Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Major Desert City in the USA?
Albuquerque 80 24.10%
Phoenix 111 33.43%
Las Vegas 92 27.71%
Tuscon 24 7.23%
Coachella Valley area 10 3.01%
Other 15 4.52%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
The Best major Desert City in the USA? Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tuscon, Coachella Valley, etc...
There only one " major big city " on the list , all of the other city are smallest large cities alright , but not truly a major city....Phoenix is the one that fit the criteria of a "major city" Las Vegas Lost Wages doesn't have any " Major League Sports " and Phoenix has all 4 First Tier MLSports...

If I had to live in the desert I would choose Tucson , ABQ , Phoenix then Las Vegas ....because I don't choose Major cities to retire in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Reno and El Paso should have been on there as well. And what the heck is a Coachella Valley?
I don't know if Reno get more than 10 inches of rain or not...I would say that it does making it not a desert city , and really Reno is a small city and small metro area.....

Coachella Valley is Palms Springs and Palms Desert which aren't even cities , not even remotely cities....

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There only one " major big city " on the list , all of the other city are smallest large cities alright , but not truly a major city....Phoenix is the one that fit the criteria of a "major city" Las Vegas Lost Wages doesn't have any " Major League Sports " and Phoenix has all 4 First Tier MLSports...

If I had to live in the desert I would choose Tucson , ABQ , Phoenix then Las Vegas ....because I don't choose Major cities to retire in....
The thing is, Phoenix has more jobs than the other cities. I search for finance & accounting jobs on monster.com resulted in 78 positions in Las Vegas, and 380 in Phoenix. That's even more than where I live now (tampa bay area).

I thought about Tucson too, less haboobs and slightly cooler weather. But, there's just not enough freeways for me there.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM

262 posts, read 607,264 times
imho

1) Phoenix
2) Tucson
3) Coachella Valley Area
4) Albuquerque

At any rate, they're all great cities/areas, and I wouldn't mind living in any of them given the chance. I didn't include Las Vegas, as I've never been there.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
No it's not. Miami and Las Vegas have nothing in common. What are you on?!

The only city imo that is somewhat comparable to Miami is Los Angeles.

But Las Vegas, as tacky as it is, is really unique and there is no other city in the U.S. like it.
I think that what they were trying to say....was that ( Miami and Las Vegas Lost Wages ) are Easy To Party In Cities , as a matter of fact it's easier to find the parties in Miami and Las Vegas than NYC , LA and Chi-Town three cities with more partying going on in it's city proper and Metro's....

Miami and Los Angeles are a lot alike because they both worship the human body and sex........

Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Phoenix was established by Easterners and Midwesterners looking to escape harsh winters.
Not quite. Official Site of the City of Phoenix - History

Anyway, I would vote Phoenix. Tuscon is small and boring. Las Vegas is a s***hole. I wonder how many people venture off the strip because outside of the touristy areas, it is rundown and ugly. The best food is in those areas though, I must admit. My friend had her IPhone stolen and we tracked it into the Las Vegas ghetto via iCloud and I can safely say I would never, ever live there. Albuquerque is a close second but it is more a place to relax and retire. I can't see myself living there until I'm older.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM

432 posts, read 610,606 times
Los Angeles..

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Where's Denver? The Front Range is considered high desert.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,843 times
Just a fun fact, going by the 10" rain rule. You guys have to include snow. Just take the number inches of snow that falls and divide by 3 (that's the amount of water you get out).

Using that rule, El Paso and ABQ are eliminated along with Tucson. The fact is El Paso and ABQ get more moisture than Tucson, just some of their moisture comes as snow.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM

252 posts, read 736,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Just a fun fact, going by the 10" rain rule. You guys have to include snow. Just take the number inches of snow that falls and divide by 3 (that's the amount of water you get out).

Using that rule, El Paso and ABQ are eliminated along with Tucson. The fact is El Paso and ABQ get more moisture than Tucson, just some of their moisture comes as snow.
Nah, they're definitely desert cities.

Anyway, I voted for Albuquerque
It's up and coming, best SW city for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City