Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM

36 posts, read 128,691 times

Advertisements

Not much different. I moved to South Florida 10 years ago, eveyone on my street, except 1 couple, are from New York...................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,752,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Their parents gotta work everyday, how on earth would they manage to go nearly everyday??? And you're talking 2 cities in Florida. That's a big state.
Its easy. They have friends with cars, parents drop them off, parents' friends drop them off, friends parents drop them off, older siblings with cars drop them off, they live within walking distance, they ride a bike, ect, ect, ect. Its not that hard to figure out

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
All I can speak about is my personal experiences from my short time in Orlando Florida. In the summer you would not even see children playing outside because of the brutal extreme heat. Here in NJ I see kids all over the place enjoying their summers and not stuck inside their homes. BTW, you also see English tourists burnt beyond belief from the extreme sun.
How would you even know if kids were playing outside or not? you were prolly in the tourist area where families don't usually live. I grew up in FL and all the neighborhood kids and I played outside pretty much every day in the summer. Even when it stormed we just sat in the garage for about 30 mins til it stopped and played outside more until it was night. And i still see kids playing outside everyday now. And yea, the english tourist always get burned bad when there here because they're used to overcast climates almost everyday..

Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
It is now 1:30 and the kids on my street are not outside. There is no car in the driveway in the house across the street, but they have young teenagers so Mom may be out shopping, or working, and the older daughter maybe be babsitting her younger brother. The other family's car is there. I don't hear them in the pool right now.

If I cannot believe my eyes, then I will just have to go with what the kids themselves have told me before summer vacation, or coming back from summer vacation. Most of them said they mostly stayed home, went to the beach on weekends, and a few went to Mexico or Michigan to stay with their grandparents for a few weeks.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
When people from cold climates move to places like the American South, they have a tendency to avoid the seasonal acclimation to heat that the natives are used to.

White people of northern european descent have lived in the American South for hundreds of years without air conditioning. Terms like "oppressive" or "unbearable" do not refer to the climate, they refer to that individual's unwillingness (or inability) to adapt to the climate. Which is fine, that's a preference - but it should not be treated as a fact that the heat is 'unbearable'.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM

My neighbors across the street are Mexican/Americans who have lived their entire lives in South Florida. Their kids are not outside during the summer in the day.

I worked with two Mexican (started their lives there) little girls last year. You know what? Even they used to complain about the heat. When it was hot outside, one girl refused to play. She would sit for the entire recess. I supposed even young children, no matter where they are from or what their heritage is, get used to being in AC. They will also stay inside for hours playing on the computer, if they are allowed to do that.

It is just a sign of the times we live in.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The humidity is so thick that I find it more difficult to breathe down there
That's impossible, since humidity actually HELPS your respiratory system with actions like breathing.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In Upstate, you have the Adirondacks, the wine country in the Finger Lakes region, you have two Great Lakes which have beaches(I know, it is different) and nice tourist communities like Sackets Harbor and Oswego, among others, the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Boxing Hall of Fame, the National Soccer Hall of Fame, Amusement Parks like Darien Lake and the Great Escape, the 1000 Islands Region and much more. Look up communities like Skaneateles, Sylvan Beach, Alexandria Bay, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Ithaca, Canandaigua, Penn Yan, Corning, Saratoga Springs and Cooperstown.

Also, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany aren't that bad.

Long Island has beaches and nice toruisty communities too.

Also, where I live, you can get to other places like Philly, Toronto, Montreal, DC, Baltimore, Boston and Cleveland, among others, within 5-6 hours.

Here's a good place to look to see what there is to do in NY State:I LOVE NEW YORK - The Official New York State Tourism Website
national soccer hall of fame= oneonta, baby! 52 bars in one small little crazy town. That says it all for me right there!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
FL is only extremely hot and humid from June-September (only 4 months). October-April it is bearable (8 months). Oct, Nov, and April, its dry warmth, very little rain, with highs in the 70s/low 80s so it doesn't feel bad. Jan Feb and March is when its perfect cool, sunny weather, when the highs rang from the 50s to the 70's and the lows range from the 50's to the 40s, sometimes 30s, and MAYBE once or twice a year it will get down in the 20s.
Until you get a hurricane

Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM

Default It can level it for all I care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Until you get a hurricane
That will probably be the only way I can get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City