Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city makes the best Mexican food?
San Diego 67 9.88%
Los Angeles 173 25.52%
Pheonix 24 3.54%
Las Vegas 2 0.29%
Alburqurque 85 12.54%
Dallas 73 10.77%
San Anotonio 97 14.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 11 1.62%
Houston 58 8.55%
Other 88 12.98%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,456,135 times

Advertisements

As a matter of preference I chose LA because I really don't care for the (in)famous Mission burritos. I think they're way too bloated. OTOH my favorite taqueria is La Taqueria in SF on Mission (they've just recently closed the original San Jose location--shameful). For the quesadillas, not the burritos. Moreover, the mission burritos don't sit or reheat well what with all that crap like lettuce, sour cream and guacamole in them.

SJ could have gotten the nod, since downtown around the corner from La Taqueria's old location was a little place that may not be around anymore called the Guadalajara Market, although I'd always order the burrito with chili Colorado, which I think is more Tex-Mex. Delicious. After work, getting off the light rail, meat that had been simmering all day in red sauce... But they served their burritos normal the way I'm used to. If you wanted extra sides besides rice and beans they'd serve them in a cup on the side. Where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
I would also have to say LA. I know that I've had better Mexican food in LA than anywhere outside of Mexico including Laredo, Tx. I have found that Laredo and San Antonio have good Mexican food, just not as good as LA. The funny thing is that other Texas cities like even Austin and Dallas and Houston don't really have good mexican food for some reason. It's like it ends at New Braunfels in Texas for some reason. That's not say that it doesn't exist in those places, it's just not wide spread. I have found New Mexico to have very good Mexican food as well as phoenix. I like San Diego and San Franciscos as well, but haven't really had enough time in those places to comment. They may be better than LA, but I wouldn't know. I havefound some of the best Mexican food in the states in NYC surprisingly. It's just not common to NYC and good mexican restaurants in NYC are hard to find and are definately not the norm. There is definately more bad mexican restaurants than good in NYC.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Coming from Austin, TX where there is A LOT of fantastic Mexican Food... I have to give it to San Antonio, which is even slightly better! Cali-Mex is good, just a different style. Texas is 100% Norteno, so it is spicier and beefier. California has that whole Asian-Mexican thing going, which is pretty good. But San Antonio beats that too, in my book.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not trying to say the Mexican food is not good in the Bay Area or that it doesn't have some great places, I just never thought it was anything special. I just like the places, variety, and types of dishes down here more overall. There is just more too choose from and I love CA Burritos and Fish tacos, two things I really don't find much of up north.

I don't really remember the names of the Taco shops and restaurants I went to up there b/c I never really had a regular one that I always went to b/c never thought any were anything special. But some of the ones that I like in SD would be Wahoo's (just for fish tacos not a "real" mexican place though), Somberos, Santana's, El Zerape, El Agave are some that come to mind.

I also count my experience in Baja Ca and you can't get any more authentic or good than what you can find in Mexico. La Diferencia in TJ has to be the best sit down Mexican I think I've ever had, amazing food and really good prices. :: La Diferencia Restaurant, Excelencia en Comida Mexicana :: Tijuana, Baja California, México. Baja Great Places.

The Bay Area may have some places than can be just as good as down here or that serve a good burrito but overall there is just more to choose from and better variety in Southern CA and Baja CA.
Good post. Thanks for the rundown. One day I'll eventually check it out and see what I think!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
OTOH my favorite taqueria is La Taqueria in SF on Mission. For the quesadillas, not the burritos.
I concur. The quesadillas there are bomb, but the burritos....eh, not so much.

Quote:
Moreover, the mission burritos don't sit or reheat well what with all that crap like lettuce, sour cream and guacamole in them.
Very true. That's why I either kill mine right away or order it regular if I think I'll need to reheat it.

Quote:
SJ could have gotten the nod
That's what I often hear, but I haven't found too much down there that has impressed me. There used to be an excellent taco truck at King/Story behind King's Burger that's gone now, and Las Flamas on Monterey (I think?) has decent tortas, but other than those I've never been impressed. Do you or anyone else have some REALLY GOOD SJ suggestions??? I'd love to try some of what I always hear about.

Quote:
I'd always order the burrito with chili Colorado, which I think is more Tex-Mex. Delicious. After work, getting off the light rail, meat that had been simmering all day in red sauce...
I love really good Chile Colorado. Unfortunately they're not all created equal. Tapatia in SSF has a really good one tho IMO.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
I hate this thread. Every day I check my updated threads and it makes me fiend for mexican Especially now living in California. I eat it pretty much every other day. I've been out here about a month and have eaten El Farolito 6 times already among others I haven't differed from asian/mexican theme yet...there is so many options and so much better than most other places. Yeah it isn't the BEST but for the price, it can't be beat. I prefer the simple corn tacos w/ carne asada over any burrito though, or mexican seafood dishes (i.e. a flash fried whole red snapper). Burritos are just too much carbs for me.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I havefound some of the best Mexican food in the states in NYC surprisingly. It's just not common to NYC and good mexican restaurants in NYC are hard to find and are definately not the norm. There is definately more bad mexican restaurants than good in NYC.
Which ones do you like? I agree about more bad than good mexican restaurants. Rosa Mexicana and Dos Caminos are good, not earth shattering. I've tried various Burrito outposts, and found them disappointing. Burritoes remind me of pillows; I've enjoyed La Esquina and some taco truck on 14th, west end.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

246 posts, read 759,485 times
If Burritos remind you of pillows then you have yet to try a good one. If done right, they are as good as food can get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Which ones do you like? I agree about more bad than good mexican restaurants. Rosa Mexicana and Dos Caminos are good, not earth shattering. I've tried various Burrito outposts, and found them disappointing. Burritoes remind me of pillows; I've enjoyed La Esquina and some taco truck on 14th, west end.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
If Burritos remind you of pillows then you have yet to try a good one. If done right, they are as good as food can get!
I've had my fair share of good burritos, its the ones in I've had in NYC that remind me of pillows.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
No Miami?
Miami doesn't have a large Mexican population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City