot point though since there are many other cities that have been the breeding ground for other genres of music.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,959,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
if these types of arguments can be used against ny then they can be (and should be) used against any city on the list, period. so IMHO then that means we need to kill these weak arguments against ny and work on providing info thats going to make ppl see why *insert city here* is more unique than *insert city here* and we would do that by posting info (maybe personal testimony if possible), pics and vids.

its like 14 against 1, so i don't expect to "win" but instead of 12 and a half ppl trying to bring down ny and 1 person posting info, vids, pics on why ny is unique, why not have ppl who disagree post info, vids and pics on cities that they think are more unique??

just like i put my effort into providing info on ny, some of you can put your effort into your own cities instead of essentially ****ting on my reasons that ny is unique. you don't see me talking about why new orleans, miami, dc, chicago, etc. aren't unique and i won't because i think they are unique...i just don't think that they're the most unique and i give my reasons why i think another city is more unique.

Good Lord man...let it go. You find NY unique, you live there...Kudos...you have found your utopia. Why do you care that others don't think that? And isn't the unique quality of America that we are allowed to have our own opinions? State your opinion and move on. Quit trying to make others believe or adopt yours.

For cripes sake, I have never been to NYC and now you have totally turned me off of ever going there

BTW...nice choice in the Stanley Cup pic! GO WINGS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City