Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unique:
:
being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
a : being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover>
guess ny doesn't fit into either one then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post

They got "Bloods and Crips"(LA) in NY. They got "Latin Kings"(Chi) in NY. They got "MS-13"(LA) in NY. Alot of cities are trend-setters.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
eek

so then bring ppl from los angeles into the thread to talk about how los angeles is unique.
i'm trying to figure out why ppl keep bringing other cities up like we (those of us from ny) are supposed to start posting about what makes these other cities unique...

Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so then bring ppl from los angeles into the thread to talk about how los angeles is unique.
i'm trying to figure out why ppl keep bringing other cities up like we (those of us from ny) are supposed to start posting about what makes these other cities unique...
Let me ask you, what makes LA or NO, NOT unique?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
eek

i'm not trying to take down a city with my posts. just use the same criteria that everyone is using to say that ny isn't unique (or the most unique) and answer your question.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
This is just too funny at this point, only would a NYer throw such a hissy fit because most people feel another city is more unique. Good good dude, get a grip already. As of right now NYC is tied with SF for 2nd most unique city on this poll, isn't that enough? Many people do think it's the most unique, just not the majority on this thread.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
People will never acknowledge that NYC is the most unique city. Deep down they know that NYC is the most unique city. When an American goes to another country, if you would say that you are from New Orleans people will not know where is that. However if you say that you are from New York. They will be surprised, because in fact NYC is the most unique city.

I will not further argue anymore. I will rest my case here.
Promise?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
guess ny doesn't fit into either one then.
unique |yoōˈnēk|
adjective
being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else : the situation was unique in modern politics | original and unique designs.
• particularly remarkable, special, or unusual : a unique opportunity to see the spectacular Bolshoi Ballet.
• [ predic. ] ( unique to) belonging or connected to (one particular person, group, or place) : a style of architecture that is unique to Portugal.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is just too funny at this point, only would a NYer throw such a hissy fit because most people feel another city is more unique. Good good dude, get a grip already. As of right now NYC is tied with SF for 2nd most unique city on this poll, isn't that enough? Many people do think it's the most unique, just not the majority on this thread.
whats funny is that its not about ppl on CD feeling another city is more unique (which is fine) but its about ppl taking down ny, as usual, using different criteria to judge uniqueness when it comes to ny.

i call bs on that but you call it throwing a hissy fit. you're entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
unique |yoōˈnēk|
adjective
being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else : the situation was unique in modern politics | original and unique designs.
• particularly remarkable, special, or unusual : a unique opportunity to see the spectacular Bolshoi Ballet.
• [ predic. ] ( unique to) belonging or connected to (one particular person, group, or place) : a style of architecture that is unique to Portugal.
i've already posted the definition of unique:

Quote:
Unique:
:
being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
a : being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover>
which is weird because ny fits this but just not on CD.

now that the definition of unique has been posted twice, do the ppl who claim that i or others from ny don't know what unique means understand the definition of unique? do you not see from the definition alone how ny is pretty much the epitome of the definition? is it not remarkable? special? unusual in the sense that there is no other area in the country like it? so then how is it far-fetched for someone to bring up ny as the most unique city in america??

what equal does ny have in this country? ny is 1 of 1 and commonly put into its own category for a reason. those reasons aren't good enough for CD tho, as usual.

Last edited by eek; 08-23-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM
eek

IMO what is cool:

poster on CD:
-los angeles/new orleans/san fransisco/san diego are unique. here's why:
-post pics, posts vids, posts a personal testimoney of said city
-declares their city the most unique

IMHO what actually happens on CD:

-poster from ny says their city is the most unique
-posts examples why (testimony, video, pics)
-15 ppl from various cities say ny isn't unique at all because ___ city has ____ stuff that ny has.
-poster from ny says thats bull because the same can be said for any city in the country
-ppl come out of the woodwork to say that the ny poster is crazy
-ny poster wonders why this new criteria isn't applied to any other city
-ny poster is criticized.
-ny poster wonders why ppl aren't talking about how the cities they live in are more unique or just as unique but more inclined to criticize ny.

nobody is posting how their city is unique. the dude from new orleans was the last person besides me and like two other ppl from ny to post a video or testimony or something related to their city.

but WE are the ones that are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City