Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 68 40.72%
California 105 62.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Still inaccurate, the Belt Buckle is somewhere in the Piedmont(I heard it was NC).
Say what?!? NC is one of the most "progressive" southern states. Do we live in the same universe?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I was obviously exaggerating when I said I'd rather live in somali, but being from the northeast texas and texan culture jus rubs me the wrong way. They're always talking about seccession.
Only the EXTREMIST(Who do not in any way shape or form represent the MAJORITY of the state of Texas) talk about secession. I myself have never met anyone IN Texas that is in favor of secession. If you stay in an urban area it's not bad. Rick Perry has given people this EXTREME image of Texas.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You have been listening to much Rick Perry and his secession talk. It’s a myth that has been instilled by the media that Texas is a ultra conservative state. Its more registered democrats in the state of Texas than republicans. The problem is they don't vote. There are plenty of democrats in office from the state of Texas. The state is on the verge of becoming a swing state.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I think you have a myth of your own about the registration.

Fewer Voters Identify as Republicans - Pew Research Center

In 2008 elections, was 33% registered republican, 30% registered democrat.

Now in support of your point, registered rebublicans did drop 4% points from 2004, but for some reason I bet that is on the rise again.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Say what?!? NC is one of the most "progressive" southern states. Do we live in the same universe?
Whoa buddy, I live in NC, and I agree it does have a more progressive image then it's surrounding Southern states, what I was saying is that it is the Buckle Of The Bible Belt(nothing wrong with that), as evidenced by the number of churches in Charlotte, and Billy Graham being born and raised here.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Only the EXTREMIST(Who do not in any way shape or form represent the MAJORITY of the state of Texas) talk about secession. I myself have never met anyone IN Texas that is in favor of secession. If you stay in an urban area it's not bad. Rick Perry has given people this EXTREME image of Texas.
That is true but.... almost 50% of Texas republicans were in favor of secession last year. That is a lot of dang extremists..............

Half of Texas Republicans Support Secession -- Political Wire

Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM

I just don't think a state that voted 3.5million for BHO in the 2008 election is the ANCHOR of Conservatism especially when there are many states that are more Conservative. It is Conservative, but over exaggerated. Living there didn't feel much different then living in here in NC. Believe it or not. I guess because I lived in Austin.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
That is true but.... almost 50% of Texas republicans were in favor of secession last year. That is a lot of dang extremists..............

Half of Texas Republicans Support Secession -- Political Wire
But I read somewhere that 80% OVERALL were not in favor of it. How can a state with SOOOO many Minorities, SOOOO many California transplants, SOOO many urban centers, be THAT much against Liberals?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Whoa buddy, I live in NC, and I agree it does have a more progressive image then it's surrounding Southern states, what I was saying is that it is the Buckle Of The Bible Belt(nothing wrong with that), as evidenced by the number of churches in Charlotte, and Billy Graham being born and raised here.
While they have some crossover in ideals, conservatism and evangelicalism are not the same thing and your original post discusses conservatism. That is what my statement addresses.

Besides, while NC has some famous churches, due to some attractive reasons, Texas is the king of the mega churches of late. More power to them.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
But I read somewhere that 80% OVERALL were not in favor of it. How can a state with SOOOO many Minorities, SOOOO many California transplants, SOOO many urban centers, be THAT much against Liberals?
Try 61% but it is a majority that are still "sane." Actually if you compare the Republican % and the overall %, it tells you quiet a lot about the state when you look at how those two stats fit together (mainly how large the Rebulican base is).

Now in the urban areas I bet that is 80% who are not in favor of secession.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I just don't think a state that voted 3.5million for BHO in the 2008 election is the ANCHOR of Conservatism especially when there are many states that are more Conservative. It is Conservative, but over exaggerated. Living there didn't feel much different then living in here in NC. Believe it or not. I guess because I lived in Austin.
Utah I believe is the most conservative state % wise. But in absolute numbers and the all important "dollar," Texas by far is the anchor of conservatism in this country IMO. It could be 50%/50% and I bet that would still be the case (unless Florida swung even farther right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City