Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
An unusual accent to me is the accent that Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin people have. I wouldn't say any accent is "weird" or "ugly" just different maybe.
I was going to say the same thing. I love to watch the movie "Fargo" just to hear how the people talk. I find it a bit weird but not ugly at all... in fact, rather charming, really.

And, in response to a previous poster, I rather like Sarah Palin's accent.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I say "yous." My father says "yous." My grandfather says "yous." My grandmother says "yous." That's not bad.
"Yous" is bad. It makes someone sound like a high school dropout. I hear "yous" around Scranton sometimes too, mostly from the uneducated. The same crowd that say things like "hayna or no?" and "a couple-two-tree."

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Yeah of course we do because if New York does it, it's always right. The epicenter of the country, no, the world, is always right. Even when we're wrong we're right.
If NY is so great, then why are the Poconos bursting at the seams with ex-New Yorkers trampling over themselves to move out of NY? People there are willing to commute 2 hours every day to their jobs in NY, just so they don't have to live there.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
No, we definitely don't say home like that...
OK, maybe its not exactly "hay-ome" for home, but its the closest I could come up with on a computer keyboard. Philly people definitely have a strange way of pronouncing words like "home" and "phone." I have relatives from the Philly burbs that pronounce the word ours as "airs."

I'm not knocking Philly, I love Philly, but it definitely has its own unique accent.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
OK, maybe its not exactly "hay-ome" for home, but its the closest I could come up with on a computer keyboard. Philly people definitely have a strange way of pronouncing words like "home" and "phone." I have relatives from the Philly burbs that pronounce the word ours as "airs."

I'm not knocking Philly, I love Philly, but it definitely has its own unique accent.
Any Yankee sounding accent.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,841 times
Quote:

I dont know what burb they live in, but none of us talk like that. As far as home and phone go, my dad is from Philly, and definitely doesnt say those words unusually.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
I love any Southern accent but some Northern ones (I couldn't tell you which ones they are) drive me up the wall!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
what's "California valley girl"? Is it SoCal accent?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I dont know what burb they live in, but none of us talk like that. As far as home and phone go, my dad is from Philly, and definitely doesnt say those words unusually.
I've tried to type out the "phone" and "hoagie" and "home" in a Philly phoentic way , but it doesn't come across. There is DEFINITELY a Philly accent. You don't realize it because you're used to it. You can spot one a million miles away.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:

You're absolutely right - it doesn't come across, but it's definitely there - my IL's all speak like that. - it's kind of like "hoee-gee" (hard G), "ph-OWN" - you need to almost purse your lips to say those words! I should try to find a you tube link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City