Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,294 times

Advertisements

And didn't Washington defeat Daley in the Democractic primary? (Daley, by the way, finished in third place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Goodbye, gtownoe. I think you guys should creat your own city-data. One where only positive comments about Chicago will be allowed. No one could mention segregation, corruption or Cubs terrible track record LOL

Did you happen to create this little screen name Take2dementorosito57??

Posters who come to this site for intelligent discussion would like to see all trolls gone regardless of which city thet decide to attack or blindlessly and falsely take up for. New Yorkers and Chicagoans would agree.

We would know because many of us (gasp) actually talk to each other and engage in intelligent conversation.

I remember back in the day when people used to come to this site to get intelligent, informed information from residents. Way back before the likes of you and Ralph Furley.

I hate trolls, whether they're from Chicago, NYC, ot Timbuktu

Old 08-30-2009, 03:30 PM

197 posts, read 181,996 times
No, his inability to efficiently deal with the racial issues did.
Again, Dinkins was welcomed to the office while Washington could not get the city council to approve his appointments:

During one of the first Council meetings, Harold Washington was unable to get his appointments approved. Harold Washington and the twenty-one ward representatives that supported him, walked out of the meeting after a quorum had been established. Vrdolyak and the other twenty-eight were able to appoint all of the boards and chairs. Later lawsuits submitted by Harold Washington and others were dismissed because it was determined that the appointments were legally made.

What are you comparing here????

Old 08-30-2009, 03:35 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Beverly is almost all black nowadays. Very segregated.

Uptown and Edgewater are integrated. I'll give you that.

Lincoln Square is definitely NOT integrated. Yuppie in one part, Mexican in the other.

South Loop? LOL. Horrible ghetto on one side, half-empty yuppie condos on other side.

Bridgeport? LOL. Racist and 0% black, while surrounding neighborhoods are 100% black. Many incidents of African Americans being attacked for walking through Bridgeport.

A few Asians, but only bordering Chinatown.

Armour Square? 100% Mexican or 100% black, depending on side of neighborhood.

North Center? Yuppie on one side, Mexican on the other.

Albany Park? Yes, definitely. Albany Park is very diverse, and actually reminds me of parts of the outer boroughs of NYC. Nothing else in Chicago comes close.

Beverly is majority white, 32% black

Armour Square 60% Asian(Chinese). Most of it is Chinatown

Bridgeport I give you that, it is intolerant of blacks. But Chinese make up 26% of Bridgeport. Less than 50% of it is actually white

Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
No, his inability to efficiently deal with the racial issues did.
Again, Dinkins was welcomed to the office while Washington could not get the city council to approve his appointments:

During one of the first Council meetings, Harold Washington was unable to get his appointments approved. Harold Washington and the twenty-one ward representatives that supported him, walked out of the meeting after a quorum had been established. Vrdolyak and the other twenty-eight were able to appoint all of the boards and chairs. Later lawsuits submitted by Harold Washington and others were dismissed because it was determined that the appointments were legally made.

What are you comparing here?

Nice editing attempt. Read what follows.

Washington ruled by veto. The twenty-nine could not get the thirtieth vote they needed to override Washington's veto; African American, Latino and white liberal aldermen supported Washington despite pressure from the Eddies. Meanwhile, in the courts, Washington kept the pressure on to reverse the redistricting of City Council wards that white Democrats had pushed through during the Byrne years. Finally, when special elections were ordered in 1986, victorious Washington-backed candidates gave him the 25–25 split he needed. His vote as chairman of the City Council enabled him to break the deadlock and enact his programs.

Washington defeated former mayor Jane Byrne in the February 24, 1987, Democratic mayoral primary by 7.2%, 53.5% to 46.3%, and in the April 7, 1987, mayoral general election defeated Vrdolyak (Illinois Solidarity Party) by 11.8%, 53.8% to 42.8%, with Northwestern University business professor Donald Haider (Republican) getting 4.3%, to win reelection to a second term as mayor. Cook County Assessor Thomas Hynes (Chicago First Party), a Daley ally, dropped out of the race 36 hours before the mayoral general election. During Washington's short second term, the Eddies fell from power: Vrdolyak became a Republican, Kelly was removed from his powerful parks post, and Burke lost his power as finance chair.

And by the way, he actually was re-elected, unlike Dinkins. His long-term replacement was also African-American.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Did you happen to create this little screen name Take2dementorosito57??
Didn't you announce you are putting me on your ignore list recently? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We would know because many of us (gasp) actually talk to each other and engage in intelligent conversation.

Yes, conversation that start with "Chicago is a great city" and nobody mentions rampant corruption, racial segregation and all admire the Cubs for their incredible track record. I told you create your own website where only Illinoians, Iowans and maybe Hossiers are allowed. Then you can do your daily "oh and ah" sessions over greatneess of Chicago Tribune journalism, world-famous Chicago culture and world-class status of your city LOL

Last edited by take2; 08-30-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Nice editing attempt. Read what follows.

Washington ruled by veto. The twenty-nine could not get the thirtieth vote they needed to override Washington's veto; African American, Latino and white liberal aldermen supported Washington despite pressure from the Eddies. Meanwhile, in the courts, Washington kept the pressure on to reverse the redistricting of City Council wards that white Democrats had pushed through during the Byrne years. Finally, when special elections were ordered in 1986, victorious Washington-backed candidates gave him the 25–25 split he needed. His vote as chairman of the City Council enabled him to break the deadlock and enact his programs.

Washington defeated former mayor Jane Byrne in the February 24, 1987, Democratic mayoral primary by 7.2%, 53.5% to 46.3%, and in the April 7, 1987, mayoral general election defeated Vrdolyak (Illinois Solidarity Party) by 11.8%, 53.8% to 42.8%, with Northwestern University business professor Donald Haider (Republican) getting 4.3%, to win reelection to a second term as mayor. Cook County Assessor Thomas Hynes (Chicago First Party), a Daley ally, dropped out of the race 36 hours before the mayoral general election. During Washington's short second term, the Eddies fell from power: Vrdolyak became a Republican, Kelly was removed from his powerful parks post, and Burke lost his power as finance chair.

And by the way, he actually was re-elected, unlike Dinkins. His long-term replacement was also African-American.
Dinkins was not reelected following the tenure by the most admired and succesfull XX century mayor of New York: Rudy Gulliani. And who was the Washington's long term African-American replacement? Daley? LOL Keep on reading.

Read again about Washington time in the office, tells you a lot about mentality of most white Chicagoans, including the so-called "yes-but-not-in-my-neighborhood" liberals, like the Vrdolyak, Rostenkowski or Daley, all prominent Democrats, who would nevertheless go against their own party's nominee to ensure white supremation in Chicago continues. H*ll, even the current mayor was a supporter of segregation in Chicago:

Washington's first term in office was characterized by ugly, racially polarized battles dubbed "Council Wars", referring to the then-recent Star Wars films. A 29–21 City Council majority refused to enact Washington's reform legislation and prevented him from appointing reform nominees to boards and commissions.
(...)
The twenty-nine, also known as the Vrdolyak Twenty-nine, was led by "the Eddies": Alderman Ed Vrdolyak, Finance Chair Edward Burke and Parks Commissioner Edmund Kelly. The Eddies were supported by State's Attorney Richard M. Daley, U.S. Congressmen Dan Rostenkowski and William Lipinski, and other powerful white Democrats.

And nevertheless you keep on voting Daley to the office, over and over again. Nothing ever changes in Chicago LOL

Last edited by take2; 08-30-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,652 times
Quote:
Really, cause this says Beverly has a white majority...
Beverly, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Census numbers. Take a drive west to Beverly. There's been very heavy white flight during the 00's. Beverly is definitely majority black nowadays.
Quote:
No Asians in Bridgeport either, I see. And I walked around. Nothing happened to me.
Wow, you walked around once and weren't attacked. That must mean it's integrated, right?

The Asians are not in Bridgeport proper. They are in Chinatown.
Quote:
South Loop also has a sizeable contingent of black professionals, sir. And I see "ghetto" connotates black for you. Mmmhmm...
No, projects connotes "ghetto" to me. And the South Loop has tons of horrible projects. The South Loop is segregated between a project side and a yuppie side. It has nothing to do with race.

You are right that some of the South Loop condos are somewhat integrated with different races of yuppies, but mostly they are just half-empty and failing.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Agree 100%...
And of course there are gorgeous women in NY. Some of the top modeling agencies are located there.
My husband is a former Native New Yorker. He worked for a very large company in Manhattan as a Journeyman Electrician. Funny cause he had mentioned that his work took him all over and he was in shock when he had to go do an electrical job at a modeling agency. He said as the models came in for their photo shoots they had no make-up on and it was not a pretty sight to see them before the make-up artists got to them.

I was in NY for the first time for me last year; in all honesty I really didn't find the people to be overly friendly, but then I've found that in many other States also.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
My husband is a former Native New Yorker. He worked for a very large company in Manhattan as a Journeman Electrician. Funny cause he had mentioned that his work took him all over and he was in shock when he had to go do an electrical job at a modeling agency. He said as the models came in for their photo shoots they had no make-up on and it was not a pretty sight to see them before the make-up artists got to them.
Not every female in NYC is a super model. Actually lot of supermodels don't come from NYC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City