Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Major Desert City in the USA?
Albuquerque 80 24.10%
Phoenix 111 33.43%
Las Vegas 92 27.71%
Tuscon 24 7.23%
Coachella Valley area 10 3.01%
Other 15 4.52%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,000,533 times

Advertisements

Tucson sits within the Sonoran Desert, precipitation or not. While rainfall totals do give you the textbook definition of desert, it is not the only trait of a desert, and this desert in particular. The saguaros are just as many in Tucson as they are in Phoenix.

That said, Phoenix is the dominant center of the region.. The center of banking and finance for the southwest region, the center of the natural resource industries in the region... And in its own way, Phoenix acts as the face of the desert southwest. Even as southwestern culture is getting harder and harder to find, here.

Phoenix is younger than Tucson and Albuquerque, but older than Las Vegas. Has its roots as the agricultural powerhouse of the southwest and really got its start as a farming community. It doesn't have the same "old pueblo" vibe that Tucson has, but it is unique in its own way. Culturally, I would say it still has more in common with the southwest than it does with the west coast cities.

Las Vegas is the undisputed entertainment capital of the region. Not a whole lot else going for it, in my eyes.

Tucson, however, is my pick for the best desert city. It's dynamic, and changing for the better in ways that the others are not. They're reinventing their downtown area, investing heavily in high tech industries, and trying to pave the way for a new type of southwestern city. I picture Tucson becoming the next Portland or Austin sometime in the next 20 years or so.

Albuquerque is gorgeous, but it hasn't changed as much as Tucson has. There hasn't been the same investment in urban neighborhoods and redevelopment of blighted areas. Gorgeous region, but time moves slower there. Part of its charm, and many choose to live there for that reason, I'm sure.

Last edited by CodyW; 12-13-2012 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
^ pretty much spot on, written honestly without exuding one being better than another but rather telling it like it is. You know the region very well.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,159,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Tucson sits within the Sonoran Desert, precipitation or not. While rainfall totals do give you the textbook definition of desert, it is not the only trait of a desert, and this desert in particular. The saguaros are just as many in Tucson as they are in Phoenix.

That said, Phoenix is the dominant center of the region.. The center of banking and finance for the southwest region, the center of the natural resource industries in the region... And in its own way, Phoenix acts as the face of the desert southwest. Even as southwestern culture is getting harder and harder to find, here.

Phoenix is younger than Tucson and Albuquerque, but older than Las Vegas. Has its roots as the agricultural powerhouse of the southwest and really got its start as a farming community. It doesn't have the same "old pueblo" vibe that Tucson has, but it is unique in its own way. Culturally, I would say it still has more in common with the southwest than it does with the west coast cities.

Las Vegas is the undisputed entertainment capital of the region. Not a whole lot else going for it, in my eyes.

Tucson, however, is my pick for the best desert city. It's dynamic, and changing for the better in ways that the others are not. They're reinventing their downtown area, investing heavily in high tech industries, and trying to pave the way for a new type of southwestern city. I picture Tucson becoming the next Portland or Austin sometime in the next 20 years or so.

Albuquerque is gorgeous, but it hasn't changed as much as Tucson has. There hasn't been the same investment in urban neighborhoods and redevelopment of blighted areas. Gorgeous region, but time moves slower there. Part of its charm, and many choose to live there for that reason, I'm sure.
Great Post!!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
I hate US desert cities, but of those Albuquerque

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I hate US desert cities, but of those Albuquerque
Well thanks for stopping by for a dose of hateful negativity and hating on the desert, what a great contribution to the thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,159,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well thanks for stopping by for a dose of hateful negativity and hating on the desert, what a great contribution to the thread.
LOL...my thoughts exactly.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times
San Antonio

Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times
San Antonio

Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Default San Antonio Doesn't Fit The Powers That Be Vision Of A Desert City

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio
San Antonio Doesn't Fit The Powers That Be Vision Of A Desert City , you see San Antonio gets too much rainfall......Desert Cities must get 10 inches and below to qualify says the all powerful experts.......San Antonio Texas Gets 32 Inches Yearly

desert - National Geographic Education

Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
San Antonio (and Austin) are in the prairie. It's hard to look at the surrounding landscape and think desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City