Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yeah, yeah, the Fed in Atlanta controls Florida, but you think people in Florida really know that (the normal, everyday person)? Nope. No one in Florida talks about Atlanta (save for the Panhandle and Jacksonville). Hell, native Floridians and people that live in Florida have said that already. I'll take their word for it.

The average Floridian would have no clue as to anything related to the Federal Reserve, your're correct. That however in no way diminishes the fact that Florida is OWNED by Atlanta in the grand scheme of things FEDERALLY! And I've already mentioned that I am from Florida and my opinion counts just as much as anyone from there. I am telling you that people in the business world in Florida DO think of Atlanta. Chances are the regional HQ's of whoever they work for is IN Atlanta - not Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando or West Palm. How many Fortune 500 companies are there again in Florida?

I already did and you're wrong.

PURE BS. Okay, now I'm calling you out. You did no such thing, or you would have easily have found this: "Georgia has been the number one out-migration state for Floridians for the past four decades." You have just lost all credibility with me.

Source: Stanley K. Smith of the University of Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research. Link: bebr.ufl.edu/Articles/paper_free.aspx

You think that because the Fed is in Atlanta, that it influences all of Florida. One metro area of 5 million is not going to influence a entire state of 18 million. Deal with it. And again, by your logic, Richmond influences Baltimore. Los Angeles looks up to San Fran. Denver looks up to Kansas City.
You need to deal with the fact that yes, this little place with only 5 million people OWNS Florida when it comes to the Federal Reserve and every other Federal agency with the exception of NASA. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

And of course I don't think any of those other places you mentioned look up to anyone. That was settled a long time ago, and frankly, in Atlanta's case it has no bearing on this discussion since Atlanta has become the Capital of its region. KC and Richmond obviously have not - it's not relevent.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I lived in New Orleans and I strongly disagree. My experience there showed me that people in New Orleans have a great disdain for Houston (largely because it's in Texas, and because we "stole" a good chunk of their economy out from under them), but a love for Atlanta. Go to the New Orleans forum and run it past them how much influence you think Houston has over their city and see for yourself. They'll laugh you right out of there.
I have family from the New Orleans area, and they think the exact opposite. "We're moving to BIG HOUSTON!!! They like to call it H-Town right?!?" From New Orleans west, Houston influence gets stronger (especially past Lafayette). Also, New Orleanians aren't really impressed with many cities (I'd say, San Fran, Chicago, DC, Miami, and NYC are the only cities). With the energy industry and port in New Orleans, Houston and New Orleans are more tied than you think. I've heard people from New Orleans call other cities "giant Metairies" (off topic, but that's how this thread rolls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You need to deal with the fact that yes, this little place with only 5 million people OWNS Florida when it comes to the Federal Reserve and every other Federal agency with the exception of NASA. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

And of course I don't think any of those other places you mentioned look up to anyone. That was settled a long time ago, and frankly, in Atlanta's case it has no bearing on this discussion since Atlanta has become the Capital of its region. KC and Richmond obviously have not - it's not relevent.
Nope. Go ask anyone in Florida if they think Atlanta influences them. You'll probably get a yes in the Panhandle and Jacksonville, but everywhere else, everyone could care less about Atlanta. Atlanta does not "own" the state of Florida. Not even close. You're the only Atlantan I have ever seen say that.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
I have family from the New Orleans area, and they think the exact opposite. "We're moving to BIG HOUSTON!!! They like to call it H-Town right?!?" From New Orleans west, Houston influence gets stronger (especially past Lafayette).
Maybe that's because you live here? I don't know where New Orleans West is (don't remember any part of town being called that), but yes, Houston has some influence over southwestern Louisiana, as I previously stated. On the city of New Orleans, not so much.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe that's because you live here? I don't know where New Orleans West is (don't remember any part of town being called that), but yes, Houston has some influence over southwestern Louisiana, as I previously stated. On the city of New Orleans, not so much.
From New Orleans west (as in west of New Orleans). I wasn't saying there was a section of New Orleans called "New Orleans West" because I haven't heard of a place in New Orleans called that either.

As for influence, it's the industries in both places, many New Orleans residents (or ones that came over during Katrina + family) support Houston sports team (aside from football and before the Hornets got good).

Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
From New Orleans west (as in west of New Orleans). I wasn't saying there was a section of New Orleans called "New Orleans West" because I haven't heard of a place in New Orleans called that either.
Well, at first you said "well into New Orleans." If you're changing your tune, I guess we don't disagree.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well, at first you said "well into New Orleans." If you're changing your tune, I guess we don't disagree.
From New Orleans west, including the city of New Orleans on west. I'm not saying Atlanta doesn't have influence on New Orleans, but Houston does as well.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Go ask anyone in Florida if they think Atlanta influences them. You'll probably get a yes in the Panhandle and Jacksonville, but everywhere else, everyone could care less about Atlanta. Atlanta does not "own" the state of Florida. Not even close. You're the only Atlantan I have ever seen say that.
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? What part of FEDERALLY do you not understand? I honestly don't give a flying flip what the average ill-informed Floridan thinks. The truth of the matter is that ON A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES level, yes indeed, Atlanta OWNS Florida.

Get it now?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
From New Orleans west, including the city of New Orleans on west. I'm not saying Atlanta doesn't have influence on New Orleans, but Houston does as well.
Okay, then we'll agree to disagree. You'd have to offer more proof than your family to convince me after living in both places.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Houston and New Orleans have been having beef since hurricane Katrina but Houston still has influence there. Many people come to Houston to get education or live here. I attend TSU now and we have lots of people from Louisiana believe it or not. You'd also be surprised by how much influence Houston has in Miss. Lots of southern rappers come here to get starteded in the rap industry; you might think ATL, but lots of people come to Houston.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? What part of FEDERALLY do you not understand? I honestly don't give a flying flip what the average ill-informed Floridan thinks. The truth of the matter is that ON A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES level, yes indeed, Atlanta OWNS Florida.
I'll let you be. You're obviously alone on this one.

Quote:
Okay, then we'll agree to disagree. You'd have to offer more proof than your family to convince me after living in both places.
I did, but you caught me before my edits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City