Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Atlanta is acting like the newly rich. First time it has something it doesn't know how to act.
Actually, Atlanta is loaded with OLD money. Care to elaborate on what we just got for the first time?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yeah, Atlanta's suburbs have definitely changed, but it still feels segregated.
Care to elaborate? I have friends in the burbs 45 miles out that live in neighborhoods that look and feel like you just landed at the U.N. How is that segregated?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I can say the same exact thing, with the exception that my area is not predominatly black - it's more of a mix of everything. And I live in DeKalb, which is hardly suburban in nature these days. This is considered an urban core County of Metro Atlanta (approx. 65% of DeKalb is within the I-285 loop). In most other metros, DeKalb would be considered "inner-city" by most measures.

As far as Miami-Dade being less diverse than DeKalb, I believe it and with a visit it becomes pretty obvious. Miami-Dade has nowhere NEAR the Asian/Indian influence we have. Not even close.
But how does Asian/Indian influence mean more diverse. DeKlab still dosent have the european, or carribean/latin-american, influence or the jewish influence that makes miami a GAMMA WORLD CITY. And on top of that Miami Lakes still has one of the highest in arab residents. Get serious here it is NOT more diverse then DADE COUNTY. What city merits DeKlab more diverse than a county with a gamma wolrd city in it. In that case palm beach county is more diverse than Fulton county and ATL. tHERE ARE MEXICANS GUATAMALEANS, HAITIANS, RUSSIANS, ITALIANS, CUBANS, JAMAICANS, CANADIANS, living in Palm Beach County. People see all the Cubans and say Miami isnt diverse. But I could just say look at all the mexicans in LA it isnt diverse. Look at all the Black and White people in ATL it isnt diverse.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
I can say the same exact thing, with the exception that my area is not predominatly black - it's more of a mix of everything. And I live in DeKalb, which is hardly suburban in nature these days. This is considered an urban core County of Metro Atlanta (approx. 65% of DeKalb is within the I-285 loop). In most other metros, DeKalb would be considered "inner-city" by most measures.

As far as Miami-Dade being less diverse than DeKalb, I believe it and with a visit it becomes pretty obvious. Miami-Dade has nowhere NEAR the Asian/Indian influence we have. Not even close.
No you can't say the same thing. People notice the diversity here in Houston and Miami, you can't necessarily say the same for DAL and ATL. ATL is known as a city that is just black and white, but not HOU and MIA. HOU has pulled latin grammy awards, Ozone awards, and philippine game show, and more. Everytime you see or hear about HOU and MIA you don't see them advertising how life is great for blacks, and how they are black meccas. ATL just isn't on HOU and MIA level in diversity.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Yet again, you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. Atlanta has influence over a lot of these cities, but I realize talking to you about anything serious is like talking to a toaster.

Let me put this on a base level you may understand. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville and New Orleans would fail without Atlanta due to the simple fact that the Federal Reserve Bank of ATLANTA supplies them with $$$$$. Does that help any?

And as far as Florida not coming under Atlantas influence, I suggest you rethink that one. Not one city in Florida can make any kind of move concerning anything related to the Federal Government without first running it by the regional honchos that are based in - Atlanta!

Care to hear more?
Nothing in ATL influences anything that comes through the port of miami or the port of tampa. Or any of the ports for that matter. And Miami was thriving long before atlanta help thanks to all the baby boomers from world war 2. If miami and south florida should thank someoen they should thank NYC looooooooooong before they should even think to thank ATL for ANYTHING. Northereners (even though im ashamed to say this) have had more influence over the state of florida then ATL ever had or ever will. Yeah you are right about the banks, but most of that money in the state is up north money. This state was buitl on tourism from the north. Henry Flagler a man from Cleveland I think? (correct me if im wrong) built the florida railroad so tourist can make there way down the state. Thats why you have alot of roads and streets with the name flagler down here. After world war 2 the baby boomers started comin down here and tourism grew even more. Then you have walt disney bringin a theme park, then universal, then sea world and busch gardens. You also have NASA building the Kennedy Space Center here that helped the economy in Brevard county and bringin alot of technical jobs and government jobs in central florida such as weapons testin companies . . Also Forida is one of the largest cyberstates (states with the largest number of hightech jobs) I believe its number 4. EA Sports Tiburon is one of many tech jobs. IBM having a large division in Boca Raton where they created the IBM PC. Then you have mass immigration form the Carribean and latin america in south florida changing the demographics forever and, the culture. And all the fruits such as oranges grapefruit and sugercane coming out of Florida. And plus you got hooters that stareted in TAMPA and is now headquartered in ATL. Someone mentioned Ozone awards. Ozone magazine started in Orlando and is now headquarteded in ATL. Orlando has Universal then Tyler Perry Studios came out, and someone on TV stated it is the ATL version of Universal studios. Hmmm do all my words sound familiar. It kinda sounds like the other way around then what you stated about FL and ATL. I just dont see how one city can influence a state of 18million people with many large cities and a diverse population. So Florida is influenced by alot of other things than Atlanta. I dont think ATL had anything to do with what I just said.

Last edited by polo89; 12-29-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM

imaterry was right. Noooone of those cities (except MAYBE Jacksonville is influenced by ATL). Ive been to maybe 90% of those cities. I lived in TX and FL.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nothing in ATL influences anything that comes through the port of miami or the port of tampa. Or any of the ports for that matter. And Miami was thriving long before atlanta help thanks to all the baby boomers from world war 2. If miami and south florida should thank someoen they should thank NYC looooooooooong before they should even think to thank ATL for ANYTHING. Northereners (even though im ashamed to say this) have had more influence over the state of florida then ATL ever had or ever will. Yeah you are right about the banks but most of that money is up north money. This state was buitl on tourism from the north. Henry Flagler a man from Cleveland I think? (correct me if im wrong) built the florida railroad so tourist can make there way down the state. Thats why you have alot of roads and streets with the name flagler down here. After world war 2 the baby boomers started comin down here and tourism grew even more. Then you have walt disney bringin a theme park, then universal, then sea world and busch gardens. You also have NASA building the Kennedy Space Center here helping the economy in Brevard county and bringin alot of technical jobs and government jobs in central florida EA Sports tiburon and missile testin companies. Also Forida is one of the largest cyberstates (states with the largest number of hightech jobs) I believe its number 4. IBM having a large division in Boca Raton where they created the IBM PC. Then you have mass immigration form the Carribean and latin america in south florida changing the demographics forever. And all the fruits such as oranges grapefruit and sugercane coming out of Florida. So Florida is influenced by zlot of other things than Atlanta.
That's fine and dandy for South Florida. But my family is from the Florida Panhandle about an hour west of Tallahassee, and Atlanta always had a much larger influence over our sphere than Miami could ever dream of. South Florida was always like a separate state from the rest of Florida. I also lived in Miami and agree that, historically, Atlanta has had very little influence over Miami. (Well except for flying where even Miami-based Eastern Airlines had its hub in Atlanta, and it was almost impossible to fly to anywhere in the US other than the NE out of Miami without changing planes in Atlanta.) It's like Miami is a Northern city transplanted to the tropics and wishes it was in the Caribbean.

But since Miami has extremely little influence over the rest of the South--and it's more of an irritation to the rest of Florida--there's no way that Miami can make any claim to be the mythical capital of the South. But it's a great city that has worldwide acclaim, that's for sure.

I don't understand why so many people in this forum thing that "capital of the South" means "biggest city" or "most important city" in the South. It seems that mainly our friends in Houston feel that's how it should be. Is Austin the most important city in Texas?

BTW, considering that Florida is the 4th largest state in the union, there's nothing noteworthy about its also having the 4th largest number of high-tech jobs. In fact, if Florida surpasses New York in the 2010 Census and STILL is ranked only 4th for high-tech jobs, that would be pretty sad.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's fine and dandy for South Florida. But my family is from the Florida Panhandle about an hour west of Tallahassee, and Atlanta always had a much larger influence over our sphere than Miami could ever dream of. South Florida was always like a separate state from the rest of Florida. I also lived in Miami and agree that, historically, Atlanta has had very little influence over Miami. (Well except for flying where even Miami-based Eastern Airlines had its hub in Atlanta, and it was almost impossible to fly to anywhere in the US other than the NE out of Miami without changing planes in Atlanta.) It's like Miami is a Northern city transplanted to the tropics and wishes it was in the Caribbean.

But since Miami has extremely little influence over the rest of the South--and it's more of an irritation to the rest of Florida--there's no way that Miami can make any claim to be the mythical capital of the South. But it's a great city that has worldwide acclaim, that's for sure.

I don't understand why so many people in this forum thing that "capital of the South" means "biggest city" or "most important city" in the South. It seems that mainly our friends in Houston feel that's how it should be. Is Austin the most important city in Texas?

BTW, considering that Florida is the 4th largest state in the union, there's nothing noteworthy about its also having the 4th largest number of high-tech jobs. In fact, if Florida surpasses New York in the 2010 Census and STILL is ranked only 4th for high-tech jobs, that would be pretty sad.
None of us houstonians have said Houston is the capital of the south. It's peole from ATL that think they run the south. I just feel people misunderstand houston. I mean the majority of the south does get its oil from Houston, which affected the whole south when Hurricane Ike hit. I think the poll should've been closed a long time ago.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Im in West Palm Beach right now. Nooooone is talking about ATL. But when I get back to Charlotte in the PIEDMONT, i'll here about ATL all day.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I understand. But I was responding to somone that said ATL has a major influence over FLA which is not true. Florida is doing fine for itself, and ATL has absolutely nothing to do with that. You're right maybe the panhandle but the rest of the state including Dayotona Beach on down has not been influenced by ATL. ATL has set no trends down in Florida. Nothing down here remotely reminds me of ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City