Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times

Advertisements

To anyone who cares I'll give you a tour.

inside the Westin Bonaventure Hotel

Walt Disney Concert Hall from a back angel

Westin Bonaventure outside view

Aon tower

Bunker Hill towers

Central Library

Millennium Biltmore Hotel

the infamous Pershing Square

atrium of the hotel I showed you first

central library top

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Threads like this are annoying..

And ohhhhh my LA has a sucky downtown and so does Phoenix and Albuquerque blah blah blah!!!!

Take that back.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
Yes. I am tired of this. What's the point of always discussing downtown anyways? Cities that have a lame downtown all have an alternative place for shopping and entertainment, as long as they are large enough. It is more according to the city size in terms of what to do and what it can offer. There are several variations but generally the larger the metro area is, the more it can offer. For example, though Detroit is economically depressing, the shopping at Somerset Collection in its suburb Troy is still fabulous, only second to Chicago in Midwest, which is in accordance to its size. Whether the stuff are in downtown or not, it is just the lifestyle of the people in that city and a representation of how the geographic of the city limited the developed areas in the history. All the largest cities have fabulous shopping, dining and entertainment options. You just have to find them somewhere. They are not necessarily downtown, and there is no problem with that. Smaller cities usually have less options, again whether they are downtown or not. It doesn't matter. For smaller cities, if they wanna be more prominent, the best bet is to attract a larger population, therefore form a larger market. Then everything will go there.

On the other hand, more importantly, most vibrant downtowns are vibrant only because they put the shopping/dining/entertainment district right next to their financial district. This is usually due to some geographical/historical reason. It is not a big trick. The financial districts in the US are unanimously boring. They are usually just a few lifeless skysrapers in every city and they are easily recognizable however vibrant its neighbors might be. Whether it is Back Bay of Boston or Union Square of SF, they are close to the financial district but they are not in there. You can totally take that part out and not affect the financial district at all. They don't blend so well after all. So some cities decided to take the fun part (shopping/dining/entertainment) out of downtown and put it somewhere else and leave downtown solely as the financial district, what's the big deal and what's the huge difference that is worthy so much disscussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Threads like this are annoying..

There is going to be a fight between Chicago and New York.. New York will win.
And ohhhhh my LA has a sucky downtown and so does Phoenix and Albuquerque blah blah blah!!!!

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-02-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 PM

258 posts, read 325,231 times
Why even go here? Anyone who would even suggest anything other than New York is disingenous. It's like starting a category largest planet, or best golfer alive, or coldest state.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
What city do you think has the best downtown? Which has the best architecture, style, most vibrant, best restaurants, etc.?
My top five:

1. Chicago (tie)
1. New York (tie)
3. Nashville
4. Philadelphia
4. Pittsburgh

Yes, let's not let this thread devolve into a pissing match between Chicago and NYC. They are both great cities.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
To anyone who cares I'll give you a tour.

inside the Westin Bonaventure Hotel

Walt Disney Concert Hall from a back angel

Westin Bonaventure outside view

Aon tower

Bunker Hill towers

Central Library

Millennium Biltmore Hotel

the infamous Pershing Square

atrium of the hotel I showed you first

central library top

Los Angeles' downtown looks very much like the office park areas around O'Hare Airport. Cool pictures though.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
You do realize there are places that exist outside of where you have been, right?

San Francisco and Boston both beat #3,4,5 easily....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
My top five:

1. Chicago (tie)
1. New York (tie)
3. Nashville
4. Philadelphia
4. Pittsburgh

Yes, let's not let this thread devolve into a pissing match between Chicago and NYC. They are both great cities.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Los Angeles' downtown looks very much like the office park areas around O'Hare Airport. Cool pictures though.
And that's half of what's in downtown L.A.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
Let's face it, there is a huge North-South divide in this country from east to west. No cities in the south can actually pretend to be real cities.

LA is the one city that really tries, or at least want to feel, like it is a true city. And in many ways it outdoes Miami, Atlanta, and Houston in terms of being an actual city. But is isn't...NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Philly, etc--these are real cities. Cities in the South of this country (and I don't mean 'the south' as a region, I mean literally the southern half) just arent' quite there yet...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
NYC... thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City