Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Im just saying why does no one ever give Florida credit for what came OUT of Florida. Why must people say everything is influenced by ATL?
Because for one thing, Florida overall has a ****-poor business climate and is woefully behind the rest of the region in attracting high paying white color jobs, and you know it. It is basically a very dismal economy for anyone that doesn't want to make a living waiting tables, working in a theme park or being a hotel clerk - particularly for the 4th largest State in the Country.

I am from Florida, so you aren't talking to some clueless rube here. I would have never done as well there as I have done in Atlanta, and hundreds of thousands of fellow Floridians that have moved here would tell you the same exact thing.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
I think we have the Jed Clampett of cities(Atlanta) talking smack in Beverly Hills. Atlanta has no major culture influence on the aforementioned areas

Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What the hell are you babbling about? The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has branch offices in Miami, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville and New Orleans. "They" that you speak of would not transfer anything back to anywhere. The Bank is here and those other cities depend on it for monetary supervision and regulation, check processing and getting infusions of $$$$$. Get it?

A bunch of new skyscrapers and a reality show makes 5+ million people think they are now on the level of Paris, Rome, NYC, etc? LOL!!!!!!
That sounds more like something you would claim for San Antonio or Austin.

Get a clue.
The Federal Reserve Bank was also setup years ago. Hell, Houston was some small town and Dallas and New Orleans were the big cities near it (New Orleans and Dallas were competing for the Fed office). Your example of the Fed is really getting tired. Kansas City has a Fed office....that controls Denver. San Francisco has a Fed office....that controls Los Angeles. Richmond has one....that controls Baltimore.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Sorry, but all of you Texans trying to minimize Atlanta's influence on the South is really growing tired.

I don't give a flip about the history of the Fed, what matters in this day and age is that they are where they are. Nobody is going to move them around, as imaterry78259 suggested.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but all of you Texans trying to minimize Atlanta's influence on the South is really growing tired.

I don't give a flip about the history of the Fed, what matters in this day and age is that they are where they are. Nobody is going to move them around, as imaterry78259 suggested.
Just because Atlanta is home to the Fed, doesn't mean it has total influence over the South. Atlanta's influence stops west of the Mississippi and just south of Daytona Beach in Florida. With your logic, Richmond has major influence over Baltimore. And I know you don't care about the history of the Fed, but do you really think it would be setup the way it is and today?? You think the Fed would be in Kansas City instead of Denver? Richmond instead of Baltimore (you can move some districts here). Also, who says they can't move a Federal city (not saying Atlanta will get moved because there is no reason for it).

No one is trying to diminish Atlanta's influence, but you have to stop thinking it influences the entire South. It only influences the Southeast and part of it at that (Florida is in the Southeast).

As far as your Florida comment. "Hundreds of thousands" of people are not moving to Georgia from Florida. Where did you get that from?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Sorry Angel, I guess you still don't get it. How in the hell does Atlantas influence stop at Daytona when I have already pointed out ad naseum that the Fed Bank of Atlanta includes ALL of Florida?

Hundreds of thousands of people have been, and continue to move from Florida to Atlanta. Look it up if you don't believe me - which from your past posts, I'm sure that is indeed the case.

When are you going to finally figure out that I don't make crap up?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Sorry Angel, I guess you still don't get it. How in the hell does Atlantas influence stop at Daytona when I have already pointed out ad naseum that the Fed Bank of Atlanta includes ALL of Florida?
Yeah, yeah, the Fed in Atlanta controls Florida, but you think people in Florida really know that (the normal, everyday person)? Nope. No one in Florida talks about Atlanta (save for the Panhandle and Jacksonville). Hell, native Floridians and people that live in Florida have said that already. I'll take their word for it.

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of people have been, and continue to move from Florida to Atlanta. Look it up if you don't believe me - which from your past posts, I'm sure that is indeed the case.
I already did and you're wrong.

Quote:
When are you going to finally figure out that I don't make crap up?
You think that because the Fed is in Atlanta, that it influences all of Florida. One metro area of 5 million is not going to influence a entire state of 18 million. Deal with it. And again, by your logic, Richmond influences Baltimore. Los Angeles looks up to San Fran. Denver looks up to Kansas City.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Particulars aside, Atlanta influences the rest of the South, being surrounded by it, much more than Houston (or any other city in Texas) does. Them's the facts. Atlanta's sphere of influence includes not just the state of Georgia, but radiates outward past state lines. Houston has other cities in Texas to compete with, and like other Texas cities, it's surrounded by... more Texas, so our cities' influence aren't felt as far and wide, with the exception of maybe Dallas on parts of Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas, and Houston on southwestern Louisiana.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Particulars aside, Atlanta influences the rest of the South, being surrounded by it, much more than Houston (or any other city in Texas) does. Them's the facts. Atlanta's sphere of influence includes not just the state of Georgia, but radiates outward past state lines. Houston has other cities in Texas to compete with, and Texas cities are surrounded by more Texas, so our cities' influence aren't felt as far and wide, with the exception of maybe Dallas on parts of Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas, and Houston on southwestern Louisiana.
Atlanta's influence stretches into North Carolina, not far past Jacksonville, and out west towards New Orleans. I'd say Houston's influence stretches well into New Orleans. Dallas all over Oklahoma and some of Arkansas. I just think it's dumb to think one metro area of five million can influence an entire state of 18 million. That's not how it is in Florida.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Atlanta's influence stretches into North Carolina, not far past Jacksonville, and out west towards New Orleans. I'd say Houston's influence stretches well into New Orleans. Dallas all over Oklahoma and some of Arkansas. I just think it's dumb to think one metro area of five million can influence an entire state of 18 million. That's not how it is in Florida.
I lived in New Orleans and I strongly disagree. My experience there showed me that people in New Orleans have a great disdain for Houston (largely because it's in Texas, and because we "stole" a good chunk of their economy out from under them), but a love for Atlanta. Go to the New Orleans forum and run it past them how much influence you think Houston has over their city and see for yourself. They'll laugh you right out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City