Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM

23 posts, read 79,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Every city offers at least some diversity, but Hong Kong cannot and will not hold a candle to New York, Toronto, or London when it comes to diversity. Not just those cities, but any American city with over 1 million people. There are also American cities with less then 1 million people that are more diverse than HK.

I've travelled a lot in my short life. I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome, Naples, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Denver, Detroit, Philly, San Francisco, DC, Texas, New Orleans, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, etc.

I'm an avid traveller.
And if you ever have kids you'll be looking for a white suburb with white schools...lol.

BTW, there is no such thing as "diversity". There are only cities in transition.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 PM

8,633 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Pfff, yeah right. HK's architecture is a joke compared to Chicago's, New York's, London's, Paris', Rome's, Boston's, St. Petersburg's, Athens', etc.

Judging by your photos, HK has some of the ugliest architecture I've ever laid eyes on. It's so simple.
Do you just recycle the same garbage in every post? Perhaps if you actually visited Hong Kong, you'd have some type of experience with the city or points of reference to backup your comments instead of relying on a couple of photos someone else posted, as well as listening to negative comments from other posters who most likely have never been to Hong Kong either.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Sorry to say but New York City looks like a slum compared to Hong Kong. Hong Kong has a much cleaner and more appealing look to it,the river or bay that runs through there is prettier and cleaner than the Hudson River in New York.

You take the Manhattan skyline out of NYC and what do you have and like someone said you can stick Manhattan in Hong Kong and it wouldn't be noticeable. Hong Kong hands down,their skyline is very impressive.
Dumbest thing I've ever read on this form. I don't get this whole "nobody would notice NYC in HK" BS, so can someone explain that to me? Nobody would notice the most popular, photographed and iconic city in the middle of HK? The architecture in HK is hideous compared to NYC.

I've been to both and NYC looks better as a city. Besides the more varying natural landscape, Hong Kong is actually a very boring and at times a slummy looking place and I don't find it attractive at all. Tokyo is nicer.

There is nothing that beats the skyscraper canyons in Manhattan.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
you can stick Manhattan in Hong Kong and it wouldn't be noticeable
i think the HK skyline is amazing and all, but..........huh?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
I am impressed with Central Park in NYC,whether Hong Kong has a park of this magnitude I don't know but Hong Kong's skyline is off the charts,its not just Hong Kong but the other Islands architecture is impressive.

The other Burroughs of NYC outside of Manhattan are gritty and drab,I am not alluding to the homes but the buildings and this is not apparent in Hong Kong as every area or district is aesthetically appealing,it has a clean appearance,a white-washed look that is very noticeable along with a mountain backdrop.

Definitely and without a doubt Hong Kong has the most impressive skyline in the world,there is no city that is even close.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
The photos on page 1, doesn't really help NYC. Here are some better photos! Shots by RFCGRAPHICS on SCC

Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 PM

I agree Hong Kong is impressive. I've been there twice. But nowhere blows my socks off like New York City. It's an original and so distinctive.

I also prefer the architecture in New York which is a mix of neo-Classical, Art Deco buildings like the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building, then onto the modern skyscrapers of various styles. I think it's marvelous and truly breathtaking. The buildings are not just stupendous in height and size, they're iconic...instantly recognizable to generations of people around the world.

So many cities have beautiful settings and are beautiful themselves. I don't find Hong Kong beautiful, though I find it fascinating. New York is strangely beautiful, breathtaking, and fascinating in my opinion.

Nowhere beats New York for sheer awesomeness.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
I

The other Burroughs of NYC outside of Manhattan are gritty and drab,I am not alluding to the homes but the buildings and this is not apparent in Hong Kong as every area or district is aesthetically appealing,it has a clean appearance,a white-washed look that is very noticeable along with a mountain backdrop.
HK is all clean and all good looking?...please, no city in the world that is sizable will ever be able to do that

Hong Kong buildings on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ugly buildings. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hong Kong Hood II on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_2013 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I am impressed with Central Park in NYC,whether Hong Kong has a park of this magnitude I don't know but Hong Kong's skyline is off the charts,its not just Hong Kong but the other Islands architecture is impressive.

Definitely and without a doubt Hong Kong has the most impressive skyline in the world,there is no city that is even close.
Have you really been around HK? There are many absolutely nasty parts of Hong Kong which re-define the word "slum" and make the ghettos in Bronx look like resorts.

HK can look very run-down and third-world disgusting so I don't know where you are coming from calling the entire boroughs dumps and Kong Kong nice, clean and pleasing,..maybe some of these photos will bring you back to reality.

Last edited by Americanboy; 10-25-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 PM

8,633 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
HK is all clean and all good looking?...please, no city in the world that is sizable will ever be able to do that

Hong Kong buildings on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ugly buildings. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hong Kong Hood II on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_2013 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
I do not agree with the poster you are responding to; however, in all fairness, all of Hong Kong does not look like this either. I could pick the nastiest pictures off of google for New York as well. BTW, the photos that another poster had posted above of New York are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City