Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jacksonville vs. Louisville
Jacksonville, FL 53 55.79%
Louisville, KY 42 44.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Nice work on the demos. I am impressed. However I was thinking more in terms of the county populations of those cities. It is a well known fact that cities have heavier black populations in the center, and heavier white populations in the burbs. Jefferson county KY is only about 20% black where as Mecklenburg county NC (Charlotte) is about 30% black. 10% is huge when you consider the fact that Mecklenburg has almost 200,000 more people to start with.

BTW, don't take offense to the 'Kentucky Belle' thing. I like it. I was just trying to start a little fight so this thread won't be so BORING.

One more thing, don't get your stats from Wiki. Do like me and get them directly from the US census.

State and County QuickFacts

The Census stats are from 2000, before the city-county merger here in Jeferson County. The wiki stats are newer, and once I used wiki, I felt like I needed to use it for all. As far as the Kentucky Belle thing, I really didn't notice I still had it. You can start a fight all you want, a lady doesn't start them, but they can finish (from the old Disney movie, Aristocats )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
I'm sorry, I did notice that there is 2007 stats on there too and here they are:

White persons, percent, 2007 (a) 76.2%

Black persons, percent, 2007 (a) 20.3%

pretty dang close to what I posted

Last edited by missymomof3; 06-19-2009 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,105 times
LOUISVILLE NATIVE BORN AND RAISED...... Louisville has a extremely high crime rate. We are in the top 5 in the US. Every time we read the news, someone else has gotten shot. It has been a vast amount of crimes in the downtown/westend area. Louisville is not a bad place to live but there are a lot of things to be careful about. 4th Street live is a joke. Especially at night. It adopted a dress code that was catered to keeping out African Americans. The night life here is not the great with all the crimes being committed. A lot of people are partying in more diverse areas like St Matthews, J-Town, etc. As it is a high income area and has less crime. The job market is not that great!! We have a few good companies and that is only if you can get a interview because they promote within a lot. So job market is not here depending on your field. If you are younger and looking for tons of things to do and excitement, job opportunities and etc then I would choose Jacksonville. But if you a little older, looking for a less busy city, great eatery then I would choose Louisville if that is your only other option.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Two cities that are in the same tier and are close by any measure you slice it. I have family from Jacksonville and have known plenty of people from Louisville--a coworker is moving there later this year. I don't have much of an interest in either, but I'd probably defer to Louisville for two reasons: it seemingly does urban better, and its weather is preferable being that it is further north than Jacksonville...

I will add that within the tier, Jacksonville is right behind Louisville and gaining ground quickly. At the current pace Jacksonville is probably only a half-decade or so from leaping Louisville, as it's growing faster everywhere and already has comparable amenities. Louisville still has a slight advantage for the urban infrastructure and it's amount of cultural festivities, but Jax isn't far behind...

Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I prefer Jacksonville

Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I prefer Jax for location and weather, although Louisville seems to have a bit more momentum right now.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
This one is tough, I would choose Jacksonville, however. Jacksonville is different from the other cities I am used to. I prefer warmer weather to dreary, dark and gloomy days. I also like that it is close to other destinations in Florida.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
If go with Louisville even though I've never been. Outside of the beaches, I don't like Jax much.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:06 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
These are two of my favorite cities. I refuse to choose.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Two cities that are in the same tier and are close by any measure you slice it. I have family from Jacksonville and have known plenty of people from Louisville--a coworker is moving there later this year. I don't have much of an interest in either, but I'd probably defer to Louisville for two reasons: it seemingly does urban better, and its weather is preferable being that it is further north than Jacksonville...

I will add that within the tier, Jacksonville is right behind Louisville and gaining ground quickly. At the current pace Jacksonville is probably only a half-decade or so from leaping Louisville, as it's growing faster everywhere and already has comparable amenities. Louisville still has a slight advantage for the urban infrastructure and it's amount of cultural festivities, but Jax isn't far behind...
Really? I was in Jax for a week and it was completely dead. I mean, so dead in the urban core that not even a car was seen driving around on multiple different nights at 9 pm.

If you are a fan of urban, food, arts, culture, coffee, and architecture, Louisville wins this in a landslide. Like, its not even close. Also in terms of urban vibrancy. There is no nice way to put it that urban Jacksonville is at least 10 years behind most other downtowns. Some troll from Louisville posted some fake stuff about 4th St live and Louisville, but at least its occupied and has pedestrian traffic. Compare that to Jacksonville Landing which is half vacant and very tired looking, and its no comparison (I realize literally no one from Jax goes there any more)

Their suburbs are similar, but Jax has some bigger and better ones. Ask everyone where to head out at night in Jax and they will send you to St John's Town Center, a glorified strip mall 20 mins from downtown (ok its a nice lifestyle center, just not my thing, and very anti urban).

Jax beach scene offers something unlike anything anywhere near Louisville.

Take away Jax beach and Louisville simply crushes Jax. Jax has one of the worst urban cores in the southeast, I hate to say. Its the only one will yo uwill still find 20 story shelled out historic beauties that have sat vacant for years.

The amount of gentrification and urbanization in Riverside, San Marco, and Five Points combined cannot compare to the Highlands of Louisville alone.

Throw in all of urban Louisville, from Old Louisville to downtown, nulu, to butchertown, clifton to crescent hill, to germantown, and even to downtown new albany and Jeffersonille IN, and this is not a good comparison as far as arts, walking, and historic culture. Louisville's better and more numerous festivals are icing on the cake.

Jax also seems to have many more racial problems than Louisville, and its urban core development is significantly more hodge podge. Louisville's urban core has substantially more construction going on. Jax has a nice elevated people mover, yet it is used mostly by homeless and vagrants, and I even had a nice conversation with a homeless black man about all the racial problems and "white cops" beating black men. The conversation on the skyway was very offputting. I could see very clearly the racial strife, and found it odd that the skyway seemed mostly used by african americans, even during daytime lunch.

I am not meaning to bash Jax. The weather, the tax situation, and the awesome beach towns are great for a young professional. But certain northern city types will find it very unbecoming, and Louisville is a much better option for us transplanted "southerners"

The only way Louisville is losing this poll is it is not very well known, it is further north and landlocked, and it is in KY, which does have some downsides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City