Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yeah, right. Tell it to someone who never benn to Chicago. Winter here is 7 months, from November to May. Only the last few days have been nice, other than this it is still winter. And no, there are is no spring and fall in Chicago or they are so short you barely notice, it is either very hot or very cold here.
? It's been 60's, 70's and 80's for 15 of the past 17 days and hasn't dipped below freezing in a month. You still concider that winter? The past week was all 71 to 77. I think that's about perfect, especially for spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:38 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
As far as weather, anyone can go to check average highs and lows of every city for every month of the year. I did that and posted it several months ago, (for NYC and Chicago - they were extremely close for every month - within a couple of degrees for most months). San Francisco was not in the equation then, but obviously the weather there would be much better. I can find it again if necessary. No one has to believe what some people are posting for weather - they can find the facts for themselves.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
As far as weather, anyone can go to check average highs and lows of every city for every month of the year.
You can do even better than that and check actual temps (high and low) plus conditions for every DAY going back several years on some sites. (weather underground comes to mind)

Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Wow, you're ignorant. It must be a California thing.

As someone else already commented, the Midwest has plenty of Asians, more specifically, Hmong people who come from countries like Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Burma.
Apparently ignorance must be a Milwaukee thing too since you just blanketed a whole state based on one person's comment, while referencing another CA person's comment that just countered it. I was actually riding with you b/c I didn't like how the snobbery was being thrown your way, but now you're just validating what that other poster had said. Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
It seems like the people in SF always have to count the entire Bay Area because the city has nothing to stand on, on its own. Like when I say things like only 7% of SF's total population is African-American, which is far lower than the national average. You guys jump in and say what about Oakland? Nobody else does this. If I were to insult NYC, they wouldn't bring Newark or New Haven into the conversation. Why can't we have a discussion strictly about major cities? Why do you guys rely so heavily on the accomplishments of your suburbs?
And it seems like people who want to bash SF always have to try and pry it apart from the rest of the Bay Area in order to find any weakness. Its pathetic, really. The City is intertwined with the rest of the Bay Area no matter how you want to look at it. If it's going to be compared to any other city, and the discussion requires that city limits are enforced, then comparisons should only be drawn between SF and other cities that are comparable in size, like Seattle, San Jose, DC and Indianapolis. Comparing SF's 47 square miles and 750,000 people to the largest cities in the nation like NYC, LA and Chicago make no sense if you are not talking about SF's metro. The metro region interacts and functions as a whole; its not like our local news is about what goes on within SF's boundaries only! If you're going to limit what can be included in what exactly is SF, then choose a control area of Chicago that's comparable in size and make the comparison. Otherwise, quit crying.

And that is absolutey untrue what you stated about other cities not including things from their metros. You need to read more of these threads if you think the Bay Area is the only place that does this.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm further convinced that he is most likely unemployed (why else could he be so bitter) living vicariously in a cyber fantasy.
Lol I agree.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Wowwww euro is exactly like HSW but even worse!!!

How is that even possible?? What is in that SF water you guys are drinking?
As I've already stated, euros is definitely NOT FROM SF. Here are some memorable quotes from an interaction I had with him/her on another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
I have been to San Francisco many times and it is not on the same caliber as NY. It lacks nightlife, glamor, shopping, top notch galleries, museums and restaurants (in comparison to New York). It's a nice town, but small and a little provincial for me.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but San Francisco is at the bottom when it comes to world class city. Top world class = NY, Paris, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong.
Quote:
LOL, Absolutely ridiculous. I suppose you all aren't privileged enough to enjoy a nice weekend away but I am. Poor things.

New York to Paris is only 7 hours., New York to Madrid is only 6.5 hours, versus New York to San Francisco for nearly 6 hours. So a weekend trip to California is OK, but OMG a weekend trip to Paris is unheard of! "He must be a troll!"

What is it that surprises you, the cost? Just because you're not accustomed to certain experiences, doesn't make them fiction. Silly people.
Quote:
San Francisco is a contender to New York? What's next, is Orlando a contender to Paris? Birmingham to Rome?
Quote:
San Francisco "Fashion Week" (LOL) is non-existent since I have absolutely no idea what it is and I'm willing to wager anyone with a serious fashion career would be embarrassed to be seen at such a place.
Still think he's from SF??? (I'll just assume its male here to make typing easier.) Not that I think he's necessarily a reformed SF-basher, but he clearly did not identify with this place so strongly just a few months ago. He's obviously just a troll from who-cares-where and he likes to play the role of elitist/superior who can talk down to whomever or whatever city he feels like at any particular moment. Today, he's making Chicago the victim of his "wrath." Lol how lame.

And Euros is definitely NOT dementor. Here are two examples of both of them on the same thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And leave it at that guys. For me SF is a marvel: an East Coast/European kind of city in the the West. Compared to suburbian LA SF is simply unbelievable. If I was to move to the West I would chose SF w/o hesitation.
Quote:
Nothing goes on in SF. No premiers, no media, no media events, no international elite, no celebrities, no galas on the scale as NY, no sports events, no fashion weeks, nothing!
These were w/o a doubt not written by the same person.

Here's the link to that thread: New York City vs. San Francisco.

So please, know this individual for what he/she/it is and don't view it as a representative of the SF Bay Area. Not only is this thing not from here, but it's only siding with the area in this discussion to use it as an elitist platform. Please do not lump it in with the rest of us. Same goes for HSW who also is not a native of this area.

Last edited by jman650; 05-09-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
Apparently people on this thread do not know how to count. If winter is from mid-nov to mid-april than thats 5 months not 6. And april isn't nasty, its warmer than november. It snows a tiny-bit, if even and even after mid march snow really isnt too common. After Christmas to early/mid march is what's nasty.
And frankly, I'd rather bundle up in the winter and wear shorts in the summer, than wear a coat year round. I was in San Francisco in August and people were wearing like light winter coats. One night i wore just a polo, without a sweater and was freezing!!! In chicago you could wear shorts and a tee shirt and be pleasantly warm on an August night.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
So please, know this individual for what he/she/it is and don't view it as a representative of the SF Bay Area. Not only is this thing not from here, but it's only siding with the area in this discussion to use it as an elitist platform. Please do not lump it in with the rest of us. Same goes for HSW who also is not a native of this area.
Are you still upset about our silly little exchange? When did it take place, a year ago? High perf. cars shouldn't even be kept that long as they become absolute/archaic/undesirable when driven for > 11 mos. on road . Things change and it's about time you get used to the fact that whenever you dare enter an exchange with me, I'll be forced to do anything to shut you down and put you in your place, even if it involves me talking down such an astonishing conglomerate of high-producing/successful/enlightened people i.e. San Francisco/Woodside/Atherton.

Ones of your class could argue that your negative anti-wealth/class warfare views of the top 1% (i.e. the producers) could be justified . After all, your non-existent status would probably behoove you to feel inadequate and envious when I pass you in high perf. car on scenic 280 en route to one of my late night soirees in Pac. Heights.

IIRC, my prev posts weren't meant to offend - just share my class' alternate perspective on society from atop my hillside community.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

And chicagos beaches, while not as beautiful as San Franciscos, are more accessible, and are warmer!!! Who wants to freeze their ass and then get eaten by sharks on Stinson Beach, or some beach in SAN Fran
Here's some pics

Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM

eurous1, you must be nouveau riche (guessing by your general ignorance, you probably don't know that means new money in French). Anyone can flaunt what they have, but it's a virtue to be humble and act with class. People of high society think you're trying to hard, and the honest, hardworking people just think you're a disrespectful, inconsiderate and unclassy person. You and you're nouveaux riches friends (presuming you have any), should leave, so the upper class, middle class and working men can live without some invalid showing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City