Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I'm from NJ and I voted for Mass. Sorry Jersians!

They are both pretty similar in a lot of ways, but I had to go with MA because there you won't get arrested for buying/selling milk fresh off the farm.
If you prefer Mass. then why do you choose to live in NJ???

If I preferred somewhere else, I'd be living there. Of course, I think all too often people's actions speak much louder than their words...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times
As a state NJ overall has more character than Mass. If you notice the replies of those who picked Mass they all listed Boston or areas around Boston as to why they think it's better. I've never been and I'm certain it's a very nice place, but NJ is more than just a place to live, it's a state of mind.

One thing that differentiates NJ from Mass is identity. Outside of Boston very little is known about the state itself whereas in Jersey almost every area of the state has received some sort of media coverage, whether it be in TV, movies, commercials, music, whatever.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
As a state NJ overall has more character than Mass. If you notice the replies of those who picked Mass they all listed Boston or areas around Boston as to why they think it's better. I've never been and I'm certain it's a very nice place, but NJ is more than just a place to live, it's a state of mind.

One thing that differentiates NJ from Mass is identity. Outside of Boston very little is known about the state itself whereas in Jersey almost every area of the state has received some sort of media coverage, whether it be in TV, movies, commercials, music, whatever.
Please explain how New Jersey has more character and is more of a "state of mind." I'm curious.

Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I was unaware that every part of New Jersey has received media attention in pop culture. I also think it is unfair to say that outside of Boston, very little of the state of MA is known. Cape Cod and the Islands are very popular tourist destinations, as are the Berkshires and Cape Ann. I don't know what you mean about New Jersey having more of an identity; Massachusetts has a strong identity as well.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Please explain how New Jersey has more character and is more of a "state of mind." I'm curious.

Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I was unaware that every part of New Jersey has received media attention in pop culture. I also think it is unfair to say that outside of Boston, very little of the state of MA is known. Cape Cod and the Islands are very popular tourist destinations, as are the Berkshires and Cape Ann. I don't know what you mean about New Jersey having more of an identity; Massachusetts has a strong identity as well.
When people think of NJ for the most part they think of a blue collar, working class, tough guy, take no crap from anyone type of place. Chalk it up to the music of Springsteen, Joe Pesci, the mob/Italians, the industrious look and feel of most of Northeast Jersey, the diner culture, there's a plethora of things to choose from. You don't get that feeling from Mass and I think a lot of it has to do with the influence the Kennedy's have up there.

Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard are well known but they fall under that Boston sphere of influence.

The problem that Mass has is the same problem Georgia has.......it's defined mainly by one city. You make one place in your state the focal point and what interest are people going to have with the rest of the state?

New Jersey doesn't have that flagship city that dominates them. It's a state of mid-sized urban cities and small suburban towns. That forces you to pay attention to the ENTIRE state.

The simplest way I can put it is like this. If you ask someone from Mass where they are from, if they're from Boston they will say Boston. Anywhere else they will say the town then Mass. If you ask some from New Jersey where they are from they will say JERSEY without hesitation regardless of where in the state they are from and people will accept it.

That's not a knock on Mass at all....it's just that the NJ as a state is more well known than Mass is as a state. Whether it's good or bad everyone has an opinion about NJ.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
When people think of NJ for the most part they think of a blue collar, working class, tough guy, take no crap from anyone type of place. Chalk it up to the music of Springsteen, Joe Pesci, the mob/Italians, the industrious look and feel of most of Northeast Jersey, the diner culture, there's a plethora of things to choose from. You don't get that feeling from Mass and I think a lot of it has to do with the influence the Kennedy's have up there.
I was going to reply to this...but I just remember I need to iron my khakis and pick up my blue blazer from the cleaners...

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
FYI Nauticadon. Two of the last three US Presidents would probably be surprised to know that the place that they vacation is strictly for Bostonians.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
When people think of NJ for the most part they think of a blue collar, working class, tough guy, take no crap from anyone type of place. Chalk it up to the music of Springsteen, Joe Pesci, the mob/Italians, the industrious look and feel of most of Northeast Jersey, the diner culture, there's a plethora of things to choose from.
I've always found that many people directly associate New Jersey with NYC. People tend to give New Jersey an unnecessary amount of bad press, but I do agree they're often thought of as tough, working class, Italians...they are also thought of as being very flashy (which I suppose is in part to the Italian culture).

Quote:
You don't get that feeling from Mass and I think a lot of it has to do with the influence the Kennedy's have up there.
So Bruce Springsteen and Joe Peschi make a state more interesting...but the Kennedy's, who are without question more famous and influential (obviously all for different reasons) do not. Massachusetts is also known for its large amount of tough, working class Irish (my friend from New Jersey and I have joked that whenever we have visited each other, our areas are pretty similar except where I am is all Irish people and where he is it's all Italian).

Quote:
Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard are well known but they fall under that Boston sphere of influence.
How does Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket fall under "that Boston sphere of influence"?? That really makes no sense whatsoever. There's nothing "Boston" about the Cape or either of the islands other than the fact that you still see Red Sox hats a lot (and also a bunch of Yankees ones too since many New Yorkers vacation here).

Quote:
The problem that Mass has is the same problem Georgia has.......it's defined mainly by one city. You make one place in your state the focal point and what interest are people going to have with the rest of the state?
That's the first time I've ever heard a great city was detrimental to a state.

Quote:
New Jersey doesn't have that flagship city that dominates them. It's a state of mid-sized urban cities and small suburban towns. That forces you to pay attention to the ENTIRE state.
Yea but people generally only have one opinion of New Jersey. Like we mentioned before, it's the hard-working, Italian, etc etc image. However, that's doesn't represent all of New Jersey, just the Northern part of it. People are much different down in Cape May, Princeton, etc. So if people (mainly) think of only one section of New Jersey and its culture, how is that any more representative of the state than people only thinking of Boston when describing Massachusetts?

Quote:
The simplest way I can put it is like this. If you ask someone from Mass where they are from, if they're from Boston they will say Boston. Anywhere else they will say the town then Mass. If you ask some from New Jersey where they are from they will say JERSEY without hesitation regardless of where in the state they are from and people will accept it.
I agree with that. When I was at school I would say I was from "the Boston area", versus all the New Jerseyans (is that how you say/spell it?) who would just say they were from Jersey.

Quote:
That's not a knock on Mass at all....it's just that the NJ as a state is more well known than Mass is as a state. Whether it's good or bad everyone has an opinion about NJ.
I still don't agree. You could make the argument that New York is absolutely dominated by one city, but people still know about other areas in the state. Just because Boston is the first thing that comes to mind when people think of Massachusetts doesn't mean they don't know about places like Lexington, Plymouth, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, or Nantucket.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM

^ I totally agree.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
By the way, sweet pics Dem! I actually live right near Hull (in Scituate), it's a great area.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
By the way, sweet pics Dem! I actually live right near Hull (in Scituate), it's a great area.
Thanks! And yea, the South Shore is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City