Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas vs. Florida vs. California
Texas 280 37.99%
Florida 123 16.69%
California 334 45.32%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Maybe Californians are just more highly evolved and less reactionary.
I guess you never met Dana Rohrabacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I guess you never met Dana Rohrabacher.

You mean that drunken, lazy, self-entitled, filthy, blithering toad who has never held a real job in his entire life? An apt representative for HB.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I think it's because, well... I don't want to sound like I'm generalizaing because I know not all Southern people are like this, by from my own experience in Florida and the South I noticed quite a bit of racism. No KKK type stuff, but I heard people, including my own cousins who live there, talking bad about someone who was dating a black girl. They even used the N word, something that I hate. They told me that I was in the south so I better get used to how they did things. I hated it, I felt like I was out of place. It wasn't just them, many of the other people I met there had the same attitudes. Keep in mind not everyon , I know some very nice open minded people there, but from my own experience that's what I saw. West Coast, especially California, that kind of stuff never happens, it's rare and the people who do do it are pretty much condemned by the community. Everyone here mixes up and no one cares. That's how it should be everywhere.
Fair enough, though I've heard that parts of the West Coast could be racist. I hear that a lot from a lot of African-Americans, and even some white Americans who feel that its more racist than say, New York City or Chicago. Though I wonder if that's a function of the Black community's size.

Quote:
I came back to Oregon and decided to move down to California, where I have close family at also. And I'm living in the Bay Area, yes I'm a Conservative living about 30 minutes from San Francisco lol. I love this place, I don't want to live anywhere else. I have visited California before I moved, but I always felt drawn back to it. I love the natural beauty and great weather, I love the open mindedness and the vast opportunities, I love the energy/vibe and the hustle and bustle, I love the larger than life feel of it all, California IS the power state, by far the most important. Largest economy, largest population, largest culture and influence, this is the land of opportunity, this is the state of the movers and shakers. California is truly the promised land, at least IMO. I live here and visit the rest of my family up in Oregon. Works out great.
Why not move to SoCal where there are more Conservatives? I feel that the Conservatives out in the West Coast are more of the libertarian 'live and let live" types, rather than the Social Conservative. And isn't Oregon kinda far for at least like a day visit from the Bay Area?

Quote:
Politics is just one aspect. I would like to have a Conservative influence here, but I'm not going to move because of that. Many people outside here complain about the high cost of living, which is legitimate. But we also make more money here to compensate for it, so it works out.

The Eagles were right, you can check out of California but you can never leave. Even if I ever wanted to move I wouldn't, because I know I would be back here again. California just pulls people back here, it always does.
I guess I just need to go for myself.

I think between the three states, Florida is definitely the most politically moderate, even though California has the highest number of Republicans/Conservatives in the state. I always wondered if there is a large number of social conservatives but Democrats there, considering the marijuana and gay marriage initiative didn't pass there.

I was just wondering if any of that "doom and gloom" mantra the rest of the country has been fed the past 5 years is true, but from what it seems like, it is only true to some extent.

I wonder between the 3 states, which one is the most international? California and Texas are both relatively connected to Mexico, while Florida seems connected more toward the Caribbean.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Fair enough, though I've heard that parts of the West Coast could be racist. I hear that a lot from a lot of African-Americans, and even some white Americans who feel that its more racist than say, New York City or Chicago. Though I wonder if that's a function of the Black community's size.

Why not move to SoCal where there are more Conservatives? I feel that the Conservatives out in the West Coast are more of the libertarian 'live and let live" types, rather than the Social Conservative. And isn't Oregon kinda far for at least like a day visit from the Bay Area?

I guess I just need to go for myself.

I think between the three states, Florida is definitely the most politically moderate, even though California has the highest number of Republicans/Conservatives in the state. I always wondered if there is a large number of social conservatives but Democrats there, considering the marijuana and gay marriage initiative didn't pass there.

I was just wondering if any of that "doom and gloom" mantra the rest of the country has been fed the past 5 years is true, but from what it seems like, it is only true to some extent.

I wonder between the 3 states, which one is the most international? California and Texas are both relatively connected to Mexico, while Florida seems connected more toward the Caribbean.
Oh there is no doubt that there are racists on the West Coas , I have visited LA quite a few times and I noticed some racism there. I notice it in some parts of Oregon too. It exists everywhere, I just noticed it in certain areas more so than others.

Yeah the Bay Area is still somewhat far from Oregon, but it is within driving distance. I prefer to fly, which is only like a couple hours. I don't want to live in Southern California because I have no family there, except for a crazy Grandmother in San Diego who I never met. My brother used to live in Ocean Side but from what I've been told that place is a dump. The furthest south I've been is the LA area, and there are many social conservatives there, especially in Orange County.

Overall I'm happy here, even if my political views are different. Politics isn't brought up here in day to day life anyway, and the people who find out about my views are respectful for the most part, just say agree to disagree type of thing.

You should check it out! It's worth a visit.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Cali has the most to offer hands down. Best jobs, best scenery, etc. Florida offers a lot of that in a different way. Texas isn't even on the radar in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:45 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Cali has the most to offer hands down. Best jobs, best scenery, etc. Florida offers a lot of that in a different way. Texas isn't even on the radar in my opinion.
Florida doesn't have that many opportunities like you think. Most of the jobs tend to be in tourism, and the wages are ridiculously low. Florida is one the worst paying states in the country.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Florida doesn't have that many opportunities like you think. Most of the jobs tend to be in tourism, and the wages are ridiculously low. Florida is one the worst paying states in the country.
Sorry meant the scenery and etc parts only. Our wages here are low but just looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole picture.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Sorry meant the scenery and etc parts only. Our wages here are low but just looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole picture.
Well. You did say it was your opinion.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,871 times
Quote:
You could say that for Texas. "Texas has a lot of what California has, but in a different way."

Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/gsp0613.pdf

California GDP: $2,003,479 million
Texas GDP: $1,397,369 million
Florida GDP: $777,164 million

Why is Florida's economy so much smaller than California or Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City