Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times

Advertisements

My post has nothing to do with Boston, Houston, Denver, or Seattle, or whether or not the Pew is conservative. So half of this is irrelevant.

It does, however, have everything to do with you saying Portland is more popular than Atlanta for most young professionals, for which I have provided evidence to the contrary.

We've already stated that those reasons for Atlanta's popularity OVER Portland and other cities extend beyond economic ones and I supported that with published articles on that issue already and I'm over it. The issue being discussed now, based on your assertion that most young professionals prefer Portland over Atlanta, is that you are misguided, which I have supported as well.

PD, you sound like you've got some pent up anger, because you are getting really hyped up over nothing. What's with the caps and exclamation points? Seriously, it's just an internet forum, people disagree with you (as well as the Census Bureau, et al), it's all good homie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Have you even been reading this thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post10970724

I pointed out how ridiculous the claim is that the Pew center is conservatively biased when it's touting some of the most liberal cities in America as the places people want to move.

(^^^ He never responded to that either, if you didn't notice). If it's conservative, yet it speaks highly of white, liberal cities, then that either makes it A) unbiased or B) racist.

Ummm.....you do realize that in the link you provided, Boston, Seattle, and Denver are all above Atlanta and that Houston and Dallas didn't even make the list, right? That is proving my point.

Yes, we've been over this at least 4 times already in this thread. The fact that people are moving to Atlanta, Houston, etc. is not in dispute. The reasons behind their moves are what we have been discussing.

I am speaking for the people who responded to the Pew survey? I am speaking for the Wall Street Journal? You did see the graph they provided from the Brookings Institute (CONSERVATIVE!!!!111111111) which showed that from 2005-2007 Portland attracted almost as many people 25 and older who hold bachelor's degrees as Houston, despite being less than half the size, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
(^^^ He never responded to that either, if you didn't notice). If it's conservative, yet it speaks highly of white, liberal cities, then that either makes it A) unbiased or B) racist.
It is obviously biased, not only does Pew have a reputation for being conservative, the list is slanted to one ethnic group. c'mon while whites are still in the majority in regards to population, they don’t make up as big a percentage of young professionals as they used to. And you can’t sit here and tell me a Hispanic person who just graduated from college would want to move to Portland or Boston. I would take Austin maybe as it's in Texas, but from talking to my Hispanic friends Dallas and Miami seem to be their destination of choice. Asians make up a good chunk of current college grads, and while I don’t really know any Asian people that well to know, my guess would be they would pick LA or Houston as their destination of choice. Once again your acting like just because recent white college grads like Denver, Boston, Portland, and Austin as their choice destination, then that means everyone else likes it and that is not the case. And even that’s debatable as my white friends never mention those cities except for Austin; I hear NYC, Dallas, and SF more than anything. Dallas really IMO is viewed by whites the same way that blacks view Atlanta- as the place to be. I have heard whites talk about Dallas more than any of those cities, including your hometown, which I only hear about when people talk about good weed or Nike

Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Lol..it's that ATL connection. Thanks for the reps guys. At least some of y'all are getting it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Thanks biz, you said what I wanted to say. Most of the rep points I send out on here go in your direction, lol.....

*EDIT*

Damn it says I cant even rep you anymore as I have done it so much already...............

Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
It is obviously biased, not only does Pew have a reputation for being conservative, the list is slanted to one ethnic group. c'mon while whites are still in the majority in regards to population, they don’t make up as big a percentage of young professionals as they used to. And you can’t sit here and tell me a Hispanic person who just graduated from college would want to move to Portland or Boston. I would take Austin maybe as it's in Texas, but from talking to my Hispanic friends Dallas and Miami seem to be their destination of choice. Asians make up a good chunk of current college grads, and while I don’t really know any Asian people that well to know, my guess would be they would pick LA or Houston as their destination of choice. Once again your acting like just because recent white college grads like Denver, Boston, Portland, and Austin as their choice destination, then that means everyone else likes it and that is not the case. And even that’s debatable as my white friends never mention those cities except for Austin; I hear NYC, Dallas, and SF more than anything. Dallas really IMO is viewed by whites the same way that blacks view Atlanta- as the place to be. I have heard whites talk about Dallas more than any of those cities, including your hometown, which I only hear about when people talk about good weed or Nike
I think most people (asian, white, black, hispanic) end up moving where the jobs are (like Houston, Atlanta, Carolinas, etc). Atlanta is the center for black culture, so that's where blacks probably like. Southern California is the center (or at least largest concentration) of hispanic culture in the U.S., so maybe that's where they want to be. Asians? There's a lot in California and New York so maybe there... Whites live anywhere since this is still primarily a white country.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
My post has nothing to do with Boston, Houston, Denver, or Seattle, or whether or not the Pew is conservative. So half of this is irrelevant.

It does, however, have everything to do with you saying Portland is more popular than Atlanta for most young professionals, for which I have provided evidence to the contrary.

We've already stated that those reasons for Atlanta's popularity OVER Portland and other cities extend beyond economic ones and I supported that with published articles on that issue already and I'm over it. The issue being discussed now, based on your assertion that most young professionals prefer Portland over Atlanta, is that you are misguided, which I have supported as well.

PD, you sound like you've got some pent up anger, because you are getting really hyped up over nothing. What's with the caps and exclamation points? Seriously, it's just an internet forum, people disagree with you (as well as the Census Bureau, et al), it's all good homie.
I haven't been singling out Portland and Atlanta. I've been discussing groups of cities, like hip places that young people like living in (Portland, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Austin, etc.) and the cities where people move because of the good jobs (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta).

Lol, re-read the passage with the caps and exclamations points. That wasn't me being serious, that was me showing how YMJ would react to an unbiased statistic that disagrees with his beliefs.

And as for your "evidence" that Atlanta is more popular than Portland all you've provided is a link that shows how black people prefer Atlanta (which I admit is true) and the Forbes article which talks about how Atlanta is good for grads because of its economy...exactly what you've been arguing is not true.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 10-01-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I haven't been singling out Portland and Atlanta.
Umm..
Quote:
Most young professionals would rather live in Portland than Atlanta. Not difficult to understand.
Quote:
Atlanta is good for grads because of its economy...exactly what you've been arguing is not true.
I definitely did not say this. I definitely did say that there are other reasons that are predominant for young professionals in choosing Atlanta besides money.

I've already disputed everything you've just addressed with studies that don't just talk about Black people. Your short term memory and propensity for putting words in people's mouths is confounding me.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Umm..
Umm...yes. As evidenced by your ignorance of YMJ's previous comments regarding the Pew center it is clear you haven't read through the thread. If you had, you would see this is not a discussion about Portland and Atlanta only - if it is, it's in your head.

Quote:
I've already disputed everything you've just addressed with studies that don't just talk about Black people. Your short term memory and propensity for putting words in people's mouths is confounding me.
Haha uh, you provided two articles, one from 2003 and the other from 2004, which off handedly mentioned Atlanta. The 2009 WSJ article I posted has numbers compiled by the Brookings Institute, which shows that, on average yearly, Austin and Seattle each added more college educated people over the age of 25 than Dallas and Houston (Seattle added more than Atlanta, and this is based on absolute numbers, not per capita) despite having much smaller populations. Portland brought in 7,000 per year with a metro of 2.21 million which is about 1 educated migrant per 315 people. With a population of 5.4 million, Atlanta added 12,400 per year which is 1 for every 435 people. And this is all despite Portland's stagnant economy and Atlanta's flourishing job market.

The end.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Umm...yes. As evidenced by your ignorance of YMJ's previous comments regarding the Pew center it is clear you haven't read through the thread. If you had, you would see this is not a discussion about Portland and Atlanta only - if it is, it's in your head. .
I've read through this entire thread and not once did I say that the entire discussion was about only Portland and Atlanta. You singled out Portland and Atlanta in one of your last posts, and I was responding to that, and that only.

Quote:
Haha uh, you provided two articles, one from 2003 and the other from 2004, which off handedly mentioned Atlanta. The 2009 WSJ article I posted has numbers compiled by the Brookings Institute, which shows that, on average yearly, Austin and Seattle each added more college educated people over the age of 25 than Dallas and Houston (Seattle added more than Atlanta, and this is based on absolute numbers, not per capita) despite having much smaller populations.
My discussion with you and your discussion with YMJ are two entirely different things. Once again, I said nothing about Austin and Seattle's popularity. I am talking about Portland and Atlanta only. I said that for the past several years (which is why articles from 2003 are included) Atlanta has been a bigger draw than Portland for young professionals.

Quote:
Portland brought in 7,000 per year with a metro of 2.21 million which is about 1 educated migrant per 315 people. With a population of 5.4 million, Atlanta added 12,400 per year which is 1 for every 435 people.
This says nothing about young professionals, the topic of this thread.

Quote:
Atlanta's flourishing job market
Wow...this takes the cake!

March, 2009- http://www.atlantarealestateforum.com/atlanta-home-builders-battle-georgia-unemployment-rate-10039/ "Georgia’s jobless rate is the highest we’ve seen since 1976, which is the year that the Federal Government made keeping track of the unemployment rates a standard...the highest in recorded history for Georgia."

I know you love Portland, but please refrain from outright lies. I'm actually surprised at this debate of yours. It's pretty well known that Atlanta is among the most popular in the country for college grads and young adults for a variety of reasons (yes, moreso than Portland and yes, for other reasons besides it being affordable). I'm wondering why it seems like deep down you don't want to give Atlanta credit, even with the facts staring right in front of you. Are you just ignorant of the ATL?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Of course I lack reading comprehension. I live in the South, right? West Coast condescension and a few 'links' don't amount to a hill of beans in my book (yes, I do read them from time to time).
This is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!"

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Living in an ethnic-minority enclave has distorted your perceptions of the migration patterns in our country. You seem to be struggling with the fact that there is a whole country outside of the southeast. Of course you don't hear much about cities in the west, just like I as a Seattle resident hardly ever hear anyone talking about Atlanta, Houston et al.

Regional preferences, is that a hard concept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City